Original Words for 'Hell'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Original Words for 'Hell'
Saw this on a response to a rather hilarious thread of comments on a CNN article. Apparently, Costco had accidentally labeled some bibles with a 'Fiction' price tag. Anyways, one poster wrote this and I was unfamiliar with it:

Hell is translated from four words in the Bible

Sheowl -- taken from Canaanite mythology. It is a cognate (as are many Hebrew words) of the Canaanite goddess of the underworld, Shuwala. This is a place where EVERYONE goes, regardless of their actions. Jacob says he will go here (Genesis 38), as does the Prophet Samuel.

If you want a description read Numbers 16 -- it is just like Canaanites describe it.

Gehenna -- Merely the Valley of Hinnom in Jerusalem. Not particularly "hellish"
Hades -- Greek mythology. Originally the Greek god of the Underworld, later synonymous with the underworld itself
Tartaros -- found only in 2 Peter, this is again Greek mythology. It is a deep pit in Hades itself.

Sorry, I'm not scared of ancient mythology.

Is this BS or are these the actual words that hell was translated from? Not that it matters as my pre-destined self is headed there no matter what I do. Tongue

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2013, 08:24 PM
RE: Original Words for 'Hell'
Hell was used in European translations, whereas the old Greek Bibles used Hades/Gehenna.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hel_%28being%29

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-11-2013, 12:08 AM
RE: Original Words for 'Hell'
Here are The Young Turks in regards to the Costco kerfuffle...

As for the entomology, that looks about right from what I've seen before. To add another layer to it, the name 'Hell' itself comes from the Norse god of the underworld, Hel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hel_(being)

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post