Poll: Do you think the federal hourly min. wage should increase?
Yes. It should go to $15 (or more)
Yes. But to something in the $9-$12 range, then it should rise with inflation.
No. It should stay as is.
No. We shouldn't even have a fed. Min. wage.
Other. Read my post to see my brilliance!
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Opinions on the proposed US $15 Min. Wage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2016, 03:58 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2016 04:06 PM by Adrianime.)
Opinions on the proposed US $15 Min. Wage
I think $10 would probably be fine, but that is mostly based on knowing the cost of living in my area. It is much lower in other areas, so $10 ($20k/yr full time) might not be necessary.

$15 ($30K/yr full time) on the other hand seems too high.

I'd say surviving on $1000 a month might not be glamorous, but in no way is it impossible.

I think there are two different aspects of this though:
Ethically: "Should we raise the minimum wage? How much?"
My take: Sure, some. And keep it rising with inflation.

Economically: "What is the impact of raising the minimum wage"
My take: A small rise probably won't make too huge of a splash. But a 50%-100% rise is too extreme. If I imagine myself as a business owner with say 360 man hours/week of employees (9 full time) at $9/hr, I can work the numbers and see how a rise to $15/hr in base labor wage would absolutely cut my profits. $6*360 = $2160 PER WEEK of extra labor costs (it's actually more than that, but I'm not going to calculate any types of insurance pools into this). That's an extra $112,320 per year. How as a small business owner can I cover that costs?
I can raise my prices and risk losing my customer base.
I can introduce new products and hope that increases profit, which may fail miserably.
I can take it out of MY paycheck. But wait, I only make $100K-$150K per year? If I take it out of my check I'll be making minimum wage as a business owner.
I can cut my staff and try to survive with less people doing all the previous work.
I can find ways to automate previous tasks so that I can have less staff (this is the solution I would choose).
I'm sure there are other solutions, but I'm not entrepreneur.

But ultimately, it looks like lowest risk options involve letting people go. That's how I see many business owners responding to an increase to $15/hr and it just seems to defeat the whole point. $8, $9, or $10 is certainly better than $0.

Anyways, I didn't mean to get into this as much as I did. I'm mostly curious to hear what other people think. Please vote and/or express yourself.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2016, 04:12 PM
RE: Opinions on the proposed US $15 Min. Wage
I also think the number $15 across the board really ignores cost of living differences in different areas and for people with different situations.

Single person. Single person with a kid. 2 kids. 3 kids. etc. Living in MI vs WA. This isn't simple enough for one number to solve the problem of poverty. Especially when it comes down to...Where is the money coming from?

[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
25-05-2016, 04:14 PM
(25-05-2016 03:58 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'd say surviving on $1000 a month might not be glamorous, but in no way is it impossible.

It is impossible if the lowest rent for the area you live in is more than $1000/month. ... I mean unless you go street and shit.

#sigh
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-05-2016, 04:15 PM
(25-05-2016 04:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-05-2016 03:58 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'd say surviving on $1000 a month might not be glamorous, but in no way is it impossible.

It is impossible if the lowest rent for the area you live in is more than $1000/month.
Roommates and move to an area you can afford.

25-05-2016, 04:18 PM
(25-05-2016 04:15 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(25-05-2016 04:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It is impossible if the lowest rent for the area you live in is more than $1000/month.
Roomates and move to an area you can afford.

I ain't got no funds to move to an area I can afford.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-05-2016, 04:20 PM
I have read that if it had been raised with inflation it wold be higher than that already. It should be raised to $15.00 immediately and then pegged to inflation as Social Security is. Those of us who paid in for 45 years some a bit more and some a bit less (myself 48) get an adjustment hooked to inflation. This year 2016 no raise at all etc.. But the minimum wage should be done the same way.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
25-05-2016, 04:23 PM
"That's an extra $112,320 per year. How as a small business owner can I cover that costs?
I can raise my prices and risk losing my customer base." You can come to the realization that all of your competitors have the same basic reality to live with.
25-05-2016, 04:25 PM
(25-05-2016 04:20 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  I have read that if it had been raised with inflation it wold be higher than that already. It should be raised to $15.00 immediately and then pegged to inflation as Social Security is. Those of us who paid in for 45 years some a bit more and some a bit less (myself 48) get an adjustment hooked to inflation. This year 2016 no raise at all etc.. But the minimum wage should be done the same way.

According to this chart
the fed. min wage has never been more than the equivalent of $10.34 in 2012 dollars when factoring in inflation.

25-05-2016, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2016 04:33 PM by Adrianime.)
(25-05-2016 04:23 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  "That's an extra $112,320 per year. How as a small business owner can I cover that costs?
I can raise my prices and risk losing my customer base." You can come to the realization that all of your competitors have the same basic reality to live with.
True in some cases. Unless I have a unique boutique, or my competition is a national chain that can absorb these changes easier than I can.

EDIT: Also, if my competition chooses to automate and cut labor--keeping prices constant, then raising prices is NOT a good strategy.

25-05-2016, 04:49 PM
(25-05-2016 04:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

It is impossible if the lowest rent for the area you live in is more than $1000/month. ... I mean unless you go street and shit.

My social security for the month is just short of that $1000 figure, so I moved out of the USA where I can live on that. Rent of $215 monthly. Electric under $25 fresh fruits and veggies locally grown. But there is no minimum wage here. Many working people earn less than half that much.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post