Opposing Trump = Fighting the Hand of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Opposing Trump = Fighting the Hand of God
Here's a good introduction to "Christian Nationalism", wherein a right wing fundie says it's god that puts kings on the throne (= gets presidents elected I guess) but fails to mention why she was silent (and likely, virulently opposed) to Obama being "god's anointed" during his terms. Cherry pick much?

Oh, and lie much? She claims "America is 70% evangelical". The correct figure (from 2004) that I found is 26.3%, which has doubtless fallen since. Worldwide, 17% of cultural Christians (which in turn represents about 33% of the world population) are evangelical, or bit over 5% on a worldiwde basis.

This idiot is not, to be fair, representative of all fundamentalists, but I daresay, it represents a lot of them and bloviations like this go pretty much unchallenged from within the church.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2017, 11:50 AM
RE: Opposing Trump = Fighting the Hand of God
I got a hand I'll show her.....well specifically a finger. Maybe even 2.
24-08-2017, 12:07 PM
That's actually a really good argument. Quit your whining, all your patriot fools! Don't you know King George III was chosen by God?

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like TSG's post
24-08-2017, 12:17 PM
She's trying to use this as a reason not to oppose Trump, but since I oppose God too and that means I would still oppose Trump if he was hand-picked by God, I'll just say "whatever floats your boat fundies!"

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
24-08-2017, 12:19 PM
I have a friend who was told in church that Obama was the devil. I am afraid she believed it, too.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-08-2017, 12:21 PM
So God raised up Hitler.
Some stupidity is incompatible with life.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-08-2017, 12:27 PM
(24-08-2017 11:39 AM)mordant Wrote:  Here's a good introduction to "Christian Nationalism", wherein a right wing fundie says it's god that puts kings on the throne (= gets presidents elected I guess) but fails to mention why she was silent (and likely, virulently opposed) to Obama being "god's anointed" during his terms. Cherry pick much?

The usual christian bullshit of god given government. And I can do you one better than Obama. What about Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao? By the same logic, all appointed by god.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
24-08-2017, 12:40 PM
This is what will keep people voting for him. Well, some people who truly believe this rubbish.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-08-2017, 12:45 PM
(24-08-2017 11:39 AM)mordant Wrote:  Here's a good introduction to "Christian Nationalism", wherein a right wing fundie says it's god that puts kings on the throne (= gets presidents elected I guess) but fails to mention why she was silent (and likely, virulently opposed) to Obama being "god's anointed" during his terms. Cherry pick much?

Oh, and lie much? She claims "America is 70% evangelical". The correct figure (from 2004) that I found is 26.3%, which has doubtless fallen since. Worldwide, 17% of cultural Christians (which in turn represents about 33% of the world population) are evangelical, or bit over 5% on a worldiwde basis.

This idiot is not, to be fair, representative of all fundamentalists, but I daresay, it represents a lot of them and bloviations like this go pretty much unchallenged from within the church.

Before we go singling out one religion, I would highly recommend if you have not, watching the entire new COSMOS series in it's 13 episodes hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Humans in all of antiquity worldwide made bad guesses, but even in doing that it still created the benefit of social order. The powers respectively got upset if you questioned them. Humans do not like their social orders upset, so because most humans are handed the religion of their parents, they will seek to protect that which they are familiar with and that which protects the group, even if that social order is based on completely false ideas. Just like the Ancient Egyptians were successful for 3,000 years centered around the FALSE beliefs in Ra, Osiris and Horus.

And unfortunately humans can and do lie to protect their beliefs. Either from honest ignorance or willful ignorance. But this flaw in our species isn't a patent solely owned by Christians. Our species perceptions of reality are notoriously flawed.

It is why the ancient Chinese, ancient Aboriginals and Mexicans and Native Americans and Europeans all had their own versions of astrology painting pictures of their deities and heros in the stars. It is why they had their different superstitions about comets and eclipses.

Humans simply don't like the prospect of being finite, and that is where superstitions and deity beliefs are coming from, the desire to be infinite. It is still all a very false perception. Really no different than when your pet dog barks at it's reflection in the mirror thinking it is really another dog.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
24-08-2017, 12:46 PM
(24-08-2017 12:40 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This is what will keep people voting for him. Well, some people who truly believe this rubbish.
His support is oddly durable, and seems to hover around 35% approval plus or minus margin of error. Much of it has to be due to this kind of thinking (when it's my guy, it's god's will). And for it to be "my guy" if I'm a Christian, all he has to do is appoint the judges I want and suck up to a few of my leaders and have a Bible study in his cabinet. Other than that he can grope all the women he wants, brag about it all he wants, be as wishy-washy as he wants on neo-Nazis, "deconstruct the administrative state", etc.

Once he ticks off two or three of my checklist items as a fundamentalist Christian, I'll claim he's God's Anointed just by virtue of him having "won". And if he doesn't tick off my checklist items, then he's a usurper and tyrant, like Hitler, or Obama.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post