Oppressive Secular Laws

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2015, 02:50 PM
RE: Oppressive Secular Laws
(23-08-2015 02:46 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 02:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The doctrine of the Church of Latter Day Saints is that men should marry and procreate with as many women as possible if they are told to do so by God.
No, it is not the Doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ. Even if you insist it is not going to become the Doctrine.

Would you like me to quote your encyclicals?

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2015, 02:52 PM
(23-08-2015 02:43 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 02:31 PM)Alla Wrote:  If someone calls me "a bigot" for my views on marriage I will be stopped.
To call me "a bigot" is a very effective way to stop me.
To call me "a bigot" is not just "being able to disagree"

So are you saying that you should be allowed to be a bigot without getting called out for it if it's part of your religion?

That is not what I am saying. I am saying that Liberals will oppress me by calling me a bigot. Liberals will not just say: I disagree with your belief"
At liberal university which is full of liberals I will be AFRAID to use my first amendment if I don't want to be called names and if I don't want all the hell to break loose.
THE USSR - it is coming to America, thanks to the atheists.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
23-08-2015, 02:52 PM
(23-08-2015 02:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 02:46 PM)Alla Wrote:  No, it is not the Doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ. Even if you insist it is not going to become the Doctrine.

Would you like me to quote your encyclicals?

please.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
23-08-2015, 03:01 PM
(23-08-2015 02:43 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 02:39 PM)julep Wrote:  No, someone calling you a bigot or any other name does not stop you from doing anything.
If I am at liberal university and every student is liberal, and every professor is liberal I will NEVER tell my true opinion about marriage.
I will stop myself. I will be afraid.
But if I am brave then all the hell will break loose.

If you don't know how to express an unpopular or unusual opinion in a situation where it's appropriate, such as gay marriage being a classroom discussion topic, or in a private conversation with other students, no one is forcing you to. But it's hardly uncommon for people at a university to disagree and argue with each other. Most people figure out how to do this without "all the hell" breaking loose, so in that circumstance, I'd practice my communication skills and develop better arguments to support my position than "my church says so." ("My church says so" was used as a reason to treat black people as inferior by many religious people not too long ago; it is not a great debate technique.)

You can avoid confrontation altogether, you can pick your battles and take stands where it's important, you can even start a group for like-minded people and promote your message to try to win others to your side.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
23-08-2015, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2015 03:09 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-08-2015 02:52 PM)Alla Wrote:  At liberal university which is full of liberals I will be AFRAID to use my first amendment if I don't want to be called names and if I don't want all the hell to break loose.

I questioned everything when I was at the Peoples Republic of Maryland University. Never took a note. Never raised my hand. If I had a question I would blurt it out. I got my money's worth out of uni. Never was afraid of saying anything. You overestimate your self-importance Alla. Nobody gives a fuck what you think.

#sigh
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-08-2015, 03:07 PM
(23-08-2015 02:27 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 02:13 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  You're quite welcome to your opinions and world view.
Actually it is not my opinion. This is Doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ.
If I share this Doctrine openly all the hell will break loose.
I will be called a bigot and a person who wants to discriminate gay people.
If I want to talk about it(my believes on marriage) at liberal University they will ban me.
We don't have oppressive secular laws yet. We will have them. Very soon.
Prophecies never fail.

The Mormon Church is under no obligation to perform same-sex weddings.
The Mormon Church is free to state whatever definition of marriage they like.

They cannot enforce their rules on others.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
23-08-2015, 03:09 PM
I managed to make it all the way through university (granted, at a military Academy and a deep-southern university) with almost 100% conservative professors. The one liberal I knew, I didn't like much (an English 102 professor). Indeed, at my universities, I came to different conclusions than most of the other students and professors around me, and was forced to do as Julep says, above, and work on improving my ability to argue for unpopular positions when surrounded by those who disagree with me.

If you ideas cannot stand up when questioned by reasonable people, then it's probable that your position is not reasonable.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
23-08-2015, 03:10 PM
(23-08-2015 03:09 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  If you ideas cannot stand up when questioned by reasonable people, then it's reasonable that your position is not reasonable.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-08-2015, 03:11 PM
(23-08-2015 02:52 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 02:43 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  So are you saying that you should be allowed to be a bigot without getting called out for it if it's part of your religion?

That is not what I am saying. I am saying that Liberals will oppress me by calling me a bigot.

Calling someone a bigot is not oppression and it is silly for you to think so.

Quote:Liberals will not just say: I disagree with your belief"
At liberal university which is full of liberals I will be AFRAID to use my first amendment if I don't want to be called names and if I don't want all the hell to break loose.

What "hell" is going to break loose? Consider

Quote:THE USSR - it is coming to America, thanks to the atheists.

No, it's not. You are a silly, ignorant child.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
23-08-2015, 03:15 PM
Oh, and by the way, this may be why you are being called a bigot:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bigot?s=t

Word Origin and History for bigot
n.
1590s, "sanctimonious person, religious hypocrite," from French bigot (12c.), of unknown origin.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post