Opposed to God or the idea of God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2017, 05:11 PM
RE: Opposed to God or the idea of God?
(09-10-2017 01:37 PM)Eagle Wrote:  (after all, who else could have created the universe and the marvels of the world).
It's not clear that the universe was "created".

Quote:The laws of the universe (themodynamics) prove that nothing can be created out of nothing.
Why assume that there was "nothing"?

More to the point, the laws of thermodynamics tell us no such thing. The first law tells us that energy cannot be created or destroyed in an isolated system. Leaving aside the question of whether the universe constitutes an "isolated system", energy certainly can be changed in form, and thanks to Einstein we know that one such form is matter.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dr H's post
09-10-2017, 05:13 PM
(09-10-2017 05:07 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 05:03 PM)Eagle Wrote:  That's because people don't like that I am a Christian.

It's not because i've been rude or aggressive, or cheated, or stole, or any of those things to anyone.

I don't care that you're a Christian. I think there are some problems with the arguments I've read from you, but I don't begrudge people simply for being Christians.

There are quite a few theists here who have admitted the limitations of their belief systems and have quite a high reputation here. If you're actually interested in having honest discussion here, do note when logical fallacies are pointed out.

I'm not going to admit something that isn't the case. No one has shown me anything yet. The truth is the truth regardless of what the group thinks (in this case the group being of course the atheist forum).

However, I am sure there are theists here who have limitations in their beliefs, because they do, but, as the Lord said,

'Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship:' John 4:22a

Christianity is the only belief without any limitations, that's because there is only one God.

It's interesting that, Christianity is the most persecuted belief in the world today, and even since the time of Jesus, they persecuted Him without a cause.

If we were of this world, the world would accept us.

People aren't really that much different today than they were at any other time in history, people always had their own reasons for not believing (which typically is denial).
09-10-2017, 05:14 PM
(09-10-2017 01:49 PM)Eagle Wrote:  My own experience is that people who are atheists are against that which God stands for, but of course, there's always reasonable people who are exceptions to such observations.
And what is it that "God stands for", other than personified fantasy?

--
Dr H

[+] 4 users Like Dr H's post
09-10-2017, 05:16 PM
(09-10-2017 05:13 PM)Eagle Wrote:  It's interesting that, Christianity is the most persecuted belief in the world today, and even since the time of Jesus, they persecuted Him without a cause.

Facepalm

Please do elaborate on exactly how Christianity is being persecuted.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
09-10-2017, 05:17 PM
(09-10-2017 01:56 PM)Eagle Wrote:  An eagle has two sets of eyes
Do tell.

And yet, you don't believe in unicorns?

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
09-10-2017, 05:17 PM
(09-10-2017 04:58 PM)Eagle Wrote:  Jesus is in the OT.

When people sacrificed lambs in the OT, they were signifying the coming of the lamb of God, that is Jesus.

People were saved exactly the same way in the OT as they were in the NT, as they are now. By believing in the coming Saviour, by believing in the Saviour who is here, and by believing in the Savior who came.

As for sinners being killed, Moses preached 120 years of salvation, but none of them believed. Sodom and Gomorrah rejected God, that's why the angels came to investigate.

The truth is, even the nicest guy on the planet is a sinner. Everyone, no matter how nice they are, does or has done something, even thinking evil about someone. That's how much God loves us, because we can't save ourselves (one sin makes us as guilty of all sins), He sent His only begotten Son (God in the flesh) who without sin, sacrificed Himself to pay a debt we can't.

Yes, God could have turned round and said, 'all is forgiven!', but God is a perfect moral God, and to do so would have defied His perfect moral position, so this is why the Jesus (God in the flesh) was purposed, because God loves us, He wants to forgive us, but He is a moral God, and cannot go against His nature.

So yes, people will perish, if they reject Jesus (and really, when people reject Jesus, it's because they don't want to give up their lives or their enjoyment of sin).

You do realize that tired, old cliches like one that I bolded aren't good trolling? Or you're just too stupid to try more original approach?

(09-10-2017 05:16 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 05:13 PM)Eagle Wrote:  It's interesting that, Christianity is the most persecuted belief in the world today, and even since the time of Jesus, they persecuted Him without a cause.

Facepalm

Please do elaborate on exactly how Christianity is being persecuted.

Gays could marry (enter civil unions?) in Germany. If that ain't persecution then I don't know what could be it.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
09-10-2017, 05:20 PM
(09-10-2017 05:13 PM)Eagle Wrote:  I'm not going to admit something that isn't the case. No one has shown me anything yet. The truth is the truth regardless of what the group thinks (in this case the group being of course the atheist forum).

Well, you said a bunch of stuff earlier that was provably wrong, I addressed it, and you ignored it.
09-10-2017, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2017 09:57 AM by DLJ.)
(09-10-2017 02:43 PM)Eagle Wrote:  I don't think people can stop being a Christian, if they did stop, they never where a Christian to being with, as, that is, one can't be unborn.

Could I ask, when you say you 'used to be a Christian', where you part of a particular denomination?

For myself, I always wanted to believe, life's futile without it, so the reverse was true, when I did finally believe, it was joy.

As to 'stop believing in God', I think what you mean is doubt? Doubt is an interesting one, because, where there is doubt, there is a sparkle of belief there too, but I cannot stop believing in God, because all the evidence says yes. I wonder why you would ask that?

The logical fallacies are strong with this one...
09-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Accurate representation of FC today

[Image: NGjC2.gif]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 5 users Like JDog554's post
09-10-2017, 05:22 PM
(09-10-2017 05:14 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 01:49 PM)Eagle Wrote:  My own experience is that people who are atheists are against that which God stands for, but of course, there's always reasonable people who are exceptions to such observations.
And what is it that "God stands for", other than personified fantasy?

That's exactly what it stands for. Smile

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post