Organic Foods dirty little secret

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2015, 01:38 PM
RE: Organic Foods dirty little secret
(26-05-2015 01:33 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Funny. Some of the people I know who are totally organic and never let any meat touch their lips look like 10-15 years older than they are. Just something I've noticed over the years.

Really? I know a lot of vegans who look a lot younger than their real age. I am vegan and people always tell me I look young for my age. But I also know a lot of meat eaters who look good for their age. In my opinion, I think it has a lot to do with how well you take care of yourself in general (i.e. exercise/low fat diet/staying out of the sun).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
26-05-2015, 01:46 PM
(26-05-2015 01:38 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(26-05-2015 01:33 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Funny. Some of the people I know who are totally organic and never let any meat touch their lips look like 10-15 years older than they are. Just something I've noticed over the years.

Really? I know a lot of vegans who look a lot younger than their real age. I am vegan and people always tell me I look young for my age. But I also know a lot of meat eaters who look good for their age. In my opinion, I think it has a lot to do with how well you take care of yourself in general (i.e. exercise/low fat diet/staying out of the sun).

Not saying everyone who eats meat is healthy (because they are not) but from a pure nutritional and health standpoint we are omnivores so a well balanced diet including meat is automatically healthier than one that excludes meat or any other major food source like carbs. There some vague ethical reasons for vegetarianism or veganism but from a health standpoint they fall apart.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
26-05-2015, 01:50 PM
(26-05-2015 01:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(26-05-2015 01:38 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Really? I know a lot of vegans who look a lot younger than their real age. I am vegan and people always tell me I look young for my age. But I also know a lot of meat eaters who look good for their age. In my opinion, I think it has a lot to do with how well you take care of yourself in general (i.e. exercise/low fat diet/staying out of the sun).

Not saying everyone who eats meat is healthy (because they are not) but from a pure nutritional and health standpoint we are omnivores so a well balanced diet including meat is automatically healthier than one that excludes meat or any other major food source like carbs. There some vague ethical reasons for vegetarianism or veganism but from a health standpoint they fall apart.

I have read articles by nutritionists that say veganism is healthier--but I have also read articles suggesting eating low fat meat is healthier. Either way, I don't really do it for health reasons. I love animals so I don't eat meat--it's just a personal preference, plus I don't really like the consistency of meat, it kind of skeeves me--but I don't look down on others who do eat meat. Like I say, it's my personal preference.
26-05-2015, 01:54 PM
And if anyone is interested in veganism--you can get complete proteins from a non-meat diet. You don't need to eat meat to achieve that. Pm me if interested...
26-05-2015, 02:09 PM
(26-05-2015 01:34 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(26-05-2015 09:41 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I still prefer (and do) by organic. I just don't want the pesticides. I'm vegan and fruits/veggies are a large part of my diet. Trader Joe's sells a really good fruit and veggie wash.

Yeah, I used to use it when I lived in SoCal and they had TJ's handy. I suppose I could look into Whole Foods Market, but in the meantime I do a thorough spray rinse.

I have also seen the veggie wash at Sprout's. i dunno if you have those where you are?
26-05-2015, 02:17 PM
I wish more vegans were tolerant like that. I work with one who hates it when I bring in leftovers from last night's grilling for lunch, she definitely throws attitude.

eta: Never heard of Sprout's, I'll look around. I have a whole foods about 14 miles back towards town from me, though.
26-05-2015, 02:25 PM
(26-05-2015 02:17 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I wish more vegans were tolerant like that. I work with one who hates it when I bring in leftovers from last night's grilling for lunch, she definitely throws attitude.

eta: Never heard of Sprout's, I'll look around. I have a whole foods about 14 miles back towards town from me, though.

Thanks, I don't believe in being militant about it. I actually find more people are interested in trying a recipe here and there, finding out about cruelty-free products, and are generally more interested in what you have to say if you are not acting like a martyr.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-05-2015, 02:30 PM
"Organic" doesn't mean "healthy"....

A dead dog infected with rabies is "organic" --- but I'm not gonna eat it......

Personally I make sure my food is healthy - by shooting it, gutting it and butchering it myself.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
26-05-2015, 03:10 PM
(26-05-2015 02:25 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(26-05-2015 02:17 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I wish more vegans were tolerant like that. I work with one who hates it when I bring in leftovers from last night's grilling for lunch, she definitely throws attitude.

Thanks, I don't believe in being militant about it. I actually find more people are interested in trying a recipe here and there, finding out about cruelty-free products, and are generally more interested in what you have to say if you are not acting like a martyr.

I couldn't live without a nice ribeye done medium rare every so often ... or chicken kebabs basted in butter on flatbread with tzatziki ... damn, I'm getting hungry. I'll be grilling tonight, no doubt. Big Grin
27-05-2015, 01:47 PM
Since labelling of food products as "organic" is for the most part unregulated in north America - yeah, no shit. It's a total feel-good profit scheme.

Until such time as we've got a much better handle on controlling our own population growth and resource consumption, the overriding moral concern - should one value the continued existence and comfort of the species, naturally - can only be efficiency. Sustainability would be second, but it's a contingent factor.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post