Orange sun

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Orange sun
For the third day in a row, the sun here is turning bright orange like an hour and a half before sunset and stays that way til it is down. It gives everything outside an iridescent shine, some of my flowers looks so vibrant they seem to jump out at you. Other things look spooky.

All three days were days of extreme heat, and that bright orange sun intensifies the feeling of heat.

I have never seen anything like it before.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-07-2013, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2013 06:06 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Orange sun
(28-07-2013 05:56 PM)Dom Wrote:  For the third day in a row, the sun here is turning bright orange like an hour and a half before sunset and stays that way til it is down. It gives everything outside an iridescent shine, some of my flowers looks so vibrant they seem to jump out at you. Other things look spooky.

All three days were days of extreme heat, and that bright orange sun intensifies the feeling of heat.

Jebus is coming. I knew it. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
28-07-2013, 06:17 PM
(28-07-2013 06:01 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 05:56 PM)Dom Wrote:  For the third day in a row, the sun here is turning bright orange like an hour and a half before sunset and stays that way til it is down. It gives everything outside an iridescent shine, some of my flowers looks so vibrant they seem to jump out at you. Other things look spooky.

Jebus is coming. I knew it. Tongue

Lololol. No, I am just too lazy to research what causes it right now... and am watching it out my window as I sit here. Soon I will go outside and look at it some more.. gotta love what it does to my garden.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Pics or it ain't so. You know the drill.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-07-2013, 06:28 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mie_scattering

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
28-07-2013, 06:59 PM
So... who's dropping the 'cid? Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-07-2013, 07:05 PM

Must be a lot of dust in the air where you live.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
28-07-2013, 07:10 PM

Maybe you've caught vampirism. I recommend draining your enemies of all their blood as a test. Tongue

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
28-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Ok, I found an easier to read explanation: http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/questio...number=280

Quote:Why are the Moon and Sun sometimes orange or red?

A question asked by my son was, " Why is the moon sometimes orange? Or red? What causes this? "

The orange and red tints that the Sun and Moon sometimes take on are caused by the particles in the Earth's atmosphere.

When light (or more specifically, packets of light called photons) from an astronomical object passes through the Earth's atmosphere, it scatters off of particles in the latter. It turns out that these particles like to scatter blue light more than they do red light; so "bluer" photons (those with shorter wavelengths) tend to get scattered, and "redder" photons (those with longer wavelengths) pass through. So, astronomical objects look redder from Earth than they would from space, because the redder wavelengths from the objects penetrate the atmosphere better than the bluer ones. Incidentally, this is why the sky is blue: blue light from the Sun is scattered in all directions on its way to the Earth.

But how does this explain the occasional redness of the Moon or the Sun? Your son may have noticed that they always occur when the Sun or Moon is close to the horizon. If you think about it, sunlight or moonlight must travel through the maximum amount of atmosphere to get to your eyes when the Sun or Moon is on the horizon (remember that that atmosphere is a sphere around the Earth). So, you expect *more* blue light to be scattered from Sunlight or Moonlight when the Sun or Moon is on the horizon than when it is, say, overhead; this makes the object look redder. In other words, the Sun or Moon tends to look orange or red when it is rising or setting because that's the time when the light has to travel through the most atmosphere to get to you. The effect is exacerbated when there are thin clouds in front or behind the Sun or Moon: the clouds themselves often glow bright pink as well, because they are so good at scattering blue light.

And yes, there are thin clouds too... and the sunset is going to be spectacular.

I take awful pics, my camera doesn't do true colors...works for flowers and people but not general lighting or sunsets...

29-07-2013, 07:56 AM
Well, today's local morning news provided an additional answer - FIRE!

There are a bunch of wildfires nearby, and the smoke in the air contributes to the orange sun. That's what the guys on the news said. Not that they are generally right, they have provided me with much amusement in the past.

But while the sun isn't that bright orange fire ball in the sky this morning, the spooky light is here...