Opportunity Squandered

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2015, 03:11 PM
RE: Opportunity Squandered
(15-01-2015 06:33 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 02:30 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Also, love my enemy is not a vacuous platitude for me or any other (dare I say "true"?) born again Christian. I feel as I must say "true" despite the NTS warnings that someone can say they are anything without really being an adherent.

Too late! Big Grin From my perspective there are as many "True Christians" as there are Christians. You seem to have picked all the nice, gentle, loving parts of the NT and woven them into a personal religion for yourself. Others also swear that they are true followers of Christ and incorporate more of the militant side of the character form the bible. You have no more evidence that your interpretation of any of it is correct than they do for their interpretations. Your position may be less of a problem than many others, but it is still an irrational position as far as I can see.

What I do agree about is that if somebody (a) believes that Jesus exists in some way other than as a fictional character and (b) believes that Jesus wants them to act in a certain way and © b) believes that Jesus can and will punish them if they don't then they could certainly try to act that way. What you aren't getting is that if somebody is convinced that "love your enemies" is the best way to live then they could also try to live that way without needing a belief in Jesus. The stronger the belief the closer they may come to succeeding.

There may very well be many more Christians than atheists trying to live up to that goal. I'm not convinced it is a reasonable one. It makes sense to me to forgive enemies, to respect enemies, to be civil with enemies, etc. It does not make sense to me to treat anybody who is an actual enemy with love as that cheapens the emotion to the point of making it worthless. If you truly mean that you would truly try to love an enemy the same way you would love friends or family then I feel sorry for you because you don't understand what love is.

Regardless, if you are going to claim that this can only be done with god's help then you first have to give me a reason to believe some god exists. I don't accept that being able to love your enemies even begins to accomplish that. It only demonstrates an abnormal emotional reaction.

Your first paragraph indicates I have taken loving, gentle parts of the Bible as my faith. Therefore you recognize, and I congratulate you on doing so, my loving nature. I mean that sincerely as some at TTA have said I am disreputable, wishing evil on them, etc.

You therefore see the love in me. That love being demonstrated on a forum full of my Christian friends... no, with mostly atheists. I love my acquaintances and my enemies.

Before we get into proofs of God, perhaps you'll answer the questions I put above:

1. How many of your enemies do you love?

2. Have you experienced the raptures and the power of love?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply