Organic Foods dirty little secret

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2015, 08:20 AM
Organic Foods dirty little secret

Quote:Herzig said that what people who consistently eat organic foods are purchasing is the emotional satisfaction of knowing they're taking steps to improve themselves and the environment.

"Is it actually better for you?" she said. "I'd go with no."

The Mayo Clinic backs up that position. It says researchers have concluded that "organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs are not significantly different in their nutrient content."

Shocking news is shocking Organic labels are just a price gouge nothing more.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
26-05-2015, 08:39 AM
RE: Organic Foods dirty little secret
Oh that's been known for quite some time, and of course the taste benefit some people speak of is massively physiologically influenced.

Also, at least as far as the US goes, things saying Organic, Natural, or Local in grocery stores doesn't really mean anything. The FDA has no regulation on what the terms actually mean so it's not checked on any level to how accurate those labels are.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-05-2015, 09:32 AM
I don't think the claims of organic producers are that their foodstuffs are more nutritious, but rather, that they are healthier by dint of lacking pesticide residue, etc.

I don't buy organic stuff because it's too expensive, and I know how to wash my food before cooking it.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
26-05-2015, 09:41 AM
(26-05-2015 09:32 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I don't think the claims of organic producers are that their foodstuffs are more nutritious, but rather, that they are healthier by dint of lacking pesticide residue, etc.

I don't buy organic stuff because it's too expensive, and I know how to wash my food before cooking it.

I still prefer (and do) by organic. I just don't want the pesticides. I'm vegan and fruits/veggies are a large part of my diet. Trader Joe's sells a really good fruit and veggie wash.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
26-05-2015, 09:59 AM
(26-05-2015 09:41 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(26-05-2015 09:32 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I don't think the claims of organic producers are that their foodstuffs are more nutritious, but rather, that they are healthier by dint of lacking pesticide residue, etc.

I still prefer (and do) by organic. I just don't want the pesticides. I'm vegan and fruits/veggies are a large part of my diet. Trader Joe's sells a really good fruit and veggie wash.

Except there is no noticeable difference between the Organic and non-organic. It has always been a scam to prey on fear.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
26-05-2015, 10:12 AM
(26-05-2015 09:59 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(26-05-2015 09:41 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I still prefer (and do) by organic. I just don't want the pesticides. I'm vegan and fruits/veggies are a large part of my diet. Trader Joe's sells a really good fruit and veggie wash.

Except there is no noticeable difference between the Organic and non-organic. It has always been a scam to prey on fear.

I read the article and hear what you are saying. But I also have read articles that say pesticides can contribute to Alzheimer's Disease, cancer, etc. and since I eat a large amount of fruits/veggies, I choose to err on the side of caution--just to be on the safe side.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-05-2015, 10:43 AM
(26-05-2015 10:12 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(26-05-2015 09:59 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Except there is no noticeable difference between the Organic and non-organic. It has always been a scam to prey on fear.

I read the article and hear what you are saying. But I also have read articles that say pesticides can contribute to Alzheimer's Disease, cancer, etc. and since I eat a large amount of fruits/veggies, I choose to err on the side of caution--just to be on the safe side.

And this opens you up to being taken advantage of.

26-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Rule of thumb --- If it's trendy, fashionable, or chic - it's way overpriced.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post
26-05-2015, 10:47 AM
(26-05-2015 10:43 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(26-05-2015 10:12 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I read the article and hear what you are saying. But I also have read articles that say pesticides can contribute to Alzheimer's Disease, cancer, etc. and since I eat a large amount of fruits/veggies, I choose to err on the side of caution--just to be on the safe side.

And this opens you up to being taken advantage of.

I guess it all depends on how you look at things...

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-05-2015, 10:50 AM
I don't like being scammed. Thats how I look at it. *nods*
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post