Poll: Do you think the federal hourly min. wage should increase?
Yes. It should go to $15 (or more)
Yes. But to something in the $9-$12 range, then it should rise with inflation.
No. It should stay as is.
No. We shouldn't even have a fed. Min. wage.
Other. Read my post to see my brilliance!
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Opinions on the proposed US $15 Min. Wage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2016, 01:28 PM
RE: Opinions on the proposed US $15 Min. Wage
(02-06-2016 10:46 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(02-06-2016 09:14 AM)Losty Wrote:  I wonder if you have any idea how the real world works when you're not young and single. Lol.

Some people cannot afford to move. If they can't pay the rent where you live then you're just stuck living in your car or wherever. I make more than a $1000 a month and it is still super difficult to make ends meet.

Some people have kids. Some people had kids in an ideal financial environment and now for some reason or other find themselves in a bad place with debt from some unforeseen issue and income only from a $10 an hour job sure isn't enough to stay afloat.
Sure, for some it is not an option. But I also know those who live with their family for years after having children, or do split a rental multiple ways because it's all they can afford. Having kids does make it much more difficult, but there are still often options. 4 years ago I was living with my Mom, my sister, her husband, and their 4 kids. It took them a few years to improve their situation so they could move out and live the way they wanted, but they did it. Of course not everybody has family to do this with. But living with friends, or possibly interviewing several people to find appropriate roommates is still something people do.

I can only look like a heartless bastard in saying this, but I really advocate people doing what they need to do to survive in the short term. AND doing what they need to do to improve themselves so they can get what they want in the long term. If $10/hr doesn't cut it, make sacrifices and survive, and find a way to earn more via researching other jobs and acquiring new skills.

Ya can't learn to swim if you don't go in the deep water.............

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2016, 03:37 PM
(25-05-2016 03:58 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I think there are two different aspects of this though:
Ethically: "Should we raise the minimum wage? How much?"
My take: Sure, some. And keep it rising with inflation.
Ethics is just made up stuff, this isn't even a real thing.

(25-05-2016 03:58 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Economically: "What is the impact of raising the minimum wage"
I feel the topic is more about the effectiveness, validity of minimum wage, this is a topic many countries face, so I do feel it unnecessary to limit this thread to USA.

Rather than be excluded, yet again, by Americans on this forum, I'm going to take this in the more general sense and from the topic of "minimum wage" in any country.

Forcing companies to pay minimum wage unnaturally sets a higher value on the skills and work being requested from (generally) unskilled laborers.

It forces the price of goods and services up, it makes some businesses un-economical to operate. It benefits overseas companies or manufacturers and hence reduces amount of available jobs locally, it reduces tax because companies aren't flourishing and jobs aren't there to be had.

You don't fix economic problems by raising minimum wage. You improve conditions by creating business opportunities, creating a thriving economy, more businesses = more jobs, more jobs equals more spending, more spending = more businesses.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
02-06-2016, 04:38 PM
(02-06-2016 03:37 PM)Stevil Wrote:  You don't fix economic problems by raising minimum wage. You improve conditions by creating business opportunities, creating a thriving economy, more businesses = more jobs, more jobs equals more spending, more spending = more businesses.

Mmmm... But if there's no accepted minimum and people can't get work apart from shitty not-even-minimum-wage-because-there-is-no-minimum jobs, then... isn't that a bit contrary to the spirit of running a country for the benefit of all who live there?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
02-06-2016, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2016 04:48 PM by Adrianime.)
(02-06-2016 03:37 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(25-05-2016 03:58 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I think there are two different aspects of this though:
Ethically: "Should we raise the minimum wage? How much?"
My take: Sure, some. And keep it rising with inflation.
Ethics is just made up stuff, this isn't even a real thing.

(25-05-2016 03:58 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Economically: "What is the impact of raising the minimum wage"
I feel the topic is more about the effectiveness, validity of minimum wage, this is a topic many countries face, so I do feel it unnecessary to limit this thread to USA.

Rather than be excluded, yet again, by Americans on this forum, I'm going to take this in the more general sense and from the topic of "minimum wage" in any country.

Forcing companies to pay minimum wage unnaturally sets a higher value on the skills and work being requested from (generally) unskilled laborers.

It forces the price of goods and services up, it makes some businesses un-economical to operate. It benefits overseas companies or manufacturers and hence reduces amount of available jobs locally, it reduces tax because companies aren't flourishing and jobs aren't there to be had.

You don't fix economic problems by raising minimum wage. You improve conditions by creating business opportunities, creating a thriving economy, more businesses = more jobs, more jobs equals more spending, more spending = more businesses.
Nice input.

Well, the reason this thread is focused on the US, is because the $15 min. wage has been a talking point for a good couple of years now. And now it has even made it to the stage of the presidential primaries. And frankly, I personally see it as a looming threat that contradicts much of how I've chosen my life path, and has the potential to change things for everybody in this country in a negative way.

But I'm happy to hear the input of people in other countries, however I don't think direct comparisons (i.e. "well country X did it, so country Y can too") are always useful since different countries have completely different environments and policies which support different economic decisions.

Based on what you said, do you think a minimum wage should not exist, at all? I find the min. wage useful to ensure that exploitation is not occurring.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
02-06-2016, 05:08 PM
(02-06-2016 04:45 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Based on what you said, do you think a minimum wage should not exist, at all? I find the min. wage useful to ensure that exploitation is not occurring.
I don't have all the answers, it's not a topic that I have extensively researched. I just have my own perception and unqualified opinions.

I'm not sure about the use of minimum wage.
Many countries seem to get by without it.
I like the idea of market forces determining the value of things.

I don't like the idea that a business owner is responsible for paying an employees living expenses.

If, for some reason you (a generic you), think that people ought to work only 40 hours and this ought to cover living expenses then perhaps you may agree to tax money being spent to "top-up" an employee's income?

Of course this will come into abuse. Companies will pay below minimum wage because they know that the govt will top it up and since workers get the total amount, they don't care whether it comes from employer or govt.

But if you force business owners to foot the bill then business will collapse and people will lose their jobs, which is terrible for a society.

In countries where there either isn't a minimum wage or it is very low, you get many people with jobs, it gets them out of bed and into society. In other countries these people sit at home, playing computer games, watching tv and generally doing nothing.

When wages are very low, it means that jobs are in short supply, it means that society isn't thriving. If you raise wages then businesses go under and less jobs are available. It is not helping to make society thrive.

Money is better spend on education and helping businesses to start up. Many businesses fail in their first few years, I have heard that in Aus the government helps businesses start up.