Optomistic Agnostic looking for lively debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2017, 09:00 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 09:05 PM by Stephen Pedersen.)
RE: Optomistic Agnostic looking for lively debate
(12-04-2017 08:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  Welcome.

I notice you don't mention any modern, working philosophers.
We have advanced well beyond the ancients.

More contemporary, other than Thomas Reid and William James, are Wittgenstein, Turing, Van Fraassen, and Daniel Robinson. I've read a lot of Daniel Dennett and Sam Harris just to get the cogs turning, but I am by no means a disciple. The history of ideas moves slowly and the ones I posted in introduction are my main influences. AI borrow from a lot. I view ideas as bricks, and we get to choose the bricks we build our houses from, so I borrow from many because there are more than one simple perspective to view it by.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stephen Pedersen's post
12-04-2017, 10:41 PM
Hey, welcome Smile

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2017, 11:56 PM
Welcome. I also majored in philosophy as an undergraduate. I've always been interested in philosophy of mind and consciousness. I was fortunate in being able to take a very interesting graduate class from John Searle as a senior. But I found my biggest influence in the field of psychology, James Hillman. Just a great writer (especially Re-Visioning Psychology) and I find he makes depth psychology much more accessible than Jung.

To my mind, it isn't whether or not religion is true that matters but whether or not we've understood what it has contributed to what and how we are. William James was interesting for the distinction he made between passive religious experience and direct religious experience.

Oh well I should just offer you some cookies and tea rather than talk your ear off. Hope you like it here.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
13-04-2017, 02:33 AM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forum. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
13-04-2017, 05:44 AM
(12-04-2017 07:54 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  I majored in philosophy and psychology in college so, not to brag, but I'm totally useless. Smartass

You should fit right in with the rest of us.

Hobo
13-04-2017, 07:05 AM
Hello! Big Grin
13-04-2017, 02:54 PM
Welcome to TTA.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
13-04-2017, 03:43 PM
Optomistic Agnostic looking for lively debate
(12-04-2017 07:54 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  Hello everyone,

A hot friend of mine referred me to this site, Phoenix31. Hopefully there are more hot women who like glazed donuts on here. Hobo

PM me a pic of her enjoying said glazed donut.
13-04-2017, 04:24 PM
Welcome to the forum.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
13-04-2017, 06:34 PM
(12-04-2017 11:56 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Welcome. I also majored in philosophy as an undergraduate. I've always been interested in philosophy of mind and consciousness. I was fortunate in being able to take a very interesting graduate class from John Searle as a senior. But I found my biggest influence in the field of psychology, James Hillman. Just a great writer (especially Re-Visioning Psychology) and I find he makes depth psychology much more accessible than Jung.

To my mind, it isn't whether or not religion is true that matters but whether or not we've understood what it has contributed to what and how we are. William James was interesting for the distinction he made between passive religious experience and direct religious experience.

Oh well I should just offer you some cookies and tea rather than talk your ear off. Hope you like it here.
Searle's famous Chinese room nails the problem with AI and consciousness. I think three big blows to AI are the Chinese room, frank Jackson's Mary problem (qualia), and Wittgenstein's Beetle in the Box metaphor on social language. I had a lecture series by Searle but i trailed off.

Now you mentioned "depth psychology". I love depth psychology. I find Jung's attempt at the shadow so appealing as a narrative we all have. We all have a backside, just like we all have a frontside, so too we all have a shadow. Now, I find the greatest depth psychologists inside the Greek tragedies. We find it in little Antigone standing up to a king in order to give her beloved brother a burial. We see it in Medea being driven to kill her children. There something brooding and chthonic in her actions. Its Nietzsche who we must call the first modern depth psychologist. He's good friction for thought. I can't wait to read more from you!