Optomistic Agnostic looking for lively debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2017, 07:54 PM
RE: Optomistic Agnostic looking for lively debate
(15-04-2017 05:12 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  When I say I'm an optimistic agnostic it means I have no justified true belief. I lean towards theism only on pragmatic grounds. To stress that, I mean that I have no good reason other than the consequences of not forfeiting a spiritual life that I find the majority of people yearn for.

There is nothing about being an atheist that precludes a life filled with awe or wonder or love or dedication to a principle or anything else that people who use "spiritual" tend to mean. The only consequences I know of are not wasting time talking to an imaginary friend or giving your money to con men.

If anything, people who leave religion find that their lives are more valuable when they accept responsibility for themselves. There are plenty of testimonials to that effect right on this site. The only advantage, if you can call it that, of sticking with religion is that you don't have to think for yourself.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
15-04-2017, 09:12 PM
(15-04-2017 07:54 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 05:12 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  When I say I'm an optimistic agnostic it means I have no justified true belief. I lean towards theism only on pragmatic grounds. To stress that, I mean that I have no good reason other than the consequences of not forfeiting a spiritual life that I find the majority of people yearn for.

There is nothing about being an atheist that precludes a life filled with awe or wonder or love or dedication to a principle or anything else that people who use "spiritual" tend to mean. The only consequences I know of are not wasting time talking to an imaginary friend or giving your money to con men.

If anything, people who leave religion find that their lives are more valuable when they accept responsibility for themselves. There are plenty of testimonials to that effect right on this site. The only advantage, if you can call it that, of sticking with religion is that you don't have to think for yourself.

And the REALLY interesting thing is, you find out you actually "forfeit" nothing, not beauty, not awe, not wonder, not what some might call *spirituality* when certain irrational concepts are dismissed, and seen for what they are.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-04-2017, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2017 10:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
Optomistic - from the prefix "opto" (optic or vision) and the suffix "mistic" (to be of or express the idea (or notion that) you are of the root word by ether emotional expression or by a externally perceivable action on yourself, to others or to your environment), perceptualism, perceptual reality, materialism (okay, I just made that up) Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
16-04-2017, 02:26 PM
(15-04-2017 05:12 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  When I say I'm an optimistic agnostic it means I have no justified true belief. I lean towards theism only on pragmatic grounds...

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me. You seem to be contradicting yourself in a mere two sentences.

Pragmatic theism is an oxymoron. A pragmatist deals realistically in ways that are based on practical, rather than theoretical deliberations. Theists have a belief in the existence of God or gods, or supernatural entities—which is hardly a pragmatic viewpoint LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
16-04-2017, 02:28 PM
(16-04-2017 02:26 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Pragmatic theism is an oxymoron.

It might be pragmatic for someone surrounded by theists. Go along to get along....
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post