Opioid "epidemics"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2017, 12:23 PM
RE: Opioid "epidemics"?
(22-06-2017 12:15 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(22-06-2017 12:00 PM)Vera Wrote:  Kindly fuck off and learn to read.

I took this as you not liking the state to try and protect its citizens from Big Bad Pharma. The German state has a law that regulates traffic of narcotics, trying to protect its citizens, so i concluded you wont like that. Where did i understand you wrong?
(22-06-2017 11:26 AM)Vera Wrote:  So, basically, the Big Nanny, a.k.a The State must protect its citizens from Big Bad Pharma.
Sorry, not a good enough reason.

No, no it wasn't. Opioids are regulated in Bulgaria as well. As well they should be. People must *not* be denied pain medication just because they *might* be pretending.

Also, Big Pharma is such a tinfoily word, hard to take comments using it seriously... well, seriously. Which is why I was exaggerating.

And I am STILL talking about the demonisation of the SUBSTANCE, not the - apparently serious - problems with prescribing it in the US.

I WAS NEVER TALKING ABOUT OPIOIDS NOT BEING A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE. But prescribing less because doctors might or might not be prescribing too much and because rich people are looking for new things to get hooked is not right.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
22-06-2017, 12:31 PM
Ok, got it. Of course we agree on that. The substance(s) are very, very useful, no question. Thumbsup

I also agree that prescribing less in general (especially to those who are in need) because of some rich wannabe junkies, is stupid. Thumbsup

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
22-06-2017, 12:45 PM
(22-06-2017 11:54 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-06-2017 11:50 AM)Dom Wrote:  Weed in the proper dosage fixes some issues, like nausea and urge to vomit.

For pain - the proper dosage of weed (not the down and out stoner dosage) will help by allowing you to ignore the pain if you get up and are active. I have gotten quite good at gauging this for my arthritis and it works - up to a certain pain level.

Do the CBDs work for pain without the intoxicating effects of THC?

(22-06-2017 11:50 AM)Dom Wrote:  All this pharma and we still don't have an acceptable fix for pain. There is none.

LSD. It won't take the pain away but you will find the pain fascinating and enthralling. Come to think of it, any dissociative will do - angel dust, special k, whatever. Hobo

No, the THC allows you to ignore the pain as long as you keep your mind busy. Being dead stoned can actually have the opposite effect, immobilized and nothing else to penetrate your mind... not good. I tried CBDs with zero effect.

Lol, I pass on the psychedelics and stuff.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-06-2017, 01:10 PM
In Canada we had the same drug problems that they have everywhere...

But THE NEW and REAL opioid crisis we are now facing in here is about drug dealers cutting "regular" drugs like cocaine etc... and even marijuana with a "new" synthetic drug call Fentanyl and the even more deadly Carfentanyl .

It started in B.C. coming from China mainly, and it killed 922 people in 2016 just in B.C. alone.

It is so powerful that a cop was reported to have overdosed on in just by skin contact after he brushed some power off his uniform after a traffic stop.

This shit is a whole new level of fucked up.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
22-06-2017, 01:16 PM
Unsapien, yeah, I read about it. Really scary. But wanna hear something even scarier?

"In 2012, a team of researchers at the British chemical and biological defense laboratories at Porton Down found carfentanil and remifentanil in clothing from two British survivors of the 2002 Moscow theater hostage crisis and urine from a third survivor. The team concluded that the Russian military used an aerosol mist of carfentanil and remifentanil to subdue Chechen hostage takers."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-06-2017, 01:27 PM
(22-06-2017 01:10 PM)unsapien Wrote:  In Canada we had the same drug problems that they have everywhere...

But THE NEW and REAL opioid crisis we are now facing in here is about drug dealers cutting "regular" drugs like cocaine etc... and even marijuana with a "new" synthetic drug call Fentanyl and the even more deadly Carfentanyl .

How do you "cut" marijuana with a drug? And why would you? Marijuana is cheap compared to fentanyl. My brother used to be on it for pancreatitis and it came in a patch he wore on his arm. He did almost die from it when he went out in the sun with the patch on and it changed the absorption rate but I've never heard of using it to "cut" marijuana. There are fentanly tablets as well but I don't see how you could use them to cut marijuana. I have heard of marijuana being used as a carrier for other drugs like PCP but you're not paying for the marijuana then, you're paying for the phencyclidine and the marijuana is just incidental.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-06-2017, 01:41 PM
(22-06-2017 01:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  How do you "cut" marijuana with a drug? And why would you? Marijuana is cheap compared to fentanyl. My brother used to be on it for pancreatitis and it came in a patch he wore on his arm. He did almost die from it when he went out in the sun with the patch on and it changed the absorption rate but I've never heard of using it to "cut" marijuana. There are fentanly tablets as well but I don't see how you could use them to cut marijuana. I have heard of marijuana being used as a carrier for other drugs like PCP but you're not paying for the marijuana then, you're paying for the phencyclidine and the marijuana is just incidental.

On further review I think you maybe right, the articles I just re-read were about law enforcement warning of the possibility of weed being laced with fentanyl, but none of the articles sighted any cases where any "laced weed" has ever actually been seized by police.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
22-06-2017, 03:19 PM
(22-06-2017 10:34 AM)Vera Wrote:  Only, opioids actually have a primary reason for existing which is NOT the entertainment (or however you want to call it) value.
Heroin was originally promoted for specific medicinal purposes, as well.
It became a recreational drug much later on.

Quote:The fact that people would abuse anything that comes their way shouldn't mean that people living in excruciating pain should be denied the only thing we have so far that can help them.
Are you referring to a particular law or proposed law which would ban synthetic opioids? Because I haven't seen any such thing proposed around here. There is much talk about strategies to reduce the over-prescription of opioids, but I've not heard anything about anyone being denied opioids if they have a legitimate need for them.

That said, I note that what is being called the "opioid epidemic" in the US generally lumps prescription and non-prescription opioids together, which I think is both bad science and bad policy.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
22-06-2017, 03:30 PM
(22-06-2017 11:12 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Thats why i mentioned teeth. In Germany no dentist, ever, would prescribe you opioids, never.ever. That was my whole point: toothaches arent the kinda pain you want to counter with such potent drugs.

In parts of the US, hydrocodone, in the form of Vicodin, has been a pretty standard script for dental pain, for a long time. I have noticed that some time in recent years the size of the caps they prescribe has decreased by about 30%.

The stuff works, for sure. But the dosages prescribed -- generic, I'm sure -- are ridiculously large. At least for me; maybe I'm particularly sensitive to the drug. I was told to take two 750m caps every 4 hours "as needed" -- I took one, and was prostrated for most of the day.

Pain did go away, though. Big Grin

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
22-06-2017, 03:41 PM
The strongest they come in is 10 mg hydrocodone