Organic Foods dirty little secret

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2015, 07:31 PM
RE: Organic Foods dirty little secret
I regard all advertising as bullshit.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
27-05-2015, 10:13 PM
(27-05-2015 04:14 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  For example on a chilli forum people were talking about regularly washing the vegetables they bought in a supermarket with dawn washing up liquid completely ignorant about the carcinogenic chemicals in it. I realised that it was the equivalent of our Fairy Liquid and posted a page explaining all the chemicals in it.

Out of curiosity, but do even know how a compound is determined to be carcinogenic? Not trying to be argumentative or whatnot, just wondering.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
28-05-2015, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2015 12:24 AM by Mathilda.)
(27-05-2015 05:02 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I like the Mayo Clinic and I do think they are a respected organization, however, I like to review several peer-reviewed articles, studies, and so on before I base my opinion on one article--regardless of who is putting it out.

Never heard of the Mayo clinic. But I looked into the question of organic food many years ago, weighed up the probabilities and costs and decided to minimise my exposure to chemicals. This isn't just organic food, but other things as well. So I don't put on make-up for example. Lipstick isn't designed to be edible yet we put it on our lips, and it doesn't last very long. Where does it go? We know medical creams are topical and effective so we know that the skin absorbs stuff.

I also don't put on deodrant (I just wash and shave my pits, no ones complained so far). I don't spray air freshener around my house and try to use simpler more natural products to clean the house (when I do clean that is). Your floor make smell lemony fresh after you clean it, but it all dries up afterwards. The residue of that cleaning product becomes part of the house dust you breathe in.

I can't avoid using washing up liquid but I will make sure to rinse utensils thoroughly before using them.

This may sound strange but the cell is an amazingly complex thing that is constantly dividing and reproducing. We know that DNA can be damaged by exposure to some chemicals. We are what we eat. Our body is constantly renewing itself. So to me it is common sense to live healthily and to minimise my exposure to anything that can compromise my health. People take health for granted but when they become seriously ill they would pay any amount of money to get it back if they could. It's just easier to look after it in the first place I think and if that means being more careful then that's not too costly.

People may think that I was harsh to use the word preaching here, but I have both ethical concerns and wish to stay healthy for as long as possible. I eat brown bread instead of white. I try to avoid factory farmed chicken and their eggs. I minimise my exposure to chemicals. I am strongly considering divesting my pension from companies who's activities encourage climate change, I eat organic food.

I have made many decisions on how to lead my life, but people are always demanding that I justify my decision to eat organic food.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
28-05-2015, 12:18 AM
(27-05-2015 06:09 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  As an organic chemist, I personally hate food stealing the name "organic". I actually have had someone, with a straight face, ask me whether I do food chemistry. The only thing you consume that isn't organic by definition is water and even that has organic material in it. Your body really isn't good at breaking down purely inorganic things.

Yeah it's a crap name. On the continent food they call it bio.
28-05-2015, 12:21 AM
(28-05-2015 12:18 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(27-05-2015 06:09 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  As an organic chemist, I personally hate food stealing the name "organic". I actually have had someone, with a straight face, ask me whether I do food chemistry. The only thing you consume that isn't organic by definition is water and even that has organic material in it. Your body really isn't good at breaking down purely inorganic things.

Yeah it's a crap name. On the continent food they call it bio.

Bio...?

That's no better at all!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
28-05-2015, 12:24 AM
(28-05-2015 12:21 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(28-05-2015 12:18 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Yeah it's a crap name. On the continent food they call it bio.

Bio...?

That's no better at all!

I agree but at least the word Bio by itself was meaningless unlike organic which has a very specific meaning.

Bio was better than calling food biological for example.
28-05-2015, 02:38 AM
(26-05-2015 09:32 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I don't think the claims of organic producers are that their foodstuffs are more nutritious, but rather, that they are healthier by dint of lacking pesticide residue, etc.

I don't buy organic stuff because it's too expensive, and I know how to wash my food before cooking it.

Except that non-GMO crops actually need more pesticides to protect them, leaving them with a greater chance of accidental pesticide residue.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
28-05-2015, 06:11 AM
(28-05-2015 02:38 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Except that non-GMO crops actually need more pesticides to protect them, leaving them with a greater chance of accidental pesticide residue.

