Origional sin - question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Origional sin - question
Did it start with st Augustine ? It is a concept - even when I was a believer- I doubted. What is the history behind it ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2013, 07:39 PM
RE: Origional sin - question
(25-10-2013 07:28 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  Did it start with st Augustine ? It is a concept - even when I was a believer- I doubted. What is the history behind it ?

According to The Cambridge Dictionary of Christian Theology it originates in Romans 3:22–6 and was developed by Augustine.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-10-2013, 07:44 PM
RE: Origional sin - question
(25-10-2013 07:28 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  Did it start with st Augustine ? It is a concept - even when I was a believer- I doubted. What is the history behind it ?

From a quick and cursory glance, it would seem that Augustine did have something to do with it...

Wikipedia Wrote:The concept of original sin was first alluded to in the 2nd century by Irenaeus, Bishop of Lyons in his controversy with certain dualist Gnostics. Other church fathers such as Augustine also developed the doctrine.[2]
[2]ODCC, ed. by Frank Leslie Cross; Elizabeth A. Livingstone (2005). "Original sin". The Oxford dictionary of the Christian Church (3rd rev. ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user