Original Sin Myth Dismissed?...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Original Sin Myth Dismissed?...
So I need a little help. I am an atheist and I even trusted the theory of evolution when i was a theist. I trust the theory of evolution because of the fossil record and so on. I just don't understand why the notion of original sin is automatically dismissed by evolution Huh . Thanks...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2015, 03:09 PM
RE: Original Sin Myth Dismissed?...
If we evolved, then there was no Adam and Eve. Original sin is a post-hoc rationalization for Jesus being crucified. If there was no Adam and Eve, then there is no such thing as original sin, and then there is no justification for Jesus' purpose, it becomes irrelevant.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
07-01-2015, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2015 10:36 AM by ghostexorcist.)
Because Adam and Even did not exist. Humans predate the mythical 6,000 year age of the biblical universe. Fossil evidence points to our species being around 200,000 years old. By the way, Mitochondrial Eve and Y-Chromosomal Adam lived thousands of years apart, just in case a creationist friend of yours tries to tie these human ancestors to the biblical characters.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post
07-01-2015, 03:13 PM
The notion of Original Sin is automatically dismissed by rubbing two brain cells together; wasn't sure what evolution had to do with it but the Inquisition handled that part. Tongue

living word
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
07-01-2015, 03:15 PM
(07-01-2015 03:12 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Because Adam and Even did not exist. Humans predate the mythical 6,000 year age of the biblical universe. Fossil evidence points to our species being around 200,000 years old. By the way, Mitochondrial Eve and Y-Chromosomal Adam lived thousands of years a part, just in case a creationist friend of yours tries to tie these human ancestors to the biblical characters.

I haven't seen that particular apologetics rationalization. Creationists go to absurd lengths to explain their myth.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
07-01-2015, 03:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 03:29 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(07-01-2015 03:15 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 03:12 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Because Adam and Even did not exist. Humans predate the mythical 6,000 year age of the biblical universe. Fossil evidence points to our species being around 200,000 years old. By the way, Mitochondrial Eve and Y-Chromosomal Adam lived thousands of years a part, just in case a creationist friend of yours tries to tie these human ancestors to the biblical characters.

I haven't seen that particular apologetics rationalization. Creationists go to absurd lengths to explain their myth.

Yep. Check out the mental gymnastics in this piece.

http://creation.com/a-shrinking-date-for-eve
07-01-2015, 03:33 PM
(07-01-2015 03:12 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Humans predate the mythical 6,000 year age of the biblical universe. Fossil evidence points to our species being around 200,000 years old.
Species (homo sapien) is an arbitrary demarcation point along the evolutionary history of us. There really is no physical demarcation, we didn't just pop into existence. Our lineage goes back over 3 billion years.
Sure there was a transition phase were our ancestors started coming up with the idea (beliefs) that some actions are right and some are wrong, hence they began to believe in moral agency (partook of the tree of knowledge of right and wrong) but this would have been over several generations worth of evolution and would have involved many participants (not just two) and would have been very primitive (simplistic) and later became more elaborate. Even today we haven't solved the problem of what is right and what is wrong. We are still fuzzy on this.

Eating apples isn't a sin. Lust isn't a sin. There was no creator god so we can have offended it so there is no sin. Death is not payment for sin, certainly not the death of a third party innocent. It is a ridiculous notion.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
07-01-2015, 03:42 PM
(07-01-2015 03:33 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Species (homo sapien) is an arbitrary demarcation point along the evolutionary history of us. There really is no physical demarcation, we didn't just pop into existence. Our lineage goes back over 3 billion years.

I never claimed we popped into existence. I was just noting the age of the current fossil evidence for our species. I know all about the extended history of our family. From my forum bio:

"US Army 82nd Airborne Division Paratrooper-turned-college student majoring in Biological Anthropology with an emphasis on Primates. I hope to focus on the primate fossil record in grad school."
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
07-01-2015, 03:42 PM
(07-01-2015 03:05 PM)chibigiraffe Wrote:  So I need a little help. I am an atheist and I even trusted the theory of evolution when i was a theist. I trust the theory of evolution because of the fossil record and so on. I just don't understand why the notion of original sin is automatically dismissed by evolution Huh . Thanks...

Give me one good reason it should be entertained at all.
It was invented by a couple of guilt ridden Christians to justify their cult, and explain what they thought was "evil" after the end-times didn't arrive as they had expected.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Catholics have some bullshit about the first souls. It's enough to make your head spin and your stomach queasy.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post