Opinions on what causes autism.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2012, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2012 08:40 AM by futureMACH.)
RE: Opinions on what causes autism.
(13-08-2012 07:04 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If the dog food theory had any merit, then one would expect that families with pets would have an increased incidence of children with Autism Spectrum disorders. If it were that simple minded, someone would have noticed the correlation. In fact it is the opposite. http://consumer.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=667273

Or we'd be seeing neurological disorders in dogs.

(Granted, a dog brain is about the size of a lemon, an not nearly as complex.)

My Year Of the Bible - A blog on reading the Bible

Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground.
- Terry Pratchett
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-08-2012, 08:40 AM
I do not like research into the causes of autism, but thats because I like the way I am. If a cause is found then eventually steps will be taken to reduce the cause and, well, I don't think that's a good thing. Just my two cents.

As for causes, I'm useless.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
13-08-2012, 12:58 PM
(13-08-2012 08:40 AM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  I do not like research into the causes of autism, but thats because I like the way I am. If a cause is found then eventually steps will be taken to reduce the cause and, well, I don't think that's a good thing. Just my two cents.

Not necessarily true.
I noticed you say you are in love, so I thunked... We know the causes i.e. the brain chemistry of love and it's effectively akin to temporary insanity yet no one is taken steps to cure the poor sufferers.
And I'm sure you know there is a vast spectrum of ASD; the high-functioners (like me, my son and you) are ok with it, right? But have you seen the other end of the spectrum? Quality of life is pretty limited at that end.

13-08-2012, 01:56 PM
(13-08-2012 12:58 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-08-2012 08:40 AM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  I do not like research into the causes of autism, but thats because I like the way I am. If a cause is found then eventually steps will be taken to reduce the cause and, well, I don't think that's a good thing. Just my two cents.

Not necessarily true.
I noticed you say you are in love, so I thunked... We know the causes i.e. the brain chemistry of love and it's effectively akin to temporary insanity yet no one is taken steps to cure the poor sufferers.
And I'm sure you know there is a vast spectrum of ASD; the high-functioners (like me, my son and you) are ok with it, right? But have you seen the other end of the spectrum? Quality of life is pretty limited at that end.
Yeah I keep forgetting how much worse it gets as you go down the spectrum. I know a few cases through the organization I work with that are fairly low functioning. < I dont know where to go with this.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

13-08-2012, 01:58 PM
also the love high I'm on right now is so awesome ran like 8km today so awesome Smile I can do anything.

14-08-2012, 12:41 AM
(13-08-2012 01:58 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  also the love high I'm on right now is so awesome ran like 8km today so awesome Smile I can do anything.

Ergo, you are a god.

14-08-2012, 02:48 AM
(13-08-2012 06:54 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  ... or a byproduct of the next stage of human intellectual evolution?

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/111102/f...9025a.html
I saw another possible theory, that these traits and genes were characteristic for the Neanderthal man and got into our population by mixing genes. Looks like non-white populations have much lesser occurence of Asperger's syndrome and autism than European types.
http://www.rdos.net/eng/asperger.htm
And yes, it agrees that these are caused by multiple genes and that people marrying together carrying some genes (that give them propensity to science etc) might produce more of offspring on the spectrum.

Then there is debate whether the spectrum disorders really appear at a much faster rate or we have just better measuring instruments. The fact is, the classical most severe autistic disorder is very much on the rise, which is significant compared to other disorders like Down's that thankfully stay on constant rates.

However, we can't tell that yet about less severe disorders like AS or HFA. We only know for sure that the contemporary society is much more technologic and this accursed digital separation and dehumanization of the net is actually more natural to people with AF and HFA. This is why these people suddenly find their public image and seem to show up all around like proverbial mushrooms after rain.
That, that was science. Don't ask links of me, I'm not at the computer all the time and this is what I heard in various podcasts. Down below I mixed in something of my personal opinion.

As for the cause of low functioning autism at least (and also increasing Alzheimer rates), I have chosen my favorite theory. According to some scientists there are more effects of nuclear fission than we can easily measure. Besides major effects like earthquakes there seems to be a low-level radiation negatively affecting all things biologic and atmospheric. Esotericists call it radiation on the etheric levels, but you'd better read the scientific articles, specially scroll below to the Petkau Effect.
http://www.orgonelab.org/UnusualNuclearEffects.pdf
If this science is real, then this is another argument to close down all nuclear power plants as soon as possible, yesterday was late. Nevermind Chernobyl and Fukushima, this is worse.
You probably haven't heard of this, no wonder, this wasn't in English until relatively recently. Science hardly reaches over language barriers in decades, I know that well how even today anybody but experts (and enthusiasts) aren't up to date on Asperger's syndrome and in France (where they notoriously dislike learning English) some psychologists still believe that autism is caused by a lack of motherly love.
15-08-2012, 11:28 PM
(13-08-2012 08:33 AM)futureMACH Wrote:  
(13-08-2012 07:04 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If the dog food theory had any merit, then one would expect that families with pets would have an increased incidence of children with Autism Spectrum disorders. If it were that simple minded, someone would have noticed the correlation. In fact it is the opposite. http://consumer.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=667273

Or we'd be seeing neurological disorders in dogs.

(Granted, a dog brain is about the size of a lemon, an not nearly as complex.)

Actually, we see problems in dogs all the time. Everything from skin problems to severe psychological problems. http://www.vetinfo.com/dog-autism-symptoms.html

The website I posted mentions dogs with parents that have been exposed to certain toxins. I have seen dogs eat things that would kill humans and seemingly be fine afterward. Also many that have kids with autism claim their kids were fine up until a certain age. Usually that age where they start to move around on their own.
I am pretty sure the poisons we feed ourselves and a lot of times leave out in our homes in the form of animal foods certainly can't help the situation.