Poll: Do you think the federal hourly min. wage should increase?
Yes. It should go to $15 (or more)
Yes. But to something in the $9-$12 range, then it should rise with inflation.
No. It should stay as is.
No. We shouldn't even have a fed. Min. wage.
Other. Read my post to see my brilliance!
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Opinions on the proposed US $15 Min. Wage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2016, 06:23 PM
RE: Opinions on the proposed US $15 Min. Wage
(26-05-2016 06:15 PM)BnW Wrote:  ...
And, again - no, I don't have any good ideas on how to fix it.

The traditional solutions:

UK: Get the royals to have a wedding or a baby or something.

US: Invade somewhere.

Consider

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
26-05-2016, 06:35 PM
(25-05-2016 10:25 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(25-05-2016 10:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The issue with minimum wage jobs is that they're minimum wage jobs. They require absolutely no education and anyone can learn the job in a matter of minutes/hours.

And yet people that work them constantly feel like entitled fuckheads always demanding more.
Now, $7US minimum wage is fucking disgusting, but so is $15US, both for opposite reasons.

They need to be paid fairly, but they don't deserve to be paid like Kings just to satisfy their never ending desire that they somehow deserve more than everyone despite doing none of the fucking work. Doctors get paid more because they do 5 years medical school. Electricians get paid more because they do an apprenticeship. etc..
What did you do to deserve your McDonalds job?? show up to the fucking interview?

Minimum wage, if adjusted for inflation, would already be at $15 an hour if it hadn't stagnated after the 70's. People are doing more work now, but for a proportionally smaller piece of the pie than they got decades ago. The rest of the pie that they should have gotten, that they earned, instead went to the 1%. The system is rigged, and the rich keep getting richer and have been bleeding the lower and middle class for decades. You can even see this in politics, where low information voters hate 'the moochers', even when they themselves are some of the biggest dependents on the system (excluding multi-billion dollar companies that pay nothing in taxes of course). Get the low and middle class to hate each other, and nobody notices the theft...

[Image: bill-maher-on-changing-times-550x382.jpg]

I don't know when this Bill Maher quote was made, but a year ago O worked for Walmart and their oncoming newbies were paid $9.00 an hour and everyone else had been given a raise to above that.
26-05-2016, 10:00 PM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2016 10:20 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
I wouldn't be against tying the federal minimum wage to inflation. In fact if you don't tie it to inflation, I'd contend the federal minimum wage fails to operate as a baseline payment given changing economic conditions. The federal minimum wage should act as the lowest common denominator; if you're being paid less than it, there is literally nowhere in America where you can meet your basic needs. That's the only system of federal minimum wage that makes sense to me. State set minimum wages are more efficient in being attuned to the labor market demand within their own jurisdictions, and municipal/county level minimum wages are even more effective. $15 is way too damn high for a federal rate, though. Your menial labor may be worth $15 in a hi-tech boom city like Seattle, but it certainly isn't worth that much in rural Arkansas.

538 wrote a piece about this topic recently on how California's resolution to raise the state minimum wage to $15 will act as an economic experiment as to how a dramatically increased standardized minimum wage will affect localities of varying costs of living in a contained labor market (the more expensive coastal cities with high costs of living will likely easily calibrate while the poorer inland cities may have a more difficult time financing their workforce).

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
27-05-2016, 02:44 AM
(26-05-2016 05:57 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I would rather see Walmart and fast-food works unionize so that they could negotiate that a certain chunk of the profits get distributed to the employees in the form of either bonuses or increased wage rates. If you don't have the freedom to form a union, you really don't have much freedom at all, and unions (should) give employees the negotiating leverage they desire.

Wait, Wal-Mart employees aren't unionized!?
Jesus Christ! Wal Mart makes around $400million dollars a day.
Imagine if all their employees striked just 1 day...
Expand that out to 2-3 days and I guarantee you'll get your fucking pay rise.

Stop protesting the government on your days off, protest wal mart during work hours. Far far far more effective.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
27-05-2016, 05:21 AM
(27-05-2016 02:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(26-05-2016 05:57 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I would rather see Walmart and fast-food works unionize so that they could negotiate that a certain chunk of the profits get distributed to the employees in the form of either bonuses or increased wage rates. If you don't have the freedom to form a union, you really don't have much freedom at all, and unions (should) give employees the negotiating leverage they desire.

Wait, Wal-Mart employees aren't unionized!?

Stop protesting the government on your days off, protest wal mart during work hours. Far far far more effective.

Or up your skill set - become a more valuable employee, demonstrate that to the employer - and if they don't respond --- go to another company that WILL pay you more.......

You shouldn't make more because you can cost your employer money (by going on strike) -- you should make more, by being BETTER AT YOUR JOB......

It worked for me.

I was making almost 20 bucks an hour -- back in the 1990's -- without a college education. I also never worked in a union shop.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-05-2016, 06:59 AM
(27-05-2016 05:21 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(27-05-2016 02:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Wait, Wal-Mart employees aren't unionized!?

Or up your skill set - become a more valuable employee, demonstrate that to the employer - and if they don't respond --- go to another company that WILL pay you more.......

You shouldn't make more because you can cost your employer money (by going on strike) -- you should make more, by being BETTER AT YOUR JOB......

It worked for me.

I was making almost 20 bucks an hour -- back in the 1990's -- without a college education. I also never worked in a union shop.

Except that doesn't work at a place like Wal Mart.
There's a reason why you go to places where they're paid minimum wage and they all look depressed as fuck and don't give a fuck about customer service.
It's because they know no matter how hard they work they're gonna get paid the same amount as that employee over there texting in the corner.

This isn't the 1900's anymore. This isn't the "golden age" where you could work a minimum wage job and afford things like your first home or the rent.
Times have changed. If you work hard at a place like Wal Mart you don't get a raise you get exploited.

Hard work doesn't get you ahead anymore. Not for minimum wage employees.
And it's easy for you say "improve your skill set" but that's not always an option. Have you actually worked a minimum wage job lately? These people are not exactly the smartest apples in the bunch. Collage is not an option. Unpaid courses are not an option when you have 3 kids. Not to mention upskilling doesn't even guarantee you a better job.

I don't think you understand what little options you have when you're barely/not making ends meat.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
27-05-2016, 07:33 AM
(26-05-2016 05:58 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(26-05-2016 05:25 PM)BnW Wrote:  Oh, and for those arguing that this is going to lead to more automation - I call bullshit. That has been happening anyway. Whether or not it speeds it up a little doesn't change the fact that the elimination of those types of jobs is a process that has been well, well on its way long before a higher minimum wage was proposed.
This is true, Jobs that can be automated, will be automated. It's only a matter of time. But when you incentivise automation by raising the cost of non-skilled labor over 100%, you are pushing this "eventuality" to become a "somewhat sudden reality".
i.e. if the cost of automation/maintenance is at around the same cost or cheaper than the cost of labor, why wouldn't a business do it?

Personally I prefer to interact with robots/computers/kiosks, so I have nothing against the shift.

Ultimately it is going to happen anyways, yes. I just don't see how making it happen sooner helps those people who will lose their jobs for it.

The percentage of even a fast food company's expenditure that is spent on paying minimum wage earners is pretty small. Small increases to that minimum have a correspondingly small effect on what 'incentive' exists.

... this is my signature!
27-05-2016, 07:34 AM
(27-05-2016 06:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(27-05-2016 05:21 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Or up your skill set - become a more valuable employee, demonstrate that to the employer - and if they don't respond --- go to another company that WILL pay you more.......

It worked for me.

Except that doesn't work at a place like Wal Mart.
There's a reason why you go to places where they're paid minimum wage and they all look depressed as fuck and don't give a fuck about customer service.
It's because they know no matter how hard they work they're gonna get paid the same amount as that employee over there texting in the corner.

This isn't the 1900's anymore. This isn't the "golden age" where you could work a minimum wage job and afford things like your first home or the rent.
Times have changed. If you work hard at a place like Wal Mart you don't get a raise you get exploited.

And it's easy for you say "improve your skill set" but that's not always an option. Have you actually worked a minimum wage job lately? These people are not exactly the smartest apples in the bunch. Collage is not an option. Unpaid courses are not an option when you have 3 kids. Not to mention upskilling doesn't even guarantee you a better job.

I don't think you understand what little options you have when you're barely/not making ends meat.

But, but, earmuffs, don't you get it?

1) Things worked out okay for him;
2) Therefore, things can always work out for anyone!

After all, a sample size of one can't possibly be insufficient!

[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
27-05-2016, 07:44 AM
Minimum wage in Canada is set provincially and is currently above $10 nationwide; these if not explicitly mandated to track inflation have all been raised within the last year regardless (albeit by small increments).

My immediate gut feeling is that $15 USD is ridiculously high but at least the proposals I've seen floated have that as a 10 year target or some such.

If the point is to have a living wage, then would it not necessarily need to be at different levels where the actual cost of living varies?

[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
27-05-2016, 07:46 AM
(27-05-2016 07:34 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(27-05-2016 06:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Except that doesn't work at a place like Wal Mart.

But, but, earmuffs, don't you get it?

1) Things worked out okay for him;
2) Therefore, things can always work out for anyone!

After all, a sample size of one can't possibly be insufficient!

Eat me.

You think I'm some rich prick sitting on my ass, living off the sweat of "the po' man"..

I AM the "po' man".....

I've seen people get ahead -- by working their asses off...... I did it myself for quite a while -- and when I got run over by a truck and was never able to work again. I'd gotten myself to a place where I could SURVIVE. I've never bought a new car - and will never be able to. I have to spend my summers working, (in physical pain) cutting wood -- so I can have heat in the winter. I have to watch my spending very carefully --- but I survive.

I've seen much less gain (especially personally) "by protesting" -- except maybe a few lumps to the head - and a few seconds of TV News time................

Bitch, piss and moan...

Or get to work...

Guess which one gets you further??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.