Oppositional Defiant Disorder

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Oppositional Defiant Disorder
I found this (from wikipedia)

Quote:Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is a diagnosis described by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) as an ongoing pattern of anger guided disobedience, hostilely defiant behavior toward authority figures which goes beyond the bounds of normal childhood behavior. People who have it may appear very stubborn and often angry.

Signs and Symptoms
Some signs and symptoms that must be perpetuated for longer than 6 months and must be considered beyond normal child behavior to fit the diagnosis are:

The child must exhibit 4 out of the 8 signs and symptoms listed below in order to meet the DSM-IV-TR diagnostic threshold for ODD

- Actively refuses to comply with majority's requests or consensus supported rules
- Performs deliberate actions to annoy others
- Angry and resentful of others
- Argues often
- Blames others for his or her own mistakes
- Has few or no friends or has lost friends
- Is causing constant trouble at school
- Spiteful or seeks revenge
- Touchy or easily annoyed
- Generally, these patterns of behavior will lead to problems at school and other social venues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppositiona...t_disorder

Now with these signs any atheist child (or even an adult) could be diagnosed with ODD because:

- Argues often (we like to argue, right?)
- Performs deliberate actions to annoy others (christians mainly Big Grin)
- Touchy or easily annoyed (this seems more a personality issue to me..)
- Actively refuses to comply with majority's requests or consensus supported rules (if you live where the majority of people are believers...)
- Has few or no friends or has lost friends (who hasn't lost friends?)

The treatment for this "disorder" are:
- Ritalin
- Strattera
- Risperdal
(source: http://addadhdadvances.com/ODD.html)

It seems to me that any child who is bored at school, asks to many questions, doesn't follow the pre-established order or goes against the majority must be given psychological care and drugs...

Or am I being too paranoid with this subject?

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
20-02-2012, 03:39 PM
RE: Oppositional Defiant Disorder
Quote:Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is a diagnosis described by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) as an ongoing pattern of anger guided disobedience, hostilely defiant behavior toward authority figures which goes beyond the bounds of normal childhood behavior. People who have it may appear very stubborn and often angry.

Signs and Symptoms
Some signs and symptoms that must be perpetuated for longer than 6 months and must be considered beyond normal child behavior to fit the diagnosis are:

The child must exhibit 4 out of the 8 signs and symptoms listed below in order to meet the DSM-IV-TR diagnostic threshold for ODD

- Actively refuses to comply with majority's requests or consensus supported rules
- Performs deliberate actions to annoy others
- Angry and resentful of others
- Argues often
- Blames others for his or her own mistakes
- Has few or no friends or has lost friends
- Is causing constant trouble at school
- Spiteful or seeks revenge
- Touchy or easily annoyed
- Generally, these patterns of behavior will lead to problems at school and other social venues.

That could describe just about every human that has ever lived, who hasn't at one time done all of the above?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
20-02-2012, 03:40 PM
(20-02-2012 01:55 PM)KVron Wrote:  Or am I being too paranoid with this subject?

After reading this article about it, I actually considered that a friend's son may be suffering from being an assho... I mean, suffering from ODD. It turns out he actually is (according to the doctor that checked him out).

I don't know if you're being paranoid. According to the article it affects "20 percent of children", so it looks like people are over-diagnosed with this (or maybe it is just a "personality quirk" labeled as something that allows drug prescriptions for it). But maybe it's just a common disorder. Who knows?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
20-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Ugh. WAY too many personality traits are "diagnosed" as "disorders" these days. I aknowledge that there are many who suffer from mental illness. But it goes way too far.

But hey, if we didn't keep diagnosing everyone who isn't "normal", how would big pharma steal all our money?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
21-02-2012, 01:00 PM
My son can sometimes be a pain in class, will argue and sometimes can be extremely stubborn.

The school asked for him to be evaluated and he was "on the edge" but didn't get officially diagnosed at age 6. He tested at >99% for his age level and has since referred to their "gifted" program. Part of his behavior could have stemmed from boredom but also the fact that he questions not only subjects in school but rules themselves: Why do I need to stand here, when I could stand over there. Why do I have to pay attention to addition now when I can do multiplication already.

My wife (a masters in psychology) was VERY worried about him getting diagnosed with this at she says it will follow him for a long long time.

