Orlando

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2016, 06:31 AM
RE: Orlando
Praying, chanting, singing, jogging, chocolate, any strenuous exercise and many other things release serotonin in the brain. This has a calming effect. That's why people pray.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2016, 09:23 AM
(14-06-2016 12:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  They're praying to make themselves feel better about the uncertainty of the world. It's a way of doing something without actually getting involved and doing something.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. It's a way to exert control over a situation that cannot be easily controlled.
15-06-2016, 09:45 AM
(15-06-2016 01:05 AM)Einharjar Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 10:14 AM)mgoering Wrote:  From a Christian perspective, what does it mean to pray for the families and victims of a tragedy? The Orlando night club for example. What exactly are you praying for?

We're told, God didn't cause this to happen. But we're to pray to him for mercy? Comfort? From what I've read, this God seems to get off on the suffering of people. I don't need to provide examples, instances of his lust for pain and suffering are rife throughout the OT. So, what kind of mercy are we expecting when we pray to him? And, why the hell do we have to beg for his mercy? These are questions that a rational non-believer asks when something like this happens.

Religion will never go away. The reality is that human beings will always be beset by tragedies so big an horrific that our minds can't handle them. And, individually and collectively we won't have answers to why they happened or how do we prevent them from happening again. This is where the irrational mind kicks in and we begin to imagine that an all powerful and almighty being exists who will comfort us, protect us and heal us. The ability for our mind to do this is a powerful way to keep from going insane I suppose.

That's my personal opinion about it because I used to be able to experience an incredible calming effect by praying whenever I was amped up with a lot of stress and anxiety. But, this isn't unique to me. You see examples of many strong, resilient people who derive their strength through a deep belief in God. That's why I say, it will never go away.

I agree in that religion will likely never go away, but this isn't due to it's calming effect or rationalization, it's due to fear. It's Human to fear death and to fear the unknown. The unknown could bring death in many way, you simply do not know. You're predisposed in your mind to fear the unknown. However, this "fear" is a logical driver, a motivator. For some, it motivates you to irrationalize hypothesis that merely requires confirmation bias to justify - hence religion. For others, they'll conquer the fear head on and directly investigate the said unknown, and in doing so uncover the unknown itself, revealing; removing the fear.

These are the two fundamental ways of dealing with that fear. Don't think that as an Atheist, one wouldn't have a fear of death either. At one point, I could feel that fear myself. I conquered it though through the pursuit of knowledge. What I discovered was that it wasn't just the knowledge that was fulfilling, but the pursuit itself (the journey).

From my past Christian self, I cannot tell you what Prayer was actually for. It only has one purpose that I ever truly understood - Reverence or acknowledging your Fear in the Lord.

Yup.

It's not for cuddly purposes. It literally has no other reason. Prayer doesn't change shit. Most of the of time Xtians will pray (including myself back then) in RESPONSE to a tragedy or cataclysm, not PRIOR to. We're always Praying FOR, but never BEFORE. Because we can never know what's going to happen. Sometimes, we'll pray and ask God for a better outcome, but what does it matter? When that bad outcome hits you instead of the good one, you pray to God some more "help me get through this test". When you cannot get out've that situation, you pray more then? Do you think you're really changing anything?

No. The only purpose of Prayer is to acknowledge your FEAR of God; that you've got no control and that supposedly, he does. It's begging. It's straight up begging and groveling. Hell, I know my own parents are going to say "we prayed for those effected" and I'll rebuke "and what good is that going to do them?"

They're never going to have an answer to that. They can never know. All they can do is respond to an event and go "Oh God Oh God, thanks for letting that not be me, Please don't let that be me! Oh God! I Don't want to Die/Be Poor/Turn Gay/Lose the Baseball Game ect.ect" and all sorts of dumb, irrational, fear mongering, selfish shit. Prayer doesn't mean anything, but fear.

I like your post and I agree, that for many, the notion of God is someone to fear. But, it got me thinking how the notion of God is different to different people. It all depends on how you were indoctrinated growing up.

If you attended a fire and brimstone, evangelical church, your more likely to have the notion that God is to be constantly feared. You worry about ever action you take and pray incessantly for forgiveness.

On the other hand, there are many churches that emphasize the cuddly God who, if you only trust and obey, will bring you joy in your heart, comfort in hard times, and in general, peace of mind.

And, in most cases you get it from both angles, the carrot and the stick, just one being emphasized more than the other. In the end, it's all psychological manipulation that plays on people's emotions.

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
[+] 1 user Likes mgoering's post