Opposed to God or the idea of God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2017, 03:17 PM
RE: Opposed to God or the idea of God?
(09-10-2017 03:14 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 02:54 PM)Eagle Wrote:  Haha.

God doesn't hate anyone. God loves people, he even loves you Vera, and me.

Even the Egyptians, the Midianites, and in some cases, his own chosen people? I guess murder and mayhem mean I love you Wink Have you read the OT where God "expresses his love?"

Well, If he beats you, he loves you so if he kills you then he loves you beyond description I guess.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
09-10-2017, 03:18 PM
(09-10-2017 03:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  [Image: F98M5F2.jpg]

Not one new argument...how boring...MORE CHEESE!

[Image: 636169364484868546280716216_cheese.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
09-10-2017, 03:20 PM
(09-10-2017 03:16 PM)Eagle Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 03:06 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Which God? Why your god and not another religion's one? Why has such an explanation existed for the last 2000 years, while humans have existed for 200.000? What about the explanations before your god was invented?

My God, because my God is the only God that explains the purpose of mankind being here, the purpose of the universe, why mankind hurts one another, and that the Bible is 3/10ths prophecy which has never been wrong, and that my God is the ONLY God which offers a clear and 100% certain way of going to Heaven, without the need for men, women, anyone to interfere, without the need for money, for social status, for priestly approval, for how the Bible written over 1,500 years by over 40 authors does not have one single inconsistency, which is impossibly for humans, but because it was authored by the Holy Spirit. Among many other things.

Nothing else can claim that.

3/10 prophecy that has never been wrong?? Many prophecies were written in after the fact or were so incredibly vague that they could have been attributed to anything.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
09-10-2017, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 03:38 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-10-2017 02:20 PM)Vera Wrote:  You first. Define "god" in a specific, meaningful, falsifiable way and then we can talk.

I won't be holding my breath though.

ooh ooh ask me! Ask me! Big Grin

[Image: 1rO67iM.gif]

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-10-2017, 03:26 PM
(09-10-2017 03:07 PM)Eagle Wrote:  I can no longer chose to stop believing than I can chose to no longer exist.
So we're in agreement then, at least that it's not a choice. Drinking Beverage

(09-10-2017 03:07 PM)Eagle Wrote:  BTW - it's not a 'true Scotsman'. The very idea of being a Christian is this: The first birth is of the flesh (physical birth), the second birth is of the Spirit (born again). We are born again when we have a change of mind - from not believing in Jesus who died for forgiveness of our sins, was buried, and rose three days later, to believing in Jesus, who died for forgiveness of our sins, was buried, and rose again three days later. That's the Gospel. And known as the simplicity that's in Christ.

So when I say, you can't stop being a Christian, is because you can no more stop your first birth physical, than your second birth, when you become spiritually alive: it's already happened.
It's "no true Scotsman" and yes it is. You claimed that either I haven't really stopped believing (which I have - since I'm me, I would know this much better than you about me) or else I must not have really been a Christian in the first place (no true Scotsman).

(09-10-2017 03:07 PM)Eagle Wrote:  But: When you say you were 'all in as a Christian', you're not answering my question, because, one could be a Christian without living as a Christian, because we're not saved by works. However, it sounds like you are angry with God about something, when you say about praise, or worship. If you want to share it with me, you can, or over PM if that feels better.
I wasn't originally angry with the concept of the Christian god. Unlike many Christians, I was not a Sunday morning Christian. I was a Christian 24/7 in everything I thought and did. This is why I say "all in".

(09-10-2017 03:07 PM)Eagle Wrote:  Edit: I just seen you had mentioned Catholicism, maybe it was in an edit? That's the thing my friend, Catholics don't teach what the Bible teaches. The Bible teaches that we are saved by FAITH and FAITH alone,

'For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.' John 3:16

That might explain why you're angry at God. Friend, Catholicism is a man made invention. We aren't saved by works. You want the truth? A person could live a life drinking, gambling, and all sorts, and still go to Heaven, because it's our FAITH that saves us. You don't need priests, churches, or anything to be a Christian, you just need Jesus, and that's it, that's all you need.
No edit. That was there all along. And you obviously have no clue what Catholicism teaches. And, I see, you're preferred branch of the nearly 40,000 Christian ideologies is the right one... Drinking Beverage

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post
09-10-2017, 03:27 PM
(09-10-2017 03:16 PM)Eagle Wrote:  My God, because my God is the only God that explains the purpose of mankind being here, the purpose of the universe, why mankind hurts one another, and that the Bible is 3/10ths prophecy which has never been wrong, and that my God is the ONLY God which offers a clear and 100% certain way of going to Heaven, without the need for men, women, anyone to interfere, without the need for money, for social status, for priestly approval, for how the Bible written over 1,500 years by over 40 authors does not have one single inconsistency, which is impossibly for humans, but because it was authored by the Holy Spirit. Among many other things.