I am no expert in the area (I have no formal psychology training) and of course I am protective of my son. I would want him to get help if he needs it but I worry about our society branding people with diagnoses instead of just a variety of personalities. It would influence his ability to be considered for a private school, etc and it is very hard to get it removed. Be very wary of this.
[+] 3 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
21-02-2012, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2012 03:39 PM by Peterkin.)
In my day, that was diagnosed as adolescence and treated with a suspension of privileges, no TV, or a swat upside the head, depending on subject's social class.

Nowadays, it's a standard forum participant persona.
AKA ignore list

On a serious note, we do tend to brand the individual for certain patterns of behaviour, and try to suppress the unpleasant symptomology, rather than look at the society which encourages those behaviours and wonder what niche is filled, what social function is served.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 3 users Like Peterkin's post
21-02-2012, 09:23 PM
(21-02-2012 01:00 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  My son can sometimes be a pain in class, will argue and sometimes can be extremely stubborn.

The school asked for him to be evaluated and he was "on the edge" but didn't get officially diagnosed at age 6. He tested at >99% for his age level and has since referred to their "gifted" program. Part of his behavior could have stemmed from boredom but also the fact that he questions not only subjects in school but rules themselves: Why do I need to stand here, when I could stand over there. Why do I have to pay attention to addition now when I can do multiplication already.

My wife (a masters in psychology) was VERY worried about him getting diagnosed with this at she says it will follow him for a long long time.

I am no expert in the area (I have no formal psychology training) and of course I am protective of my son. I would want him to get help if he needs it but I worry about our society branding people with diagnoses instead of just a variety of personalities. It would influence his ability to be considered for a private school, etc and it is very hard to get it removed. Be very wary of this.

Although I might sound like a conspiracy theorist I think all this is to forbid children from thinking. Someone who
asks questions or asks about rules, etc. could become a dangerous person in the future (dangerous to the government and
other institutions).

I can't imagine a world were no kid is allowed to argue, to ask questions, to be defiant.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
22-02-2012, 04:12 AM
Is that in US? Because if so, I am not even slightly surprised.
Sorry, not trolling, it is just a matter of fact that in USA people are being overdiagnosed so bad that no matter how "normal" you are, everything has a name and a label and you are sick no matter what. I guess that's part of the culture?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
22-02-2012, 05:20 AM
(22-02-2012 04:12 AM)Leela Wrote:  Is that in US? Because if so, I am not even slightly surprised.
Sorry, not trolling, it is just a matter of fact that in USA people are being overdiagnosed so bad that no matter how "normal" you are, everything has a name and a label and you are sick no matter what. I guess that's part of the culture?

You forgot the most important part. Each of those labels comes with a medication to correct the "imbalance".

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
22-02-2012, 11:31 AM
(22-02-2012 05:20 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(22-02-2012 04:12 AM)Leela Wrote:  Is that in US? Because if so, I am not even slightly surprised.

You forgot the most important part. Each of those labels comes with a medication to correct the "imbalance".

You're right. I read somewhere that in the next few years many patents will expirate and become generic...
so the logical step for the pharmaceutical industry is to invent new "diseases", "disorders", etc., just like H1N1 and ODD.

Quote:Here are the major-brand drugs that will lose patent protection:

The information includes the date it comes off patent, the drug's generic name, its 2009 retail sales, and a brief description of the drug's treatment use, provided by Medco.

May. Concerta (methylphenidate); $1.33 billion. Used for ADHD (attention deficit) in teens.

June. Levaquin (levofloxacin); $1.63 billion. An antibiotic used for treating bacterial infections.

October. Zyprexa (olanzapine); $1.97 billion. Used for treatment of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

November. Lipitor (atorvastatin) ; $6.05 billion. Used for treating cholesterol.

March. Lexapro (escitalopram); $2.56 billion. Used for treating depression.

March. Seroquel (quetiapine); $3.48 billion. This is an antipsychotic medication.

May. Plavix (clopidogrel); $4.56 billion. Used to prevent unwanted blood clots to avoid heart attacks and strokes.

July. Tricor (fenofibrate); $1.35 billion. Helps reduce cholesterol and triglycerides (fatty acids) in the blood.

August. Singulair (montelukast); $3.47 billion. Used for asthma and allergies.

August. Actos (pioglitazone); $2.78 billion. This is an oral diabetic medication.

September. Diovan (valsartan); $1.47 billion. See below.

September. Diovan HCT (valsartin/hydrochlorothiazide); $1.38 billion. These drugs are used for the treatment of hypertension.

Src.: http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/the-...neric-soon