Opinions on maximum human lifespan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Opinions on maximum human lifespan
So how long do you all want to live?

Scientist are working to extend life well into the second century but I'm not sure it's such a good thing. The Earth is having a hard time sustaining the population that we have now much less generations that will live to be 120 and beyond but it seems to be what the future is bringing.

One consideration is that people might become less religious, which in my opinion is great, but the downside is people would have to work longer and retire at 90. Then I keep thinking of all the laundry, cleaning and cooking I'd have to do. Like, 40 more years of household chores. That's not a minor detail in my practical mind.

What would you do with all that extra time, that is if you were healthy and feeling fine at 120 years old.

Opinions? Comments?

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2013, 07:26 PM
RE: Opinions on maximum human lifespan
Can we volunteer for interstellar travel? If so, I'm all for extending my lifespan!

But if I'm going to live longer, I want a robot to take care of all those things like working and laundry. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
30-05-2013, 07:38 PM
(30-05-2013 07:26 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  ... But if I'm going to live longer, I want a robot to take care of all those things like working and laundry. Smile

Only proles get to live forever.

Dying is a ruling class privilege. Shocking

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Abdul Alhazred's post
30-05-2013, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2013 09:51 PM by houseofcantor.)
(30-05-2013 07:21 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So how long do you all want to live?

Opinions? Comments?

I heard the carrying capacity for the brain is three hundred years of consistent memory. If true, anything else could not be "myself," and thus ridiculous.

But, speaking of myself... 45. My shit is packed and ready to go. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-05-2013, 08:52 PM
I'd live for as long as humanly possible. With advancements in medicine and engineering, even at 120 I would still be able to do many things. I could walk with an exoskeleton assistant, see well with ocular implants, use computers for the things I already do such as art, writing, and games... Being 120 isn't bad if you are able to continue with your interests.

Though ideally I'd live forever.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
30-05-2013, 11:17 PM
I'm more of this opinion

There has never been an intelligent person of the age of sixty who would consent to live his life over again. His or anyone else's.
- Letters from the Earth, Mark Twain

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
31-05-2013, 12:32 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2013 04:11 AM by fmanh2.)
(30-05-2013 08:52 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  I'd live for as long as humanly possible. With advancements in medicine and engineering, even at 120 I would still be able to do many things. I could walk with an exoskeleton assistant, see well with ocular implants, use computers for the things I already do such as art, writing, and games... Being 120 isn't bad if you are able to continue with your interests.

Though ideally I'd live forever.

I would imagine that the current research is geared to simply stop the ageing process. Significant advances has been made and animal test has been performed where the subjects life's has been extended several times their normal life expectancy. It's not that you would reach 120 and live in an old body. You would be 120 and have the body of a 20 year old... That opens up new possibilities. And it would frighten the pant of the evangelicals... :-) as it would take away their main selling point :-). Well, it's one thing to prolong the life of a mouse and quite another to do it on a human. But were getting there. Faster than we think I would imagine (there is a lot of money in this, and a lot of people with wealth who is spear heading the development). This, in turn, poses some interesting ethical questions for society at large. How to handle prison sentences for instance? If you get 400 years for some horrific crime it normally would be considered life. But in this case you actually be in the position; would this person be sentenced to death, or an actual 400 year imprisonment? How to deal with pensions? 30 years of productive work 500 years of bliss? :-). Or what about the concept of marriage? It is one thing to be married to a spouse for 'life' when for life means 20-30 years, quite another when it means 500+. How do you handle availability? If it involves a cost would it be shared by the society to allow a uniform access for everyone or would it be based on the individuals resources (i.e. their ability to pay for themselves?)? Interesting questions...
31-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Living for 500 years would wear me out. Just the thought of that length of time makes me tired. The marriage ceremony would have to be changed to something else, like....."til life do you part". Churches would be empty though, that's for sure.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
31-05-2013, 02:46 PM
(31-05-2013 02:44 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Living for 500 years would wear me out. Just the thought of that length of time makes me tired. The marriage ceremony would have to be changed to something else, like....."til life do you part". Churches would be empty though, that's for sure.

Whoa! Hold on here! You never said marriage was part of living longer. If that were the case, then hell no!

(says the middle-aged single guy). Dodgy

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
31-05-2013, 09:52 PM
We don't actually know exactly why we are doomed to die yet. There are a few competing theories. I saw a program with Michio Kaku on the subject. I beleive there are a finite amount of times our cells can split, but I have no clue to the why behind the why. Anyhow, I would prefer to live forever. Yep, forever. Short of that I'd take catching Vampirism. However long I live it won't be long enough.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post