Organic Foods dirty little secret

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2015, 04:05 PM
RE: Organic Foods dirty little secret
(27-05-2015 03:48 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(26-05-2015 09:59 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Except there is no noticeable difference between the Organic and non-organic. It has always been a scam to prey on fear.

http://www.trueactivist.com/study-this-i...ampaign=sh

*YAWN*

It's my decision to eat organic foods. I wish people who don't eat it would just be happy with their own decision and stop trying to make themselves feel better by convincing themselves by telling others that there is no difference except cost.

It's the same tired arguments again and again.

As usual I'll just reply that for me it's not just about pesticides but also probability of not being vulnerable to the next food scare because of the intense commercial pressure to produce food as cheaply as possible at the expense of quality and health concerns.

Sorry I'll take the word of an actual study done by a respected organization like the Mayo Clinic over an obviously biased website that makes huge claims without many facts.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
27-05-2015, 04:14 PM
(27-05-2015 04:05 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Sorry I'll take the word of an actual study done by a respected organization like the Mayo Clinic over an obviously biased website that makes huge claims without many facts.

And that's entirely your choice, yet you don't see me preaching to you about how you're being fooled.

That was just one example that came quickly to hand.

From experience I've learnt that most Americans don't know what goes into their food or how it is produced. For example on a chilli forum people were talking about regularly washing the vegetables they bought in a supermarket with dawn washing up liquid completely ignorant about the carcinogenic chemicals in it. I realised that it was the equivalent of our Fairy Liquid and posted a page explaining all the chemicals in it. As a European I often hear about chemicals that are banned here which are still allowed and regularly used in America in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

So excuse me if I am not going to listen to someone insecure in their own choices and who has to go off and preach to others, much like how people preach to vegetarians, vegans or people who need to eat gluten free for example.
27-05-2015, 04:15 PM
(26-05-2015 10:12 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(26-05-2015 09:59 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Except there is no noticeable difference between the Organic and non-organic. It has always been a scam to prey on fear.

I read the article and hear what you are saying. But I also have read articles that say pesticides can contribute to Alzheimer's Disease, cancer, etc. and since I eat a large amount of fruits/veggies, I choose to err on the side of caution--just to be on the safe side.

The folks on Skeptic's Guide to the Universe (science and skepticism podcast) said that organic farmers actually do use pesticides, but they are considered "all natural" (whatever that means) and are therefore under regulated and under tested. Also the organic farmers tend to have to use more of these "all natural" pesticides because of course they don't work as well as the real thing.

Quote:It is true that organic produce has fewer pesticide residues, but this is partly an artifact of measuring pesticides used by conventional farming. Organic farmers also use pesticides – they use “natural” pesticides that are presumed safe, without real evidence. There is also no evidence that the small residues on conventional produce have any negative health effects.

The fallacy here is the same as in some other areas, like alternative medicine – things that are “natural” are presumed safe and superior, and therefore don’t have to be studied. This is nothing more than the naturalistic fallacy. Organic pesticides that are studied have been found to be as toxic as synthetic pesticides, and in general are less effective and so have to be used more often, which can be worse for the environment.

The authors report the result of various surveys that indicate that people choose organic to avoid pesticides, because they believe it is more nutritious and healthy, because they think it is environmentally better, and because organic food tastes better. None of these claims are supported by science.
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index...c-farming/
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
27-05-2015, 04:19 PM
(27-05-2015 04:14 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(27-05-2015 04:05 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Sorry I'll take the word of an actual study done by a respected organization like the Mayo Clinic over an obviously biased website that makes huge claims without many facts.

And that's entirely your choice, yet you don't see me preaching to you about how you're being fooled.

That was just one example that came quickly to hand.

From experience I've learnt that most Americans don't know what goes into their food or how it is produced. For example on a chilli forum people were talking about regularly washing the vegetables they bought in a supermarket with dawn washing up liquid completely ignorant about the carcinogenic chemicals in it. I realised that it was the equivalent of our Fairy Liquid and posted a page explaining all the chemicals in it. As a European I often hear about chemicals that are banned here which are still allowed and regularly used in America in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

So excuse me if I am not going to listen to someone insecure in their own choices and who has to go off and preach to others, much like how people preach to vegetarians, vegans or people who need to eat gluten free for example.

I wouldn't say that he's preaching or "so insecure in his own choices" that he's trying to tell everyone how they should eat. To me the thread is saying "hey, here's what organic food claims to be, and it has been refuted by scientific evidence". Undecided
[+] 9 users Like Smercury44's post
27-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Only organic food is if you go into the wild and gather it yourself. And even then organic food can have things as bad as peticides like bugs and bacteria.

Organic=/=healthy

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
27-05-2015, 04:27 PM
Someone's buying organic veggies my Lord
Kumbaya
Kumbaya
Kumbaya
Oooooooh Lord Ohmy
Kumbaya

Someone's mutating plants into monsters my Lord
Kumbaya
Someone's cackling in their laboratory
Kumbaya
Someone's an evil scientist my Lord
Kumbaya

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
27-05-2015, 05:02 PM
(27-05-2015 04:05 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(27-05-2015 03:48 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  http://www.trueactivist.com/study-this-i...ampaign=sh

*YAWN*

It's my decision to eat organic foods. I wish people who don't eat it would just be happy with their own decision and stop trying to make themselves feel better by convincing themselves by telling others that there is no difference except cost.

It's the same tired arguments again and again.

As usual I'll just reply that for me it's not just about pesticides but also probability of not being vulnerable to the next food scare because of the intense commercial pressure to produce food as cheaply as possible at the expense of quality and health concerns.

Sorry I'll take the word of an actual study done by a respected organization like the Mayo Clinic over an obviously biased website that makes huge claims without many facts.

I like the Mayo Clinic and I do think they are a respected organization, however, I like to review several peer-reviewed articles, studies, and so on before I base my opinion on one article--regardless of who is putting it out.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
27-05-2015, 06:09 PM
As an organic chemist, I personally hate food stealing the name "organic". I actually have had someone, with a straight face, ask me whether I do food chemistry. The only thing you consume that isn't organic by definition is water and even that has organic material in it. Your body really isn't good at breaking down purely inorganic things.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 8 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
27-05-2015, 06:22 PM
(27-05-2015 04:14 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  For example on a chilli forum people were talking about regularly washing the vegetables they bought in a supermarket with dawn washing up liquid completely ignorant about the carcinogenic chemicals in it.

Wait....is...is that an actual thing? Shocking

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
27-05-2015, 07:03 PM
(26-05-2015 09:59 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  ...
It has always been a scam to prey on fear.

Nope.

It may have become a scam. But in the UK, at least, it started as a reaction to health concerns (many unfounded, of course).

This happens all to easily in an unregulated / ill-defined market.

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post