The only thing I wonder when I read crap like this is...are you actually this stupid or are you just pretending to be this stupid. Drinking Beverage

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 4 users Like unsapien's post
09-10-2017, 03:28 PM
(09-10-2017 03:16 PM)Eagle Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 03:06 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Which God? Why your god and not another religion's one? Why has such an explanation existed for the last 2000 years, while humans have existed for 200.000? What about the explanations before your god was invented?

My God, because my God is the only God that explains the purpose of mankind being here, the purpose of the universe, why mankind hurts one another, and that the Bible is 3/10ths prophecy which has never been wrong, and that my God is the ONLY God which offers a clear and 100% certain way of going to Heaven, without the need for men, women, anyone to interfere, without the need for money, for social status, for priestly approval, for how the Bible written over 1,500 years by over 40 authors does not have one single inconsistency, which is impossibly for humans, but because it was authored by the Holy Spirit. Among many other things.

What?! The bible is full of inconsistency and stories that meant to be allegory taken as literal truth...

How do you know that it was authored by the holy spirit? Because the book says so? Because you were taught this? Because you read it and thoroughly believed it? Because it spoke to you and gave you that squishy feeling inside, so you felt it must be the holy spirit?

It's a real pity is that there's no life everlasting and there's also no way for you to know that once your really dead. Because your dead and you cease to exist at that point but the great lie will continue with people awaiting to join you in heaven.

This is why I often feel bad for those people of your ilk. You might say there's no harm in your belief, yet you join a forum of atheists to basically tell us we're wrong in our disbelief.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-10-2017, 03:28 PM
Pardon me atheist friends, mildly disgruntled theist wading in here...

(09-10-2017 01:56 PM)Eagle Wrote:  *snip on Eagle repping Christians*
I was hoping you'd say Isaiah 40:31, "but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Given it's far more scriptural than what you just said.

(09-10-2017 02:37 PM)Eagle Wrote:  Just as the owl is a representative of Satan.

Citation needed? Now Lilith, which isn't part of Christian canon is associated with the screech owl...but no. Owls are also popular amongst the UFO community as associated with aliens.

(09-10-2017 02:52 PM)Eagle Wrote:  The Bible is almost 3/10ths prophecy, and the prophecy has never shown to be wrong yet.
Isaiah 17:1, "A prophecy against Damascus: "See, Damascus will no longer be a city but will become a heap of ruins." Damascus is still standing.

Quote:Everything in the Bible agrees with itself. The fact that the Bible was written over some 1,500 years, by over 40 different authors, over at least 2 continents, and none of it disagrees with any of it, is proof, because it would be impossible for man to produce such a thing.
Bible Inconsistencies-Bible Contradictions? Come on man, the Genealogies of our Lord aren't even the same between Gospels.

(09-10-2017 03:07 PM)Eagle Wrote:  Edit: I just seen you had mentioned Catholicism, maybe it was in an edit? That's the thing my friend, Catholics don't teach what the Bible teaches. The Bible teaches that we are saved by FAITH and FAITH alone,

'For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.' John 3:16

That might explain why you're angry at God. Friend, Catholicism is a man made invention. We aren't saved by works. You want the truth? A person could live a life drinking, gambling, and all sorts, and still go to Heaven, because it's our FAITH that saves us. You don't need priests, churches, or anything to be a Christian, you just need Jesus, and that's it, that's all you need.

And here you show you no nothing of how the Bible was compiled. Also, Martin Luther was a Catholic clergyman, and he changed the word of God that warns against being changed, when he inserted the word "alone", something Luther himself admits to in his writings about his German translation of the Bible.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Shai Hulud's post
09-10-2017, 03:29 PM
(09-10-2017 03:16 PM)Eagle Wrote:  My God, because my God is the only God that explains the purpose of mankind being here, the purpose of the universe, why mankind hurts one another, and that the Bible is 3/10ths prophecy which has never been wrong, and that my God is the ONLY God which offers a clear and 100% certain way of going to Heaven, without the need for men, women, anyone to interfere, without the need for money, for social status, for priestly approval, for how the Bible written over 1,500 years by over 40 authors does not have one single inconsistency, which is impossibly for humans, but because it was authored by the Holy Spirit. Among many other things.

You haven't learned much about other religions, have you... Consider

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
09-10-2017, 03:30 PM
(09-10-2017 03:14 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 02:54 PM)Eagle Wrote:  Haha.

God doesn't hate anyone. God loves people, he even loves you Vera, and me.

Even the Egyptians, the Midianites, and in some cases, his own chosen people? I guess murder and mayhem mean I love you Wink Have you read the OT where God "expresses his love?"
There are many points to be said about this.

One thing I will say is this: If you have children (?) when you discipline them, do you discipline them out of love?

There are MANY things I could say, but, at the same time, this is an internet forum and I am personally conscious of posting too much stuff, and getting sucked into a forum!

If you'd like to talk about it some more, we can.

Suffice it to say, there are people in the OT who rejected Jesus (Moses preached for 120 years!). Some people just love their lives too much to accept, people aren't really that different then than they are now.