Oregon Couple refuses to pay damages to gays couple or comply with Gag Order

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2015, 01:03 AM
RE: Oregon Couple refuses to pay damages to gays couple or comply with Gag Order
(07-10-2015 12:58 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Essentially this very thing happens all the time. A couple plans to get married. They announce it everyone. They even put a notice in the paper so that people they don't even know....we know they are getting married. However, when the invitations are sent out, some friends and associates will get them....and some will not.

Its called discrimination and humans do it everyday...all the time.

Blink

So... you equate now 'Marriage' to hanging out with friends?

I bet you're in a fantastic relation, with every one in your life! Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2015, 01:03 AM
RE: Oregon Couple refuses to pay damages to gays couple or comply with Gag Order
(07-10-2015 12:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 02:20 PM)cjlr Wrote:  It's discrimination against their god-given right to discriminate, morondog.

Clearly a demonic and tyrannical example of government overreach if ever there was one!
Discrimination is default human behavior and the one we evolved to have.

We've also evolved with the capacity to rape. Should we now make rape legal because it's natural, you stupid fuck? Facepalm

(07-10-2015 12:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You discriminate when your select your mate.

Discrimination is treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit.

One has to wonder why you're not choosing your mate on their individual merit. Probably says a lot about your (nonexistent) sex life. Drinking Beverage

(07-10-2015 12:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You discriminate when you select your friends, etc.

Discrimination is treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit.

One has to wonder why you're not choosing your friends on their individual merit. Probably says a lot about your (nonexistent) social life. Drinking Beverage

(07-10-2015 12:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If anything is a basic human right it is the right to discriminate.

There are no intrinsic basic human rights, there are only the rights we as a group decide to grant and recognize. Legitimizing discrimination is not one of them, you are the odd man out; you are a fucking caveman.

(07-10-2015 12:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Anti discrimination laws are the government attempts to modify your behavior.

So is taxing cigarettes, and making murder illegal. Your point?

(07-10-2015 12:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  To do this they must violate your basic human rights.

Discrimination is not a basic human right, and we already put laws in place to attempt to codify and protect the rights we do want to grant and protect.

(07-10-2015 12:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Now sometimes there is a great societal need to violate peoples basic human rights but this isn't one of them.

That's cool, because discrimination isn't a basic human right, so there is that.

(07-10-2015 12:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  There is no evidence this gay couple wouldn't be served by the market.

Doesn't matter, and the law written as is doesn't make that distinction nor should it.

(07-10-2015 12:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The bakers were punished because the gay community would be butthurt if they weren't.

They were punished because they could not keep their bigotry in check and broke the law by violating the codified right to equal treatment that the gay couple is guaranteed according to both state and federal law.

You are one stupid motherfucker.

(07-10-2015 12:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Preventing butthurt is not a great societal need and so yes, the state is being tyrannical.

That is really what it comes down too.

What it comes down to is you are a fucking moron incapable of empathy and with the reading comprehension of a retarded pet rock.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-10-2015, 01:13 AM
(07-10-2015 01:03 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 12:58 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Essentially this very thing happens all the time. A couple plans to get married. They announce it everyone. They even put a notice in the paper so that people they don't even know....we know they are getting married. However, when the invitations are sent out, some friends and associates will get them....and some will not.

Its called discrimination and humans do it everyday...all the time.

Blink

So... you equate now 'Marriage' to hanging out with friends?

I bet you're in a fantastic relation, with every one in your life! Thumbsup

A wedding and the ensuing reception is a gathering of friends....and sometimes unfortunately....family.

I don't have a fantastic relation with everyone in my life but I most certainly do not suffer from a lack of companionship or love from others.
07-10-2015, 01:21 AM
(07-10-2015 12:07 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 10:09 PM)ZoraPrime Wrote:  The usual "litmus" test for this is how much would the situation change if the plaintiffs were the "privileged class" instead of the "protected class;" but no other changes were made. In this case, the costumer, the couple to be wed, and the plaintiffs are one in the same. If they were a straight couple, then there would be no issue; ergo, it's "because they're gay." In the example you provided, the costumer is not the couple to be wed; the question could very will hinge on who's the plaintiff.

If the plaintiffs were the privileged class then couple would have to be comprised of one male and one female. If the business would provide a cake for the marriage between a gay man and gay woman but would not provide a cake for a marriage between a straight woman and another straight woman, then sexual orientation isn't the reason for the denial of service.

People get married for all sorts of reasons and it is not far fetched for a gay man to marry a gay woman so one of them could collect some benefit. Citizenship, monetary entitlement, etc. are all reasons people get married.

I thought it'd be obvious from context that when I said straight couple, I meant one man and one women instead of two men and two women. Facepalm
07-10-2015, 01:38 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 01:48 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(07-10-2015 01:21 AM)ZoraPrime Wrote:  I thought it'd be obvious from context that when I said straight couple, I meant one man and one women instead of two men and two women. Facepalm

The point of my post was that the litmus test as you errantly described it, shows you are conflating sexual orientation with same sex marriage. They are not the same thing.

If you just change the sexual orientation of the plaintiffs...the couple still doesn't get the cake.
07-10-2015, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 08:12 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(07-10-2015 01:38 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 01:21 AM)ZoraPrime Wrote:  I thought it'd be obvious from context that when I said straight couple, I meant one man and one women instead of two men and two women. Facepalm

The point of my post was that the litmus test as you errantly described it, shows you are conflating sexual orientation with same sex marriage. They are not the same thing.

Blink

I guess Blowjob lives in a world where gay couples get straight married, and where bigoted bakers have the right to deny you services if they suspect you don't prefer P-in-the-V sex exclusively.

Which is ironic, because the end goal is for there to just be marriage; in the same way that we would hopefully no longer make the distinction of 'gay marriage' in the same way as we no longer distinguish 'interracial marriage', they're all just 'marriage'. It was the baker's inability to do just that, to not discriminate against the marriages of gay couples and treat them the same as a straight couple, that caused them to break the law. 14'th Amendment is a bitch, ain't it?

What a fucking tool...

07-10-2015, 05:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 06:06 AM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
I was listening to the radio when I was on vacation up in Seattle, and they were interviewing a caller that said his bakery in Oregon gets around the law because gay couples won't buy his cakes. After that other bakery got in trouble, he modified all of his cake designs to have a man and woman cake topper on all of his wedding cakes and the words Bride & Groom on the side of every cake. He doesn't offer modified cakes or special order designs. He said he would have no problems selling a cake for a gay wedding, but they'll get the same cake topper all ready attached to the top of the cake that every other customer would get, a female bride and a male groom holding hands. Because he offers the same products to everyone, and even has a "gays welcome" sign in the window, he hasn't been found in violation of the law. Gay couples just don't buy his cakes.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
07-10-2015, 05:49 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 05:53 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(07-10-2015 05:42 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I was listening to the radio when I was on vacation up in Seattle, and they were interviewing a caller that said his bakery in Oregon gets around the law because gay couples won't buy his cakes. After this bakery got in trouble, he modified all of his cake designs to have a man and woman cake topper on all of his wedding cakes and the words Bride & Groom on the side of every cake. He doesn't offer modified cakes or special order designs. He said he would have no problems selling a cake for a gay wedding, but they'll get the same cake topper all ready attached to the top of the cake that every other customer would get, a female bride and a male groom holding hands. Because he offers the same products to everyone, and even has a "gays welcome" sign in the window, he hasn't been found in violation of the law. They just don't buy his cakes.

And so long as he doesn't offer custom cakes (but only for straight couples) or wedding catering (but only for straight couples), then he's not in violation because he's treating everyone equally. That is another option available to people who cannot stow their bigotry enough to offer all services to all customers; you cut the services you offer, not discriminate against certain customers. He's limiting his options, and is most likely loosing some business because of it; but he is exercising his choice (and freedom of conscious) within the bounds of the law. Not at all different from a restaurant that only offers vegan options because the owner objects to using animals; they're not discriminating so long as they do not offer bacon to everyone equally.

Cue Blowjob completely missing the point in 3... 2... 1...

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
07-10-2015, 06:45 AM
(07-10-2015 01:13 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  A wedding and the ensuing reception is a gathering of friends....and sometimes unfortunately....family.

The bakers are not required to attend the wedding as guests or to congratulate the couple. They are not required to approve of the event in any way.

The bakery is required to treat same-sex couples the same way it treats others.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
07-10-2015, 07:33 AM
(01-10-2015 08:32 PM)Logisch Wrote:  If you've read the lawsuit, the damages aren't from actually having them refusing to bake a cake, it's that the people who owned the bakery doxxed the couple online who wanted the cake, and ended up getting death threats and nearly lost custody of their kid because they were afraid they couldn't keep them safe.

You can read the ruling here (page 12 regarding being doxxed): http://www.oregon.gov/boli/SiteAssets/pa...s%20FO.pdf

Wait. You're saying a Fox News article only told half the story and Blow Job just ran with it!?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post