Origin of the 7 days week.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2012, 08:50 PM
RE: Origin of the 7 days week.
Civilizations split the month to weeks as they see fit. The Chinese had an 8 days week over 3000 years ago. the Romans had a 8 days week as well.

Even if the origins of the 7 days week were Jewish, it wouldn't mean anything, other than they were somehow original for once. It's like saying that the almost world wide gregorian calender proves that Jesus existed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vlad's post
17-06-2012, 04:38 AM
My understanding of this tradition goes only back to the Roman empire, though there is definitely some Viking influence in English and French languages. Just see:

Monday - moon day, Lundi - Luna's day

Tuesday / Mardi - Mars' day
Wednesday - Wotan/Odin's day, Mercredi - Mercur's day
Thursday - Thor's day, Jeudi - Jupiter's day
Friday - Freya's day, Vendredi - Venus' day
Saturday - Saturn's day, Samedi - ??? (not to confuse with post-colonial Voodoo deity Baron Samedi)
Sunday - sun day obviously, Dimanche - ???

I would not be surprised if ancient Sumerians had names like Enkiday, Nintiday, Anuday, Ninchursag day, Tiamat day, Mardukday and so on.

Goddamit, I know already!!! There are just 7 "planets" visible by bare eye, right? Including Luna and the sun. They were named after gods and probably days were named after them.

17-06-2012, 05:06 AM
(16-06-2012 07:36 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(16-06-2012 07:23 PM)free2011 Wrote:  This is fascinating. I was under the impression that it had a biblical origin. Does this throw a wrench onto the Creation Story?
It didn't throw a wrench in the Creation Story when I was a creationist. The explanation I had on the subject was that the Jews picked up the 7 Day Calendar from the Babylonians who in turn got it from the Persians (don't really know the dates. The Akkadians certainly predate so they could be the source). But the calendar isn't necessary to believe in a 6 day creation. Just because there are 6 days of creation and a 7th day for rest doesn't mean Day 1 happened on Sunday, etc. Genesis 1 doesn't have to coincide with a calendar. But the rhythm of the weekly Sabbath would have been picked up by the Jews as a weekly reflection of the Creation Myth and Exodus (Sabbath Commandment is linked to both events).

The thing that is interesting to me, if I have correct information, is there are no celestial markers for the week. We know the length of a year by how long it takes to move around the sun. We know months from the moon. We know days from dark and light. But how did we get the week? People who keep the Sabbath use it as a "proof" that if not for God commanding the observance of Sabbath we wouldn't have a week.

But, as you point out, Vlad, a 7 day week long predates anything written in the Jewish Bible which the very first parts weren't even begun to be thought of until around 1000 BCE and not seriously edited and compiled until around the 5th Century BCE when the Jews were in Babylonian captivity and they decided to create a religion to support their national identity.
Which doesn't matter. Priests... Dodgy

And god said, "let there be light." There was light, it was good, yada yada, lesson one.

Hey, did you miss that lesson? Cause that's the whole fucking shizzbang, right there. Good = light. Beginning = light. Perception of beginning = electromagnetic radiation. Cause it don't matter wtf Moses said in the so called beginning, it matters how god begins. With light. Which is good. Which is the first measurement, night and day.

Now what remains is good and light. Entropy moving forward. What else was good, was mathematical chicanery. Ya got 7 days, 4 weeks, 13 months; you know what to do and when to do it. It's a memnotic device, primitive science, good. Didn't you read that book? Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
17-06-2012, 07:14 AM
(17-06-2012 04:38 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Sunday - sun day obviously, Dimanche - ???

"the Latin dies solis, meaning "sun's day": the name of a pagan Roman holiday. It is also called Dominica (Latin), the day of god. The Romance languages, languages derived from the ancient Latin language (such as French, Spanish, and Italian), retain the root."
French: dimanche; Italian: domenica; Spanish: domingo
German: Sonntag; Dutch: zondag. (both: 'sun-day')

"you know what to do and when to do it" ding ding

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
17-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Must have been around the same time the pentateuch books of the Bible were being written around 600BC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  last week of my religion class and.... goodwithoutgod 2 171 22-04-2014 05:18 PM
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  This week's discussion in my christian vision class goodwithoutgod 8 211 25-03-2014 08:44 PM
Last Post: Mark Fulton
  The origin paradox. "something from nothing" sporehux 49 993 17-02-2014 02:07 AM
Last Post: Youkay
  What is the origin of The Devil? Sovby 22 728 09-01-2014 08:09 AM
Last Post: docskeptic
  The Origin Of Species? ...1 star... Raptor Jesus 4 202 09-12-2013 10:55 PM
Last Post: Minimalist
  End of days TV show? PatThePoltergeist 4 176 04-12-2013 01:34 AM
Last Post: Rahn127
  My daughter's week at church Hafnof 8 488 12-07-2013 05:59 PM
Last Post: Rahn127