Origins of Hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2013, 04:40 PM
RE: Origins of Hell
I always thought some poor fuck had to live a year at his mother - in laws house.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2018, 02:53 PM
Wasn't there an episode about this topic? I've looked through the archives, but I can't find it... Does anybody remember this?
11-02-2018, 09:13 PM
As has been noted, the Old Testament doesn't in fact have an eternal hell, writers like Isaiah who are quoted to that effect are probably being taken out of context. Dante had a big impact on how hell has been depicted, doubtless there have been other depictions of hell that have added to this cultural picture. But I see no reason to divorce the character of Jesus (whether he existed or not) from this belief. There are discrepancies and interpolations in the Gospels (the ending of Mark and the "cast the first stone" tale are later additions) but I see no reason to think that the teachings about hell come from centuries later (though obviously the teaching was developed and embellished overtime.)
Even among non-believers there is a tendency to view Jesus as a happy hippie-nice guy. There is a tendency to assume that Christianity's bad ideas must be imports into it by some other party (Emperors, Catholic clerics, hypocritical individuals, etc.) But the New Testament clearly teaches what is essentially the doctrine of hell; to pretend otherwise strikes me as a whitewashing of Christianity. We see it quite clearly in Mark 9:47-48:
"47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."
Christians like Origen and Tertullian were writing about hell before the 4th century. Tertullian, who lived in the 2nd and 3rd centuries, wrote gleefully about how great it would be to see all the sinners and philosophers burning in the fires.
The idea that Constantine or Nicaea or some unnamed Christians from the 4th century either forged the New Testament or filled it with all its objectionable material (like hell) is Internet myth, built on earlier myths. Sorry, the New Testament was objectionable long before Constantine, and the Council of Nicaea had no role in editing or selecting the books of the Bible.
Jesus in the Gospels is not a nice character; as Hitchens used to say:
"Not until gentle Jesus, meek and mild, are you told if you don’t make the right propitiations you can depart into everlasting fire."
I'm not sure why atheists would seek to nullify that reality, it would seem an obvious criticism of Christianity that we should hold to: the Christian notion of divine justice is based on vengeance, torture, and shows less proportionality than a common court. It is a feature of Christianity, a superstition at the heart of the Christian faith. Evil_monster
Nor does hell start with Christianity (1st, 4th, or 14th century.) Ideas similar to hell existed in Egyptian myth, Greek myth, while Zoroastrianism and even Buddhism have temporary hells.
11-02-2018, 09:20 PM
The heaven carrot wasn't enough persuasion, so the stick of hell was invented to try and keep the peons in line,

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
12-02-2018, 07:20 AM
(11-02-2018 09:20 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The heaven carrot wasn't enough persuasion, so the stick of hell was invented to try and keep the peons in line,

I was gonna say the same thing.
A "Goodfellas" comparison works also.
"Nice life you've got here. It'd be a real shame if something happened to it".
The shakedown.

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
12-02-2018, 07:40 AM
(12-02-2018 07:20 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(11-02-2018 09:20 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The heaven carrot wasn't enough persuasion, so the stick of hell was invented to try and keep the peons in line,

I was gonna say the same thing.
The shakedown.

It's exactly what tithing is - protection money.

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
12-02-2018, 07:46 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2018 07:50 AM by BikerDude.)
(12-02-2018 07:40 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(12-02-2018 07:20 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  I was gonna say the same thing.
The shakedown.

It's exactly what tithing is - protection money.

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]