Opposed to God or the idea of God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2017, 05:50 PM
RE: Opposed to God or the idea of God?
(09-10-2017 05:13 PM)Eagle Wrote:  I'm not going to admit something that isn't the case.

It doesn't seem like you're going to admit anything that proves you wrong. Fairly typical apologist tactic.

(09-10-2017 05:13 PM)Eagle Wrote:  No one has shown me anything yet.

LIAR.
Many posters have cited links. You have ignored them all.

(09-10-2017 05:13 PM)Eagle Wrote:  The truth is the truth regardless of what the group thinks (in this case the group being of course the atheist forum).

Truth is that which corresponds to reality. Reality is defined by the natural world and can be studied, examined and verified through science.

Science can be verified by anyone with the appropriate skills and knowledge.

Religion depends on faith. Faith is dependent upon the supernatural and cannot be verified. (There's a trap here, I wonder if you'll fall for it...) Faith is beyond and outside the natural world. Faith means different things to different believers.

(09-10-2017 05:13 PM)Eagle Wrote:  However, I am sure there are theists here who have limitations in their beliefs, because they do, but, as the Lord said....

No lord said anything. The authors of the bible made their fictional characters say what they needed to say in order to sell their religion.

(09-10-2017 05:13 PM)Eagle Wrote:  Christianity is the only belief without any limitations, that's because there is only one God.

Apparently christianity is in fact limited. It has to deny almost every aspect of science in order to exist. That's pretty limiting.

(09-10-2017 05:13 PM)Eagle Wrote:  It's interesting that, Christianity is the most persecuted belief in the world today, and even since the time of Jesus, they persecuted Him without a cause.

No, jesus, if he existed, was punished for stirring up political trouble in a tumultuous era and area. He offended the powers in charge and was executed.

In muslim nations, where christians are a minority, the christians are persecuted.
In christian nations, like the US, the christians persecute the muslims.

(09-10-2017 05:13 PM)Eagle Wrote:  If we were of this world, the world would accept us.

Martyr complex. I'm interested to see how you get that third nail in...

(09-10-2017 05:13 PM)Eagle Wrote:  People aren't really that much different today than they were at any other time in history, people always had their own reasons for not believing (which typically is denial).

Like your denial of evolution?
Do you know what quote-mining is?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
09-10-2017, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 06:00 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(09-10-2017 05:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 05:29 PM)Eagle Wrote:  It's right to say that God is the most obvious explanation for the creation of the universe, because it is.

As was already pointed out to you, it requires a being of enormous complexity to exist prior to the universe. Where did this being come from? How was it created?

So, no, it isn't even remotely logical.

Quote:You can say it too Smile

No, saying that demonstrates the lack of rational thinking.

Existing means it does not "not exist". Reality is therefore LARGER, and always was larger than his god. His god MUST participate in a Reality which was always larger than his god. The origins of Reality, in which his god is but a part, remains unexplained. His god explains nothing important. He can't even define what the words "god exists" actually mean.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
09-10-2017, 05:51 PM
@jennybee, thank for your posts, I've enjoyed reading them. I'm off to bed. I'll try to remember to check into the forum. Jennybee, if you have questions, please PM me if you want, as I may lose your post amongst the clatter! Smile

@dr H,

There are many definitions of evolution now, but here's the bulwark, that is, Darwinism,

'the process by which different kinds of living organism are believed to have developed from earlier forms during the history of the earth.'

That is, changed into a different species.

Unless I'm mistaken, people are remaining strangely quiet on the fact that hard evidence (geology) disproves evolution

https://phys.org/news/2010-11-darwin-the...ical.html,

If it perhaps helps to get your attention, here is the title of the article, 'Darwin's theory of gradual evolution not supported by geological history, scientist concludes'

Have a nice evening! Smile
09-10-2017, 05:55 PM
(09-10-2017 05:41 PM)Eagle Wrote:  No, it's not true.

Prove it.

Quote:1. Jesus rejected Adams fig tree religion, sacrificing an innocent animal to clothe him.

Prove it

Quote:2. Cain offered many of his treasures to the Lord, which were rejected (this is self righteous works), however Abel sacrificed a lamb, which symbolised the coming Savior. Abel's offering pleased the Lord, where as Cains was rejected.

LOL Prove it.

Quote:Interestingly, Cain out of jealousy, later slew Abel. It's still the same today. People who boast of works (big charity events etc) get all the praise, but the humble Christian saved by faith, is looked down upon by many.

