Opinions please

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Opinions please
So I just had a conversation with a friend about this.

I was just looking up a concert on youtube. Because I don't live in the country anymore and wanted to watch it. So I found it.

The band is officially okay with people recording their concerts and using the recordings (for example post on social media or upload on youtube etc)
So hundreds of people record bits and pieces on that concert.
Then someone looked up all the little clips and edited them together so you get the full concert (correct song order, moderations, all of it).
I was super happy about the fact that I could find the whole concert.

Then I made the mistake that I looked in the comment section. That is where some fans where bitching around because their clips where in there and they haven't been asked etc. So it was more important that "my clip ... nobody asked me..." than the fact that someone put work in there to make a lot of people very happy.

So I told my friend that I find that kind of bitching really annoying because what I said above. And she went on a big speech on how it is their material when they record it and whoever uses it should ask and it's not okay. And she makes photos and wouldn't like if someone used her photos either. Then she went into a whole thing about watermarks and circulating pictures on social media.
I mean she went completely mad about this and my argument that if you put something on the internet then it is your own fault if somebody else uses it, that argument didn't matter at all.
She said it is not okay and people should do better and not hide behind anonymity etc.

I think she is really pissed at me now because I literally don't care.

See I understand if a business or so has material out and someone else uses that to make money without crediting the business or whatever. But some nobody puts a concert clip or a photo on the internet... come on really... ?

Please opinions...

EDIT: Also, just to mention that. I do agree that it is not okay to just use stuff without crediting people. But you can't really avoid or control it. So for me it is wasted energy to get pissed about it.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2017, 03:45 PM
RE: Opinions please
(22-05-2017 03:36 PM)Leerob Wrote:  So I just had a conversation with a friend about this.

I was just looking up a concert on youtube. Because I don't live in the country anymore and wanted to watch it. So I found it.

The band is officially okay with people recording their concerts and using the recordings (for example post on social media or upload on youtube etc)
So hundreds of people record bits and pieces on that concert.
Then someone looked up all the little clips and edited them together so you get the full concert (correct song order, moderations, all of it).
I was super happy about the fact that I could find the whole concert.

Then I made the mistake that I looked in the comment section. That is where some fans where bitching around because their clips where in there and they haven't been asked etc. So it was more important that "my clip ... nobody asked me..." than the fact that someone put work in there to make a lot of people very happy.

So I told my friend that I find that kind of bitching really annoying because what I said above. And she went on a big speech on how it is their material when they record it and whoever uses it should ask and it's not okay. And she makes photos and wouldn't like if someone used her photos either. Then she went into a whole thing about watermarks and circulating pictures on social media.
I mean she went completely mad about this and my argument that if you put something on the internet then it is your own fault if somebody else uses it, that argument didn't matter at all.
She said it is not okay and people should do better and not hide behind anonymity etc.

I think she is really pissed at me now because I literally don't care.

See I understand if a business or so has material out and someone else uses that to make money without crediting the business or whatever. But some nobody puts a concert clip or a photo on the internet... come on really... ?

Please opinions...

EDIT: Also, just to mention that. I do agree that it is not okay to just use stuff without crediting people. But you can't really avoid or control it. So for me it is wasted energy to get pissed about it.

In my opinion, the band is the owner of the music. If they're OK with it, it doesn't matter what the rest of these people think. If the music were being put on youtube against the wishes of the band, that would be wrong, but a fan who puts a clip on youtube doesn't own that music. The band does. So these fans should just "shut up and rock" (to steal a phrase from a local radio station).
[+] 6 users Like Grasshopper's post
22-05-2017, 03:48 PM

(Took me couple viewings of this episode before it dawned on me he wasn't saying it was like taking a pea out of a swimming pool. Am dumb like this sometimes Weeping )

I kinda... all the movies and series I watch I download and frankly, feel no compunction about it whatsoever.

Music... my music tastes are rather obscure and a lot of the musicians I like are so unknown and small-scale, it would feel like stealing money from people if I got their music off pirate sites. Luckily, there is deezer (or spotify) so I don't have to worry about that.

Other than this, it's wrong to use other people's work for your own gain, but when I say work I mean real creative work, not a silly video clip they snapped with their smartphone (probably won't use that either, but it's not like it's art or mental property or something).

Sorry, that wasn't very coherent...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
23-05-2017, 02:07 AM
Well, I don't really understand why people are complaining about it, for something they shouldn't be allowed to do in the first place and be glad instead that the band allowed it ? Why did they put their own videos on youtube, for people to enjoy the same concert, or to get famous because of their one single recording of one song in shitty quality made with a cellphone ? If they did it for their their video to be watched, they should instead be grateful that a full concert using their video has been uploaded, because it's much more interesting than a single video and will get more play. Especially as most of the time, people who link the videos together use a copy of the audio recording directly taken from the console instead of all the audio tracks of all the videos, and it gives a much better result than the original videos. And people who complain about it, probably have not idea how much time it takes to link the videos together and to sync them with the audio track. The guy who did this, did a great job, and he is actually offering them an opportunity to have their video getting more plays.

Also, why complaining about people taking something you did when you didn't even create something or invest effort in doing it ? I mean, if you compose a track and someone takes it without your permission, that's stealing your creation. If you record a concert, but you were the one who took and expensive camera, a tripod, and spend the whole concert focusing on rendering a good video instead of enjoying the show, you didn't create something, but you put effort into doing it, so it's also not fair that someone appropriates your work, because he/she is taking credit for something you actually worked on. But what actually did those people who complain ? They just put their arms upwards with their cellphone and recorded a song : what kind of effort did they invest to consider it's a crime that they don't get credit for it ?

Sure, I think the guy who made the video could have asked their permission, or at least of credited them, it would have been nice, but that's no real big deal he didn't, because the point here is to allow other people who are also fan of this band to enjoy a full concert in a better quality.
[+] 1 user Likes Sturm's post
23-05-2017, 03:08 AM
Bit of a double edged sword really.

I would say it's probably the "nice" thing to do, to ask the people who physically filmed it if you can use it, but I suppose it also depends on how you publish it/what the content is. If it was like a review of the gig with their clips in it and a fully edited video of them talking in front of a camera, yeah that sucks. But if it's just blurry phone footage, then it's just them copying it from the band anyway, and if the band are ok with it, then why not. Again I'd personally ask first, but it's a preference thing.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
23-05-2017, 05:27 AM
If I make a clip and upload it to youtube and someone uses parts of it for a big advertising campaign without asking me, crediting me or paying me, I'm gonna be a bit annoyed. So to me it's clear that the maker of the clip owns it.

On the other hand the band were the ones who made the music. These are random guys on the internet uploading these clips and the only reason the clips have any value is because of the music that the band made being recorded in them. So it's a bit hypocritical of them to upload the clips which the band have generously allowed them to do, and then get pissy with other people for using their clips which wouldn't even exist if the band hadn't allowed them to upload in the first place.

I think they're technically right, but they're dickheads.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-05-2017, 12:16 PM
If the band filed a copyright violation claim Youtube would pull the video in a heartbeat. That should tell you something. Your friend does not know what she is talking about.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
23-05-2017, 03:56 PM
(22-05-2017 03:45 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  In my opinion, the band is the owner of the music. If they're OK with it, it doesn't matter what the rest of these people think. If the music were being put on youtube against the wishes of the band, that would be wrong, but a fan who puts a clip on youtube doesn't own that music. The band does. So these fans should just "shut up and rock" (to steal a phrase from a local radio station).

What Grasshopper says.

It's more than a little ironic that a pirate would be irate about someone pirating their pirated material. The band gets to call the shots.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."