Opinions of Americans

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2014, 07:55 AM
RE: Opinions of Americans
Born and raised in the US....

Had the opportunity to live in Switzerland for a couple of years.....

Cultural differences:
1. Switzerland (and most of the other European countries I visited - except for southern Italy) was far far more clean than the US. Roadside/trailside trash is virtually unheard of. And the water in lakes, streams, ponds, creeks is crystal clear.
2. At least in Switzerland, lack of crime. Folks simply do not lock things up. Bikes are never chained or locked (there are huge numbers of them in Switzerland.) Murder and assault is so rare as to be unheard of. Little kids are as safe on public transportation (trams, trains, busses) as they are at home.
3. Food is tasty; pizza is served unsliced, but big. Desserts are out of this world (pastries and such), and bread is fresh baked and crusted.
4. The Swiss don't know how to grow onions; scallions yes, onions no. The ones in the food store are small and hard as a rock.
5. Most of the Swiss I've met are multi-lingual. They speak (at least) their native Swiss, German, French, and most likely Italian.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2014, 08:58 AM
(17-05-2014 07:42 AM)cjlr Wrote:  You're from SA, right? What part? Are accents geographical there, or is it more based on first language - afrikaans, english, zulu, or whatever?

Zimbabwe... Zimbos tend to sound more English than other Southern Africans 'cos there was a lot of emigration there from Britain after WW2.

But yeah, it's ethnicity that has the biggest effect on accent I'd say, although... I mean that's pretty much a given, if you're French you're gonna speak English with a French accent... There's not a helluva lot of regional variation that I've noticed, but you can definitely pick up when you hear an SA accent overseas.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Interesting thread until it was derailed from talking about icing.

I have a love/hate relationship with America and this has nothing to do with the fact that I live in the lowliest of States, Florida.

One thing I have noticed no matter where I travel in the US or abroad I have always found:

- Kind, generous people with a ready smile and assholes who need an ass-whoopin'.

- Open minded individuals with a live and let live mentality and neurotic assholes who need an ass-whoopin'.

- Delicious, well prepared gourmet foods and chefs/cooks who need an ass-whoopin'.

- Educated and smart people and ignorant fucktards who need an ass-whoopin'.

Just saying... in all my travels I have always found both extremes and that leads me to conclude that no country has a monopoly on any of the above. Apparently neither kindness or stupidity have frontiers.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
17-05-2014, 11:42 AM
(17-05-2014 10:33 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Interesting thread until it was derailed from talking about icing.

I have a love/hate relationship with America and this has nothing to do with the fact that I live in the lowliest of States, Florida.

One thing I have noticed no matter where I travel in the US or abroad I have always found:

- Kind, generous people with a ready smile and assholes who need an ass-whoopin'.

- Open minded individuals with a live and let live mentality and neurotic assholes who need an ass-whoopin'.

- Delicious, well prepared gourmet foods and chefs/cooks who need an ass-whoopin'.

Just saying... in all my travels I have always found both extremes and that leads me to conclude that no country has a monopoly on any of the above. Apparently neither kindness or stupidity have frontiers.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. Well said. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
17-05-2014, 12:35 PM
(16-05-2014 03:46 PM)Charis Wrote:  Hey Anj, I say we arrange a threesome...

He wouldn't stand a chance in the shower with the two of us.

Interesting...

I suddenly think all Americans are bad in bed too. Feel free to prove me wrong. Angel

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

-Bertrand Russell
[+] 4 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
17-05-2014, 01:16 PM
(17-05-2014 12:35 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 03:46 PM)Charis Wrote:  Hey Anj, I say we arrange a threesome...

He wouldn't stand a chance in the shower with the two of us.

Interesting...

I suddenly think all Americans are bad in bed too. Feel free to prove me wrong. Angel
Yabut... logical fallacy!
Smartass I would have to arrange threesomes with you, me and every other American in order to pr--
oh.... right..... Cool

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 5 users Like Charis's post
18-05-2014, 08:03 AM
I think Americans are a lot like us Newfies.
- We love guns.
- We don't like foreigners moving in but visiting is cool.
-We have an over inflated sense of "national" pride.
-We eat too much salt and fat.
-We talk funny.
-We are awesome if you come visit us in our homelands but if we visit you we come off as arrogant as fuck.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
18-05-2014, 08:37 AM
There's not one other super power in the world that i want except USA.

As for americans, i like the women, they are robust. Not all, but when you find the nail it really hits!
19-05-2014, 08:21 AM
(17-05-2014 01:16 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(17-05-2014 12:35 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Interesting...

Yabut... logical fallacy!
Smartass I would have to arrange threesomes with you, me and every other American in order to pr--
oh.... right..... Cool

As an American I agree, I'm bad in bed. Wanna help me learn? Evil_monster
19-05-2014, 08:22 AM
(17-05-2014 10:33 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Interesting thread until it was derailed from talking about icing.

Agreed.