About as "interesting" as a dead skunk.
No one looks down on you.
We pity you. And BTW, the Bible says, you are saved by WORKS. James 2:24
Another contradiction.
You REALLY should take Bible 101.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-10-2017, 05:56 PM
I'm opposed to idiots using god and the idea of god to claim special privileges.
Does that answer your question?

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 2 users Like M. Linoge's post
09-10-2017, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 06:07 PM by Loom.)
I'm abit late to the party, but what makes you think "goddidit" is a more honest answer than "I don't know."

It's true that we don't know what came before (if 'before" even makes sense without time) the rapid expansion of the singularity that was the Big Bang, but that lends absolutely no credence to "therefore god."

Same with evolution (which is fact btw). IF, and that's a big if, we are somehow wrong about evolution, it doesn't make the answer to the diversification of life "goddidit."

Theists astound me with their ignorance and arrogance. We are but a single species among millions, living on a single planet among billions to the umpteenth power, amidst a universe that may well go on forever.

To claim this all was made for US, by the sky daddy of a specific human religion that loves us enough to grant eternal life and happiness (via holding the threat of eternal torture over our heads), is the pinnacle of arrogant thought, as a result of extreme ignorance of reality.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
09-10-2017, 06:02 PM
(09-10-2017 05:51 PM)Eagle Wrote:  @jennybee, thank for your posts, I've enjoyed reading them. I'm off to bed. I'll try to remember to check into the forum. Jennybee, if you have questions, please PM me if you want, as I may lose your post amongst the clatter! Smile

@dr H,

There are many definitions of evolution now, but here's the bulwark, that is, Darwinism,

Unless I'm mistaken, people are remaining strangely quiet on the fact that hard evidence (geology) disproves evolution

https://phys.org/news/2010-11-darwin-the...ical.html,

If it perhaps helps to get your attention, here is the title of the article, 'Darwin's theory of gradual evolution not supported by geological history, scientist concludes'

Have a nice evening! Smile

You are mistaken. Evolution is BIOLOGICAL process, not a geological one. It's a stupid irrelevant point.

Most of the evidence for Evolution (the MOUNTAINS of evidence) was assembled AFTER Darwin. So besides knowing nothing about the Bible, we see he knows nothing about Evolution or science. I take it back that he's 15. He's 12.

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-10-2017, 06:03 PM
(09-10-2017 02:52 PM)Eagle Wrote:  The Bible is almost 3/10ths prophecy, and the prophecy has never shown to be wrong yet.

"Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. "
-- Matthew 16:28, Jesus prophesizing about 2000 years ago.

So where are these 2000 year-old disciples?

Quote:Everything in the Bible agrees with itself.
To cite just one of the earliest examples of internal contradiction -- one of dozens:

God creates trees on the third day -- Genesis 1:12-13, and creates Man on the sixth day: Genesis 1:24-31

Oops.

God creates Man before trees -- Genesis 2:7-9

Quote:The fact that the Bible was written over some 1,500 years, by over 40 different authors, over at least 2 continents, and none of it disagrees with any of it, is proof, because it would be impossible for man to produce such a thing.
If it is impossible for man to produce such a thing, then your "over 40 different authors" were what? 40 different gods?

Quote:Also that the universe came from nothing. If you chose to believe in the big bang theory, then where did the singularity come from?
Why did it have to "come" from anywhere?

Quote:First cause or not, there is still the same problem.
If you choose to see it as a problem, there is still the same problem with God.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 5 users Like Dr H's post
09-10-2017, 06:05 PM
(09-10-2017 02:13 PM)Eagle Wrote:  I'm curious how you could assert that God does not exist.

We don't assert a god does not exist. Atheists lack belief in a god or gods. I also lack belief in Zeus, Odin and the Tooth Fairy. If and when you provide incontrovertable evidence of a god (or the Tooth Fairy) I might change my mind but thus far no theist anywhere in the recorded history of humans has provided one iota of evidence a god or gods exist.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
09-10-2017, 06:10 PM
(09-10-2017 03:01 PM)Eagle Wrote:  But, am I to take it to say that, despite the fact that God is the most logical explanation for the creation of the universe,

You have yet to make even the merest beginnings of establishing that point.
Assertion alone is insufficient.

Perhaps a good place to start would be with a non-circular, logically self-consistent definition for "God".

Good luck.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 3 users Like Dr H's post