Origins of monotheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2017, 08:18 AM
Origins of monotheism
Hello Confused this my first post here so I am not sure how this works but anyway. I Read somewhere that Yayweh Is one of the old Canaanite gods. Now I wish to ask if any of you know How they changed it and why? Sorry for my bad English BTW.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes sneering imperialist's post
06-03-2017, 08:37 AM
RE: Origins of monotheism
(06-03-2017 08:18 AM)sneering imperialist Wrote:  Hello Confused this my first post here so I am not sure how this works but anyway. I Read somewhere that Yayweh Is one of the old Canaanite gods. Now I wish to ask if any of you know How they changed it and why? Sorry for my bad English BTW.

Welcome.

Why don’t you tell us something about yourself, we’d like to get to know you.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Your English is fine.

I'm not an expert at such things but if you can get a copy of Karen Armstrong's A History of God, it goes into great detail of, well, the history of God, including the Yaweh/Canaanite connection.

Armstrong is an ex-nun, but still a Christian. That said, her book is very good and she pulls no punches when it comes to the mythical basis of Christianity.

There's also a documentary film which is worth seeing (it's about 90 minutes long but, IMO, worth the time):

Armstrong also has written, among other things, Fields of Blood: Religion and the History of Violence. A bit long and hard to get through at times, but still worth the effort.
[+] 5 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
06-03-2017, 09:00 AM
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-is-Yahweh

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-Look

There are many more threads here that talk about it. Search around for Yahweh, El, Elohim, and Asherah and you'll run across them

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
06-03-2017, 09:25 AM
(06-03-2017 08:18 AM)sneering imperialist Wrote:  Hello Confused this my first post here so I am not sure how this works but anyway. I Read somewhere that Yayweh Is one of the old Canaanite gods. Now I wish to ask if any of you know How they changed it and why? Sorry for my bad English BTW.

Actually he's the brother if "Sin" (who ended up as Allah), and one of the many children (the 40th son ??) of El Elyon from the Babylonian pantheon. He was the God of the Armies, (Yahweh Sabaoth, the "Lord of Hosts" ... a "host is an arrayed army in battle formation). Israel picked him to make a covenant with, so he would help them in their battles. He had a "consort" (wife), who eventually was dropped, as they moved towards monotheism, later in their history (after the Exile). There are earlier trials of monotheism, (one in Egypt which was rejected by the priests), and at least one other. The reason given, in general, for the move to monotheism, was that after the Exile, (during which the basic old traditional familial structures were disrupted), the notion arose in that instead of families conferring importance and identity, and family conferring "immortality" in the sense of "continuation", the *individual* became important, and along with the cultural change, it made sense to have one individual god.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-03-2017, 09:54 AM
(06-03-2017 08:37 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Welcome.

Why don’t you tell us something about yourself, we’d like to get to know you.

I agree. Thumbsup

Hey, Sneering Imperialist - hope you're getting some good feedback for your question - we do love the research questions & discussions. Wink

How about heading over to the Introductions section to make a little "get to know you" thread? It can help us all get to know each other better.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
06-03-2017, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome I will probably tell my life story in the near future.
[+] 2 users Like sneering imperialist's post