Opportunity Squandered

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2015, 01:24 PM
RE: Opportunity Squandered
(09-01-2015 01:15 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 12:34 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm citing thousands of points of data, thousands of sects that studying the Bible on their own, came to the same conclusion. Overwhelming data points is a simple matter as well.

And conveniently ignoring the thousands of points where they disagree which lead to there being those thousands of sects in the first place. It is overwhelming; the problem is that it's overwhelmingly obvious that the most probable explanation uis that they are just making the shit up as they go.

Q talks to Jeebus, dont'cha know?

But maybe Q actually is an atheist, why is he on this forum anyway? Maybe his rational self seeks to escape the religious insanity, he wants someone, anyone to tell him it's bullshit.

We're watching it play out right here, his rational self against his religious self doubt, you know, kinda like evil Kirk vs. good Kirk:

[Image: star-trek-mirror-mirror.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Repeating:

The thousands of sects teach the Bible is God's Word, salvation is by trusting Christ, not sacraments or good deeds, acting charitably, loving one's neighbor, etc. etc. dozens or hundreds of important plot points.

And Spock vaporizes Rock. I win.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2015, 02:17 PM
(09-01-2015 02:09 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Repeating:

The thousands of sects teach the Bible is God's Word, salvation is by trusting Christ, not sacraments or good deeds, acting charitably, loving one's neighbor, etc. etc. dozens or hundreds of important plot points.

Repeating

You're ignoring the sects that teach that the bible is human written or that salvation requires works and dozens or hundreds of important plot points.

Yes, I know, those aren't True Christians™. Obvious cherry-picking only what you agree with isn't providing any actual support for your position.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
09-01-2015, 03:18 PM
(09-01-2015 02:17 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 02:09 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Repeating:

Repeating

You're ignoring the sects that teach that the bible is human written or that salvation requires works and dozens or hundreds of important plot points.

Yes, I know, those aren't True Christians™. Obvious cherry-picking only what you agree with isn't providing any actual support for your position.

I'm not ignoring those points. But I will tell you emphatically that the mainline denominations (or should we call them demoninations!) all were conservative in theology from their roots. Give a church enough time and tradition and the zeal for the scriptures becomes a passion for political activism or what-have-you. Name for yourself one of these works-based groups, than go look up their foundation a century or more ago. To get a large group in the first place, the founders offered freedom and hope! It's very freeing to throw off the shackles of the Roman church or another faith that offers "salvation" through slaving away at religion and morals to become born again and freely forgiven!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
09-01-2015, 03:28 PM
(09-01-2015 03:18 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It's very freeing to throw off the shackles of the Roman church or another faith that offers "salvation" through slaving away at religion and morals to become born again and freely forgiven!

There you go! That inner Kirk of rationality is fighting to get out! It's even more freeing to throw off the shackles of religion. You were very close right there, Kirk is swinging, maybe he'll land an uppercut if he keeps swinging.

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
12-01-2015, 12:06 PM
(09-01-2015 03:28 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 03:18 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It's very freeing to throw off the shackles of the Roman church or another faith that offers "salvation" through slaving away at religion and morals to become born again and freely forgiven!

There you go! That inner Kirk of rationality is fighting to get out! It's even more freeing to throw off the shackles of religion. You were very close right there, Kirk is swinging, maybe he'll land an uppercut if he keeps swinging.

Ah, but my "shackles" now include:

Freedom from much (not all) sin and self-destructive behavior, a happy and healthy marriage and children (I mean in the holistic sense--atheists keep talking about children who suffer physically without thinking about children who have healthy souls), positive worldview, etc.

12-01-2015, 12:42 PM
(12-01-2015 12:06 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Ah, but my "shackles" now include:

Freedom from much (not all) sin and self-destructive behavior, a happy and healthy marriage and children (I mean in the holistic sense--atheists keep talking about children who suffer physically without thinking about children who have healthy souls), positive worldview, etc.

Since there is zero evidence for a soul and no checkup list to determine if one is healthy that bit is meaningless. Overall, you could have saved time by just saying that you believe the ignorance is bliss and you'd rather live in a happy delusion than face reality as it is.

12-01-2015, 03:52 PM
(12-01-2015 12:42 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 12:06 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Ah, but my "shackles" now include:

Since there is zero evidence for a soul and no checkup list to determine if one is healthy that bit is meaningless. Overall, you could have saved time by just saying that you believe the ignorance is bliss and you'd rather live in a happy delusion than face reality as it is.

It sounds like you are saying I have subjective and not objective peace, love and happiness in my life. Not so. Jesus--saves.

12-01-2015, 04:01 PM
(12-01-2015 03:52 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It sounds like you are saying I have subjective and not objective peace, love and happiness in my life. Not so.

"objective peace"? Is that just as fictional as "objective morals"?

Quote: Jesus--saves.

From what?

12-01-2015, 04:10 PM
(12-01-2015 04:01 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 03:52 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It sounds like you are saying I have subjective and not objective peace, love and happiness in my life. Not so.

"objective peace"? Is that just as fictional as "objective morals"?

Quote: Jesus--saves.

From what?

Sauron, Darth Vader, evil leprechauns, you know, the usual imaginary stuff.

[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post