Poll: Do you think the federal hourly min. wage should increase?
Yes. It should go to $15 (or more)
Yes. But to something in the $9-$12 range, then it should rise with inflation.
No. It should stay as is.
No. We shouldn't even have a fed. Min. wage.
Other. Read my post to see my brilliance!
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Opinions on the proposed US $15 Min. Wage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2016, 02:45 AM
RE: Opinions on the proposed US $15 Min. Wage
(25-05-2016 04:12 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I also think the number $15 across the board really ignores cost of living differences in different areas and for people with different situations.
That's why I think there shouldn't be a federal minimum wage. It should either be left up to the individual states or scrapped altogether.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2016, 03:12 AM
(25-05-2016 11:04 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(25-05-2016 10:25 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Minimum wage, if adjusted for inflation, would already be at $15 an hour if it hadn't stagnated after the 70's. People are doing more work now, but for a proportionally smaller piece of the pie than they got decades ago. The rest of the pie that they should have gotten, that they earned, instead went to the 1%. The system is rigged, and the rich keep getting richer and have been bleeding the lower and middle class for decades. You can even see this in politics, where low information voters hate 'the moochers', even when they themselves are some of the biggest dependents on the system (excluding multi-billion dollar companies that pay nothing in taxes of course). Get the low and middle class to hate each other, and nobody notices the theft...
can you help me understand where you get that from?

From what I see here: chart
It doesn't look like it has ever been anything close to $15 equivalent. Unless you mean if it kept increasing at a rate higher than inflation, which it did from in the late 60s fairly consistently (but not really during any other time periods).

Well, even that chart shows a steady increase until it leveled off in the 1970's, before a sharp decline and it's holding pattern at 6~7 and hour. But that also completely ignores worker productivity. People are working harder, doing more in less time, and yet receiving a comparatively smaller and smaller piece of the pie.

Where does all of the extra profits go from that increased productivity? It's not going into the worker's pay.

"The new data continue a trend that goes back decades. From 1973 to 2014, American worker productivity increased 72.2 percent while median worker compensation rose just 8.7 percent. From 1948 to 1973, by contrast, typical worker compensation and productivity grew at roughly the same rate.

Productivity measures the amount of GDP, or economic activity, a worker generates per hour worked. Politicians sometimes claim that boosting productivity is the secret to improving Americans’ living standards, but many economists argue that increased productivity alone has little value unless it is accompanied by growth in wages and benefits."

http://www.epi.org/publication/understan...-its-real/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/work...18f61a3dee

Someone is skimming off the top and keeping it for themselves. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
26-05-2016, 03:17 AM
(25-05-2016 11:17 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(25-05-2016 10:29 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Sure, but that's going to affect your customer service. If people have to wait too long, and your people are overworked and ragged, it's going to be a bad experience all around. Those customers are going to shop elsewhere.

Once again, demand drives business. If you can do the work with less people, you would have. And while you might get away with it for a while, immediate cost savings in the present will cost you more in the future.
I just don't agree with that, but I feel like my examples already addressed it, so I won't add anything else. Sure you will give up bits of customer service, but you can let a bit of that go if you can keep your prices low enough. Just walk into any dollar store (at least here).

Right, so your idea is that Dollar General hires people it doesn't need, because they're so cheap, but that they'll reverse this idiotic and wasteful policy if the minimum wage rises?

If they're too stupid now, why would that change at $15 an hour?

If they're not already operating at capacity, how would $15 an hour change that?

Once again, if they still need X amount of people to run the store while it does Y amount of business; if they're still doing Y business, they still need at least X amount of people to get their shit done.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
26-05-2016, 04:02 AM
Can't hurt to give it a whirl?

There are countries that do have a minimum wage... Could be used as case studies?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
26-05-2016, 05:39 AM
What ever happened to paying what the market will bear????

How about we mandate the price of goods as well???

How about $10 a gallon for gas???

When I first started driving - minimum wage was $1.65 an hour (I was making $1.35) --- and gas was just over a buck a gallon....

So -- it'll only be fair to raise all the prices of goods as well, right?????

You can't mandate riches.

You have to earn them.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-05-2016, 05:57 AM
I would rather see Walmart and fast-food works unionize so that they could negotiate that a certain chunk of the profits get distributed to the employees in the form of either bonuses or increased wage rates. If you don't have the freedom to form a union, you really don't have much freedom at all, and unions (should) give employees the negotiating leverage they desire.
[+] 4 users Like Matt Finney's post
26-05-2016, 08:17 AM
(26-05-2016 03:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(25-05-2016 11:17 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I just don't agree with that, but I feel like my examples already addressed it, so I won't add anything else. Sure you will give up bits of customer service, but you can let a bit of that go if you can keep your prices low enough. Just walk into any dollar store (at least here).