I wasn't arguing that they were correct. I was pointing out that that is the given rationale.
28-05-2015, 07:13 AM
(28-05-2015 12:16 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(27-05-2015 05:02 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I like the Mayo Clinic and I do think they are a respected organization, however, I like to review several peer-reviewed articles, studies, and so on before I base my opinion on one article--regardless of who is putting it out.

Never heard of the Mayo clinic. But I looked into the question of organic food many years ago, weighed up the probabilities and costs and decided to minimise my exposure to chemicals. This isn't just organic food, but other things as well. So I don't put on make-up for example. Lipstick isn't designed to be edible yet we put it on our lips, and it doesn't last very long. Where does it go? We know medical creams are topical and effective so we know that the skin absorbs stuff.

I also don't put on deodrant (I just wash and shave my pits, no ones complained so far). I don't spray air freshener around my house and try to use simpler more natural products to clean the house (when I do clean that is). Your floor make smell lemony fresh after you clean it, but it all dries up afterwards. The residue of that cleaning product becomes part of the house dust you breathe in.

I can't avoid using washing up liquid but I will make sure to rinse utensils thoroughly before using them.

This may sound strange but the cell is an amazingly complex thing that is constantly dividing and reproducing. We know that DNA can be damaged by exposure to some chemicals. We are what we eat. Our body is constantly renewing itself. So to me it is common sense to live healthily and to minimise my exposure to anything that can compromise my health. People take health for granted but when they become seriously ill they would pay any amount of money to get it back if they could. It's just easier to look after it in the first place I think and if that means being more careful then that's not too costly.

People may think that I was harsh to use the word preaching here, but I have both ethical concerns and wish to stay healthy for as long as possible. I eat brown bread instead of white. I try to avoid factory farmed chicken and their eggs. I minimise my exposure to chemicals. I am strongly considering divesting my pension from companies who's activities encourage climate change, I eat organic food.

I have made many decisions on how to lead my life, but people are always demanding that I justify my decision to eat organic food.

I try and use as many non-toxic items as I can--and certainly cruelty-free. I don't think I could give up my make-up and deodorant--but I try and use all paraben-free, cruelty-free, naturally based products. I try and clean my house with as many natural and green products as possible.

I am a live your life the way you want to live it, screw what everyone else thinks type of person. I don't preach to people and I don't like them preaching to me. I had enough of that growing up in a church that tried to dictate all aspects of my life.

I agree, chemicals are scary business. New studies are coming out all the time about growing health concerns of various chemicals and their effects on reproduction, cancer, and other health related issues. Things that were once deemed safe are later on deemed as contributory to a whole host of things as more studies are done. For instance, there are now studies being done on the link between pesticides and Parkinson's.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I eat a large amount of fruits and veggies as a vegan--it makes up a pretty big portion of my diet. Due to the fact that I consume large amounts, I prefer to try and be as chemical free as possible. I am sorry if my being vegan and using organic bothers some people--but I am happy and I really have a F U mentality for anyone who has a problem with me. I frankly don't have time for people like that.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
28-05-2015, 07:37 AM
(28-05-2015 07:13 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(28-05-2015 12:16 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Never heard of the Mayo clinic. But I looked into the question of organic food many years ago, weighed up the probabilities and costs and decided to minimise my exposure to chemicals. This isn't just organic food, but other things as well. So I don't put on make-up for example. Lipstick isn't designed to be edible yet we put it on our lips, and it doesn't last very long. Where does it go? We know medical creams are topical and effective so we know that the skin absorbs stuff.

I try and use as many non-toxic items as I can--and certainly cruelty-free. I don't think I could give up my make-up and deodorant--but I try and use all paraben-free, cruelty-free, naturally based products. I try and clean my house with as many natural and green products as possible.

I am a live your life the way you want to live it, screw what everyone else thinks type of person. I don't preach to people and I don't like them preaching to me. I had enough of that growing up in a church that tried to dictate all aspects of my life.

I agree, chemicals are scary business. New studies are coming out all the time about growing health concerns of various chemicals and their effects on reproduction, cancer, and other health related issues. Things that were once deemed safe are later on deemed as contributory to a whole host of things as more studies are done. For instance, there are now studies being done on the link between pesticides and Parkinson's.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I eat a large amount of fruits and veggies as a vegan--it makes up a pretty big portion of my diet. Due to the fact that I consume large amounts, I prefer to try and be as chemical free as possible. I am sorry if my being vegan and using organic bothers some people--but I am happy and I really have a F U mentality for anyone who has a problem with me. I frankly don't have time for people like that.

But what do you really think? Tongue
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post