Opinions of Americans

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2014, 12:29 PM
RE: Opinions of Americans
As my first message I have to take part in this thread as I've had quite many conversations with my friends about how we Europeans differ from Americans. I've travelled quite a lot and I think I can safely say that the amount of foreign individuals that I've had a pleasure of talking with is at least couple of hundred.

Anyway, the point is that I'm in a way a bit of an asshole that I test people the first time I meet them and see how sensitive they are to opposing world views or politically incorrect humour. I do this so I can see if a person is really open to free conversation in which you don't have to hold back.

So let's say that I meet a person and I can immediately start a conversation about religion, politics or just try get a reaction with a non pc joke. Some people understand what I'm trying to do and shut me off completely or engage the conversation and usually if we continue talking we realize we have quite matching ideas. Some people just get really offended or look at me like "Who the hell is this guy? Who invited him?"

Now, I have to say that Americans usually end up looking me like "Who invited this idiot?". I base this totally scientifcally and empirically sound study on at least 20 encounters with Americans and talks with my friends from different European countries who have had the same issue with Americans, they get really easily offended or confused if someone brings up a controversial subject.

I really like American people, this is just a curious thing I've noticed over the years. What do you think?

And please don't think of me as some dude who annoys everyone at the party, as a salesman I have a quite good eye how to get along with everyone and very rarely piss anyone off or make mortal enemies Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Tatuks's post
16-05-2014, 12:32 PM
(16-05-2014 12:29 PM)Tatuks Wrote:  As my first message I have to take part in this thread as I've had quite many conversations with my friends about how we Europeans differ from Americans. I've travelled quite a lot and I think I can safely say that the amount of foreign individuals that I've had a pleasure of talking with is at least couple of hundred.

Anyway, the point is that I'm in a way a bit of an asshole that I test people the first time I meet them and see how sensitive they are to opposing world views or politically incorrect humour. I do this so I can see if a person is really open to free conversation in which you don't have to hold back.

So let's say that I meet a person and I can immediately start a conversation about religion, politics or just try get a reaction with a non pc joke. Some people understand what I'm trying to do and shut me off completely or engage the conversation and usually if we continue talking we realize we have quite matching ideas. Some people just get really offended or look at me like "Who the hell is this guy? Who invited him?"

Now, I have to say that Americans usually end up looking me like "Who invited this idiot?". I base this totally scientifcally and empirically sound study on at least 20 encounters with Americans and talks with my friends from different European countries who have had the same issue with Americans, they get really easily offended or confused if someone brings up a controversial subject.

I really like American people, this is just a curious thing I've noticed over the years. What do you think?

And please don't think of me as some dude who annoys everyone at the party, as a salesman I have a quite good eye how to get along with everyone and very rarely piss anyone off or make mortal enemies Big Grin

It's the salesman thing, no one likes a salesman. Tongue

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
16-05-2014, 12:35 PM
(16-05-2014 12:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It's the salesman thing, no one likes a salesman. Tongue

Yeah, it's usually not very high on the list of most respected professions Smile
16-05-2014, 12:48 PM
(16-05-2014 12:35 PM)Tatuks Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 12:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It's the salesman thing, no one likes a salesman. Tongue

Yeah, it's usually not very high on the list of most respected professions Smile

Coulda been worse... coulda been bible salesman. Drinking Beverage

Welcome to TTA Smile

16-05-2014, 12:55 PM
(16-05-2014 12:48 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 12:35 PM)Tatuks Wrote:  Yeah, it's usually not very high on the list of most respected professions Smile

Coulda been worse... coulda been bible salesman. Drinking Beverage

Welcome to TTA Smile

If he pisses people off right from the get go...... he probably is. Beat_stick

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
16-05-2014, 01:01 PM
(16-05-2014 12:55 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 12:48 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Coulda been worse... coulda been bible salesman. Drinking Beverage

Welcome to TTA Smile

Someone is getting very cynical in their old age. Dodgy

Maybe if you could spare a minute to talk about Our Lord Jesus... Angel

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
16-05-2014, 01:05 PM
(16-05-2014 12:55 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 12:48 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Coulda been worse... coulda been bible salesman. Drinking Beverage

Welcome to TTA Smile

Door to door bible salesman Thumbsup

Nah, don't get me wrong, I don't piss people off. It's just my way to see what kind of reaction I get from people and what kind of discussion I can have. Of course I have also American friends who understand my weird way of trying new people I meet.
[+] 1 user Likes Tatuks's post
16-05-2014, 01:08 PM
(16-05-2014 12:29 PM)Tatuks Wrote:  As my first message I have to take part in this thread as I've had quite many conversations with my friends about how we Europeans differ from Americans. I've travelled quite a lot and I think I can safely say that the amount of foreign individuals that I've had a pleasure of talking with is at least couple of hundred.

It's true, we tend to be a bunch of sensitive nancies. Really annoying if you ask me, because I'm all for the non-politically correct type of humor. I also forget that people find the word "cunt" really offensive in this country. Big fucking whoop, it's just a word to me.

We also have a really unhealthy relationship with sex and nudity in the public sphere, being ridiculously censored and tabooed, yet constantly being presented on the cusp at every turn. Fashion models, pop icons wearing skimpy outfits, skintight clothing, etc. Sexuality is CONSTANTLY on display, but the moment a nipple pops up on television, moral guardians go into a panic. Positively absurd if you ask me.

Then again, Europe has their knickers in a twist over violence in the media. The governments seem to think that if they don't bowdlerize all the violent video games until the enemies bleed sunshine and rainbows that people will be influenced to actually go and act out their violent impulses.

Sensitive nancies are everywhere, they just take different forms.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
16-05-2014, 01:18 PM
(16-05-2014 01:08 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Then again, Europe has their knickers in a twist over violence in the media. The governments seem to think that if they don't bowdlerize all the violent video games until the enemies bleed sunshine and rainbows that people will be influenced to actually go and act out their violent impulses.

Sensitive nancies are everywhere, they just take different forms.

And again, I want to make sure that being overly sensitive about non pc jokes and controversial subjects is not a bad thing, it is, as you said, just a different type of whiner Big Grin

Very true. Germany especially is overly zealous with video game violence. Going back like 15 years when Finland didn't have yet it's own regional video game releases we had to get our games imported from some other European country and that meant that Fallout 2 had to be a copy from US so you could have children, Carmageddon 2 also so you wouldn't have zombies as pedestrians.
[+] 1 user Likes Tatuks's post
16-05-2014, 01:21 PM
(16-05-2014 01:01 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 12:55 PM)War Horse Wrote:  If he pisses people off right from the get go...... he probably is. Beat_stick

Someone is getting very cynical in their old age. Dodgy

Maybe if you could spare a minute to talk about Our Lord Jesus... Angel

I could take a minute to kick your ass.... Laugh out load .... oops, I mean Angry

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.