Opioid "epidemics"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2017, 08:09 PM
RE: Opioid "epidemics"?
(23-06-2017 07:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-06-2017 11:50 AM)Dom Wrote:  Weed in the proper dosage fixes some issues, like nausea and urge to vomit.

It also works for some other things, like spasms and convulsions. There is much research being done now to properly define the many effects of the different components in weed.

For pain - the proper dosage of weed (not the down and out stoner dosage) will help by allowing you to ignore the pain if you get up and are active. I have gotten quite good at gauging this for my arthritis and it works - up to a certain pain level.

All this pharma and we still don't have an acceptable fix for pain. There is none.

I find opiates, opioids, NSAIDS, and acetaminophen all acceptable. Drinking Beverage

NSAIDS and acetaminophen can give you a nasty stomach ulcer if you take them for too long. I know.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2017, 08:36 PM
(23-06-2017 06:00 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(23-06-2017 05:53 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Is pot an opioid?

Different plant. Think poppies. Rolleyes

[Image: papaver-somniferum_opium-poppy.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-06-2017, 08:42 PM
Since all kinds of crap of unknown risk and unproven benefit is unregulated and sold in the U.S. as "homeopathic remedy" or "dietary supplements", how about we just deregulate pharmaceuticals, too?

Narcotics are cheap to produce and the societal costs of crime associated with addiction could be all but eliminated by just selling them like alcohol is sold.

Alcohol is at least as dangerous as narcotics.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
23-06-2017, 08:48 PM
(23-06-2017 06:32 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I once worked in a university neurobiology lab where some of the researchers tried to get a permit to use LSD on experiments with sea slugs.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-06-2017, 09:11 PM
We do loves poppies, indeed, Chas. I love seeing them grow by the road when I travel. Especially by railroad tracks Heart

"words
are a waste of time...
poppies"

[Image: 7577656-railroad-with-poppy-flowers-Stock-Photo.jpg]

Favourite poppy (and anti-war) song:

"And while you were marching with your soul on your shoulders
you saw another man, way down in the valley
that was in the your same identical mood
but with a uniform of a different color

Shot him Piero, shoot him now
and after you shoot him, shot him again
until you see him fall bloodless
drop to the ground on his own blood

"If I shoot him in the face or in the heart
he'll only have enough time to die
but I'll have plenty of time to look
into the eyes of a dying man

[...]
You sleep buried in a wheat field
it's not the rose nor the tulip
that keeps your vigil in the shadows of the trenches
but there are thousands of red poppies"

LT → Italian, Genoese, Neapolitan → Fabrizio De André → English
Piero's War (La guerra di Piero)

Artist: Fabrizio De André
Song: La guerra di Piero
Translations: Albanian, Breton (Brezhoneg), Chinese, Corsican, Croatian #1, #2, Dutch, English #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, Esperanto, Finnish #1, #2, French, German, Greek #1, #2, #3, Hebrew, Italian (Southern Italian dialects), Japanese, Korean, Latin, Lombard, Piedmontese, Polish, Portuguese, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish
English translation
Piero's War

Versions: #1#2#3#4#5
that keeps vigil in the shadows of the trenches
but there are thousands of red poppies

"Along the banks of my creek
I want to see run silvery fish
not the corpses of the soldiers
carried along with the flow"

And so you said and it was winter
and, like the others, toward hell
you marched sadly like those that must
the wind spits snow in your face

Stop Piero, stop now;
let the wind blow over you
of the battle dead you carry the voice:
Those who gave their lives, got back a Medal

But you didn't hear it and time was short
in lockstep with the seasons
and you eventually crossed the border
on a bright spring day

And while you were marching with your soul on your shoulders
you saw another man, way down in the valley
that was in the your same identical mood
but with a uniform of a different color

Shot him Piero, shoot him now
and after you shoot him, shot him again
until you see him fall bloodless
drop to the ground on his own blood

"If I shoot him in the face or in the heart
he'll only have enough time to die
but I'll have plenty of time to look
into the eyes of a dying man"

And while you are giving him this courtesy
the other one turns, sees you and he is scared
and pointing his weapon
doesn't return you the favor

You fell to the earth without a sound
but you realized in the blink of an eye
that not enough time was left
to ask forgiveness for every sin

You fell to the earth without a sound
but you realized in an instant
that your life was ending that day
and that there would't be second chances

"My Ninetta, to die in May,
it takes way too much courage
Ninetta dear, going straight to hell
would have been easier deep in wintertime

And while the wheat field listened to you
in your hands you carried your rifle
in your mouth you carried a few words
words too cold to melt in the sun

that keeps your vigil in the shadows of the trenches
but there are thousands of red poppies

Girly, I'd seen this. Quite interesting. And also how the spidapocalypse will start [Image: spider_zpspwfnxs8s.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
25-06-2017, 02:38 PM
Quote:Most people with AA take more than one opioid to relieve their pain to a bearable degree. And..OTC stuff and maybe an implant, as well. It is cruel shit, is Adhesive Arachnoiditis.