Right, so your idea is that Dollar General hires people it doesn't need, because they're so cheap, but that they'll reverse this idiotic and wasteful policy if the minimum wage rises?

If they're too stupid now, why would that change at $15 an hour?

If they're not already operating at capacity, how would $15 an hour change that?

Once again, if they still need X amount of people to run the store while it does Y amount of business; if they're still doing Y business, they still need at least X amount of people to get their shit done.
No, you misunderstood which point I was making. But I probably should have explained it better. My point was that the dollar stores that I've been to generally have the bare minimum of staff and customer service. Long check out lines, nobody on the floor to help, the place generally doesn't get kept looking as nice as other stores. Yet people still come. If prices are low, customer service can be sacrificed, and people will still come.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
26-05-2016, 08:35 AM
It isn't enough to say simply raise wages. Leaving at that alone ignores what has allowed the exploding pay gap. We are still moving to more part time and prices get raised through the GOP blackmail which with a pay increase keep the ratio the same negating the increase. This bullshit shell game has to stop.

We need corporate welfare to END PERIOD. 15 in less expensive areas of the country would be a start yes, but even 15 in San Francisco or New York City would still not be enough.

We need to get away from low wage part time and multi tasking jobs. We need to get back to at least 1 40 hour principle so that both men and women can have a life outside the job. I am not going to feel sorry one bit for the Kochs or Walmart or Trump or big Oil or big banks or Trump. This bullshit that the left are commies for saying the pay gap is not keeping up with the cost of living is bullshit.

Reagan started failed trickle up economics and only the GOP are the hostage takers. I only blame our politicians for lacking a backbone in that 36 years standing up to them and stupidly allowing their narrative to force us to play their game. But, our voters in that same time have sucked especially in state and congressional midterms. We cant get our dems to push back unless we vote ourselves.

We've stupidly allowed the GOP to make it about personalities instead of banding together.

If you value livable wages, universal heath care, equal pay for women, then your enemy isn't both parties, your enemy is the GOP and OUR OWN voter apathy and lack of unity.

If you value those things then it is up to everyone to unite and stop the GOP and Trump from destroying worker stability. Only a moron thinks after 36 years of "don't tax the rich" will keep working. Even BILLIONAIRE NICK HANAUER says he is not the job creator, consumers are. And he won't hire one more person unless demand forces him to. So more money in workers pockets is the only thing that creates that demand.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
26-05-2016, 08:41 AM
While I could agree that standard of living scaling would probably have to be addressed, I'm fine with the $15/an hour minimum wage.

Krugman on the topic

Article Wrote:First of all, the current level of the minimum wage is very low by any reasonable standard. For about four decades, increases in the minimum wage have consistently fallen behind inflation, so that in real terms the minimum wage is substantially lower than it was in the 1960s. Meanwhile, worker productivity has doubled. Isn’t it time for a raise?

Now, you might argue that even if the current minimum wage seems low, raising it would cost jobs. But there’s evidence on that question — lots and lots of evidence, because the minimum wage is one of the most studied issues in all of economics. U.S. experience, it turns out, offers many “natural experiments” here, in which one state raises its minimum wage while others do not. And while there are dissenters, as there always are, the great preponderance of the evidence from these natural experiments points to little if any negative effect of minimum wage increases on employment.

Why is this true? That’s a subject of continuing research, but one theme in all the explanations is that workers aren’t bushels of wheat or even Manhattan apartments; they’re human beings, and the human relationships involved in hiring and firing are inevitably more complex than markets for mere commodities. And one byproduct of this human complexity seems to be that modest increases in wages for the least-paid don’t necessarily reduce the number of jobs.

What this means, in turn, is that the main effect of a rise in minimum wages is a rise in the incomes of hard-working but low-paid Americans — which is, of course, what we’re trying to accomplish.

Purdue study showing that in increase to $15/hour for fast food restaurants raises the costs about 4.3%

One thing often left out of criticisms of increasing the wages is turnover. Fast food restaurants are notorious for high turnover, which is inefficient for the business. Getting people to want to stay at their jobs will help reduce some hidden costs.
26-05-2016, 08:44 AM
(26-05-2016 08:35 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  If you value those things then it is up to everyone to unite and stop the GOP and Trump from destroying worker stability. Only a moron thinks after 36 years of "don't tax the rich" will keep working. Even BILLIONAIRE NICK HANAUER says he is not the job creator, consumers are. And he won't hire one more person unless demand forces him to. So more money in workers pockets is the only thing that creates that demand.

I read a good op-ed from him last year. Looking at the title on the video, he probably said a lot of the same things in it. It's nice to see rich people who understand that they aren't the only reason they have their money, and that they can't treat people like cogs who should be grateful for being allowed to be part of the machine.