Opinions on "Moral Orel"

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
17-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Opinions on "Moral Orel"
That show from adult swim about the overly religious kid in the overly religious town with heavy moral decay. I have watched it a few times, and it seems like something I would be interested in. Basically, there is a Christian child that tries his hardest to follow to Bible, but he chooses some pretty bad versus to follow (Such as how to properly enslave someone).

It gets a few chuckles from me, but what do others think? Too immature, or does it have valid points. You can watch a few episodes here:
http://video.adultswim.com/moral-orel/index.html

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2010, 09:47 AM
RE: Opinions on "Moral Orel"
I don't know about the message, but I never found it all that funny. I don't care so much about the anti-religious bit as the comedy; it could be pro-religious and I would still watch it if it made me laugh.

...It doesn't.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
23-03-2010, 02:45 PM

I have seen a few episodes of the show, and it came off more creepy than funny to me. At the end I felt very uncomfortable.
Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2010, 03:30 PM

I kinda' liked it. I didn't laugh out loud so much but I thought it was funny. I don't know how much I could actually sit and watch but that kind of subtle sarcasm generally puts me in a pretty good mood. I definitely wouldn't call it immature. It does have a lot of relevant observations that might not come across so well in another format. And it does address some of the idiocy around us. I'm glad it was brought it to my attention. I'll probably tune in again.
23-03-2010, 06:30 PM

I have to agree with Grassharpper. While there were a few points that had me laughing, mostly it was an amusing look at how people can (and often do) interpret the stories, and how they can be made to show that anything is acceptable.
Definitely worth watching, imo.
23-03-2010, 07:45 PM
(23-03-2010 06:30 PM)Kordis Wrote:  I have to agree with Grassharpper. While there were a few points that had me laughing, mostly it was an amusing look at how people can (and often do) interpret the stories, and how they can be made to show that anything is acceptable.
Definitely worth watching, imo.

Yeah, but they get boring quickly. You can't watch more than one at a time, but that one episode often brings up valid points.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
23-03-2010, 08:48 PM

It was ok, but I have seen better. It seems like they could make it better, but don't wanna offend.
23-03-2010, 10:05 PM

(23-03-2010 08:48 PM)Packilvania Wrote:  It was ok, but I have seen better. It seems like they could make it better, but don't wanna offend.
Now see---if they made it any better, it wouldn't be as good as it is. Part of the charm is that it's not that great.
30-09-2014, 08:21 AM

Wow... bringing an old thread to life here! Sort of in tune with the first episode. I really like this show, and it got better as it went along. How can you not laugh at;

Doughy - Orel! You know you're not supposed to think when it comes to God and faith!
Librarian - I'm making a list of books. Special books.
Doughy - Are they special because they teach us the most?
Librarian - Mmm yes. In fact they teach us too much.
Orel - Gee dad, I'm sorry I goofed up. I was just trying to be good, so you could love me more then you do now.
Dad - Oh Orel, I could never love you more. People only have a certain amount of love in them, and I'm afraid I have to divide mine up between at least a dozen people.
Orel - Oh.
Dad - But remember son, I love you enough.

There are three seasons available here: http://www.adultswim.com/videos/moral-orel/

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. - Ambrose Bierce (The Devil's Dictionary)