Is that some sort of sticky spider? Consider
[/quote]

Yes...it is sort of, but it is in your spinal cord, a pristine area, where nothing should be. It is at the top of the list of intractable pain, along with metastatic bone cancer, renal colic and migraine. It causes all sorts of pain and numbness and weakness all over your body, plus interferes with organs and autonomic functions. It affects the central nervous system, which connects to everything.

Can be got from accidental injury to the spinal column, back surgery or the ever popular epidural, which is how my husband got it. The arrogant doctor did not use proper technique and pierced the arachnoid layer of his spinal cord. He woke up one morning after an epidural in his neck, curled in a fetal position, sobbing and unable to move. Been a trip ever since. The x-ray tech gave a diagnosis of AA, but the doctors "thought" perhaps it was not. He remembers this all better than I do...so if I am off somewhere and a professional knows better, cut me some slack, please. It is all in our records, which I am not dragging out at present time.

I said...let's sue. At that time, things weren't so bad, suing was a long, expensive process, and we did not. It should have been a clear cut case. No injury to the spinal cord, no surgery...just the little accidental prick that allowed contaminants into his cord. They fall to the bottom and the body creates scar tissue to protect itself and on and on. He has since been diagnosed twice with AA for the pain management clinics in two counties to justify his need for opioids. I am sure that there are others with AA, but they claim that they don't have any and he is unique in that there are not other injury problems to his back.

He has gotten great relief from a qualified (OMG, I can't believe I am going to write this!) chiropractor and sees him once a month now.

He will never be able to do without heavy meds, but does better when he has less heavy work to do or less farming work to do. He hasn't stopped and that is probably what has kept him out of a wheel chair.

Sorry...went sort of long, there.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
25-06-2017, 02:55 PM
(23-06-2017 08:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(23-06-2017 07:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  I find opiates, opioids, NSAIDS, and acetaminophen all acceptable. Drinking Beverage

NSAIDS and acetaminophen can give you a nasty stomach ulcer if you take them for too long. I know.

The key word is 'can'. I pretty much live on BC powder and have for over 25 years. In between I take Aleve occasionally and can take Advil with no problem. I don't ever bother with Tylenol as I would get more benefit out of a handful of M&Ms.

The thing with all medications is that they do not behave on everyone in exactly the same way.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
25-06-2017, 07:02 PM
(22-06-2017 09:36 AM)Vera Wrote:  People have abused EVERYTHING that could possibly be abused, why the sudden (or maybe not so sudden) hatred for opioids?
I think it's just another manifestation of the mindset of conservative authoritarians looking for a way to control things that aren't controllable so they can feel less afraid of how thin the veneer of civilization, technology, safety and stability is that we trust our personal safety and well-being to. Simply because drugs have both appropriate and inappropriate uses is no reason to ban them or over-regulate them.

It's been shown that conservative minds are wired differently. They tend to have these slippery-slope concerns that prompt them to want to interfere in other people's private decision-making and that of their doctors.

My current wife's late prior husband dropped some heavy saw on his foot one day and was given opioids for the pain and that turned into an addiction that eventually, indirectly, brought about his death in a car accident.

Does this mean the drug companies, the drug, or the doctor were evil? No, they prescribed an appropriate remedy to be used appropriately and it exposed an addictive tendency. From there on his access to his object of desire was through street dealers and the Internet and its fake online pharmacies -- and, on occasion, on manipulating legitimate doctors to give him morphine for concocted purposes. Trust me, no law would have prevented him getting what he craved, or some substitute, by any means necessary. He even manipulated a methadone clinic to help him bridge gaps in his supply rather than to wean him off.

As you point out, Vera, all of this is entirely irrelevant to people with legitimate needs for pain management medication, who use it properly and are accountable to trained supervision of said use.

In the past few years, "online pharmacies" have been somewhat shut down, for instance, and that is fine ... I also have no problem with legitimate doctors being the gatekeepers, or for raising their awareness of the dangers of triggering addiction problems and how to manage that risk like any other medical risk.

But I have real issues with second guessing doctors and their patients. My wife has terrible back pain for instance and injections of steroids into her spine help a great deal. But she's only allowed, I think, 4 or 5 shots per year, and they seldom help for more than 2 months, so she is forced to have several gaps during any given year in which she is considerably limited. She is pursuing other ways to address the problem and may work her way out of it, but it really should be up to her and her doctor whether she assumes the risks of getting 6 or 8 shots a year. It should be possible to sign a liability waiver if that is a concern of the doctor's malpractice insurance or something. People should be able to make their own quality-of-life decisions. In her shoes, I'd rather die 5 years sooner than be in constant pain. Everything's a trade-off.
[+] 4 users Like mordant's post
25-06-2017, 08:01 PM
I am so sorry about your wife, Mordant. This is horrible. My mum has lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. She wouldn't mind it if pot was legal in Bulgaria. Might not help, but would be nice if she could at least give it a try...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
26-06-2017, 09:11 PM
(23-06-2017 08:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-06-2017 06:32 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I once worked in a university neurobiology lab where some of the researchers tried to get a permit to use LSD on experiments with sea slugs.

I suppose I could have qualified that better: we intended to use it on the dissected cerebral ganglion of the slugs, because it has some unique properties as regards blocking certain neurotransmitters.

Think little tiny brains in a petri dish, hooked up to a polygraph. Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."