Oral Traditions of the New Testament

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2012, 02:50 PM
RE: Oral Traditions of the New Testament
(02-11-2012 01:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 01:05 PM)Denicio Wrote:  Here is a listing of the Price debate.
Price is price and i love listening to this guy speak. WLC drops names like they are going out of style, but as debates go..he followed good form....not really brokering in truth but good debate form. Price did not go back and really deliver death blows to WLC's points.
I notice WLC love to argue WITH points and sub points. Almost overwhelming his opponent with crap to over come so they cant make their own argument.
The very last link titled "Price's rant" is priceless (no pun intended). "I'm going to hell in somebody's dogma"..those are words to live by! But all of Price's Q&A responses are better than the overall debate.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL989B386530E32DF7
D
Yup. Craig is a formidable debater. I have proposed a "team preparation approach" for someone to challenge him. Whoever it would be would have to know Scripture, Theology, Logic, Philosophy, Quantum Mechanics, Geology, Chemistry, Genetics, Physics, and Biology. That person would be hard to find. I would bet that in months to come, and things as they are, someone with an iPod, or "tablet" hooked up to a "team", could remind a prepared debater, who has "reviewed the game tapes Tongue ), of what points he should bring up, and reply to. He's easily refuted, but it does take time, and an organized approach. Then at the end of a debate I also want someone to go after him publicly, and chastise for his "bad faith", and attempts at deception.

I've actually downloaded some radio interviews of WLC (off christian radio) in the aftermath of some of these debates where he boldly tells of how he won and how WRONG the other side is. He does it in this charming yet condescending way...in a way i want to punch him. He's so overly confident and smug...yet so clueless. And each of his closing statements each have this 'alter call' of sorts that just stinks of Big Tent Revival Snake oil Salesmen. He talks about "I dont see how my opponent did not see XYZ or why they did not respond to XYZ". I recall him railing on Hitchens once on a christian radio response to a debate. Naturally the sheep will hear this and feel that the atheists have been slain in the battlegrounds of debate. Fodder for the Brain dead.
His approach is quite simple...overwhelm with supposed facts and watch your opponent scramble to address just one of them in a coherent manner. He knows the debate clock is his friend. So when he rattles of the 5 points with each having 4 sub points there is no way to address it all in a rebuttal. Then he says "My opponent did not address the points i brought up therefore they myst agree with me, so i am glad we agree". Its underhanded and sneaky and he's done quite well with this approach.
I think to folks like Price who are not Pro Debaters some of the claims are so outrageous that they dont even warrant a response...but thats HOW you lose a debate, sadly.
D
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post
02-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Denicio, you've reminded me that I still don't get why we have debates on this subject. It still seems like a bad idea to me. It isn't that I think the subject shouldn't be discussed or debated in a general sense. It's the whole public debate arena and its inevitable rules of a time limit. What does it prove? All it ever seems to prove is the skill of one debater over another. It never seems to prove anything about the actual subject matter.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
02-11-2012, 04:00 PM
(02-11-2012 03:54 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Denicio, you've reminded me that I still don't get why we have debates on this subject. It still seems like a bad idea to me. It isn't that I think the subject shouldn't be discussed or debated in a general sense. It's the whole public debate arena and its inevitable rules of a time limit. What does it prove? All it ever seems to prove is the skill of one debater over another. It never seems to prove anything about the actual subject matter.
Exactly. I've always thought debates accomplish nothing.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

02-11-2012, 04:03 PM
(02-11-2012 04:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 03:54 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Denicio, you've reminded me that I still don't get why we have debates on this subject. It still seems like a bad idea to me. It isn't that I think the subject shouldn't be discussed or debated in a general sense. It's the whole public debate arena and its inevitable rules of a time limit. What does it prove? All it ever seems to prove is the skill of one debater over another. It never seems to prove anything about the actual subject matter.
Exactly. I've always thought debates accomplish nothing.
OK, thanks. Good to know I'm not alone in thinking so.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum