Organ Donation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Organ Donation
According to this article there is a long running shortage of organ donors in the UK. The report quoted in the article discusses offering to pay funeral costs for donors in an attempt to increase donor numbers, it stops short of recommending and 'opt out' policy (where people are automatically considered unless they explicitly objected).

I'm wondering whether it would be so bad to make organ donation compulsory. I've been reading Lucradis' 'Pro-Lifers' thread and most people seem to think that the rights of a living woman are more important than those of an unborn foetus. In that case surely the right to live for a living person is far more important than a dead persons rights. Can we really condone letting people die just to accommodate a dead persons traditions or personal feelings?

I know that any sort of law like this will never happen (at least unless there is a major change in public opinion to organ donation) but I would just like to hear other peoples opinions.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
29-10-2011, 10:26 PM
RE: Organ Donation
Well I ticked the box on my licence.
I won’t be using them if I’m assuming ambient temperature, and they’ll bbq the rest so why not?

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Karl's post
29-10-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm a donor -can't see any reason not to be. I decided long ago to think of it as my little stab at immortality... a limited immortality. Wink
I have a friend who donated one of his kidneys and he's still alive! It's kept his daughter alive and healthy for going on 6 years now.
Big Grin

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
30-10-2011, 12:52 AM
Besides stupid religious reasons which aren't valid I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't donate your organs.
It should be compulsory really.
That's my two cents worth
30-10-2011, 03:43 AM
Science is defying death more and more, and we are learning that what has been DEAD before is not always dead, with people being brought to life hours after the heart has stopped.

If there were a way to know 100% that NOTHING could bring someone back tho, then I'd vote for compulsory. Anyway, I'm a donor! Heart
30-10-2011, 07:44 AM
I'll be a donar when I die, they gave me a medical exam and told me what parts they were likely to take(corneas, liver, blood(O-)).
I think its a great idea, and it should be compulsory. Isn't it compulsory in Sweden? can someone find the statistics of how many people actually get transplants in Sweden as opposed to the number in the USA?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
30-10-2011, 08:27 AM
I've not yet decided if i'll be a donor or not. But I'm leaning more towards donating my organs when I die. It's not like I'll need them when I'm dead. That way atleast some good comes out of it instead of them just rotting away.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
30-10-2011, 03:38 PM
It would be great if it was an opt out strategy I find that most non-donors are such because they never thought much about it. I'm actually not a donor currently but I'm in the process of moving. I just never filled out the card if they made it compulsory I wouldn't worry any. i see no reason my dead body needs the rights. i understand that people in comas may eventually come out but if you're brain dead it's not gonna get anywhere. There is a point where limited death is too far to really recover from.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
30-10-2011, 05:12 PM
(30-10-2011 03:38 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  It would be great if it was an opt out strategy I find that most non-donors are such because they never thought much about it. I'm actually not a donor currently but I'm in the process of moving. I just never filled out the card if they made it compulsory I wouldn't worry any. i see no reason my dead body needs the rights. i understand that people in comas may eventually come out but if you're brain dead it's not gonna get anywhere. There is a point where limited death is too far to really recover from.

I was referring more to the story I recently heard of a woman who was trapped under an avalanche and died, but due to the cold was able to be brought back to life. She was DEAD dead dead, but the cold somehow kept her in a position to be brought back to life.

If we start harvesting organs in situations like that because it is compulsory then we give up a life to save a life...
30-10-2011, 05:14 PM
it's always been understood that being frozen presents a special case. That's why people looked to cryogenics so readily. Ancient ancestors have seemed perfectly alive. and anyway if it weren't for the embalming I'm sure we'd still have about 1% or the dead clawing in their coffins. Organ donation relies on the body still being alive. They keep it going after the brain dies so they can preserve the organs better.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.