Oscars?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-02-2016, 09:53 AM
RE: Oscars?
(29-02-2016 09:28 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I dont watch awards shows anymore. One can only take so much of rich artists patting each other on the back.

I know what you mean.

Long ago, I worked for a company that designed, made and sold men's clothes. Quite why, I shall never know. Once a year, the designers had a bash at which they wasted lots of the company's money drinking copious amounts of alcohol whilst making tediously boring speeches and patting themselves on the back, once again, for designing clothes that everyone bought. So what were the public meant to wear, clothes that the industry didn't design or manufacture? Of course they got it right year upon year. It was a foregone conclusion.

I'd be more impressed with the Oscars if, once in a while, they'd say: "You know what? The acting this year is so piss-poor that we aren't giving out a Best Actor award. Then, the Oscars would actually mean something.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes god has no twitter account's post
29-02-2016, 11:28 PM
I think Chris Rock's little staged act was pretty ridiculous and hypocritical. If he was so incensed with the Academy, he could have turned down the JOB. He was hired to do a job. I think turning the awards into a political forum for every actor's favorite cause, and making it a chance to rant to a captive audience is a mistake and abusive. Also the new structure of the academy, dumping out older actors, is an even bigger mistake.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
01-03-2016, 03:19 PM
(28-02-2016 08:05 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 07:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Thanks for the suggestion.

I just added it my Netflix dvd queue.

It's at the top of the list.

It just won best original screenplay. My family is gonna shit!!!

Oh look, from today! Fodder for the upcoming sequel.

"Catholic bishops hid sexual abuse of Penn. children, says grand jury
For about 40 years, two Roman Catholic bishops covered up priests’ sexual abuse of children rather than defrocking them.”

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/201...grand-jury

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
01-03-2016, 04:07 PM
(29-02-2016 11:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I think Chris Rock's little staged act was pretty ridiculous and hypocritical. If he was so incensed with the Academy, he could have turned down the JOB. He was hired to do a job. I think turning the awards into a political forum for every actor's favorite cause, and making it a chance to rant to a captive audience is a mistake and abusive. Also the new structure of the academy, dumping out older actors, is an even bigger mistake.

I think what African American actors need is not so much Oscar nominations but more roles to choose from, more opportunities and more diverse characters to portray. It seems like they get stuck playing three different types of parts. Biographies of singers and athletics. A slave. Or various thugs or drug dealers. Why not the ceo of some corporation? A scientist. An astronaut. An inventor.

I donno. I'm not black so I should just shut up.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
02-03-2016, 08:43 AM
(01-03-2016 04:07 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 11:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I think Chris Rock's little staged act was pretty ridiculous and hypocritical. If he was so incensed with the Academy, he could have turned down the JOB. He was hired to do a job. I think turning the awards into a political forum for every actor's favorite cause, and making it a chance to rant to a captive audience is a mistake and abusive. Also the new structure of the academy, dumping out older actors, is an even bigger mistake.

I think what African American actors need is not so much Oscar nominations but more roles to choose from, more opportunities and more diverse characters to portray. It seems like they get stuck playing three different types of parts. Biographies of singers and athletics. A slave. Or various thugs or drug dealers. Why not the ceo of some corporation? A scientist. An astronaut. An inventor.

Morgan Freeman was President of the United States in Deep Impact. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2016, 08:52 AM
(02-03-2016 08:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 04:07 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I think what African American actors need is not so much Oscar nominations but more roles to choose from, more opportunities and more diverse characters to portray. It seems like they get stuck playing three different types of parts. Biographies of singers and athletics. A slave. Or various thugs or drug dealers. Why not the ceo of some corporation? A scientist. An astronaut. An inventor.

Morgan Freeman was President of the United States in Deep Impact. Consider

He was god too. Tongue
02-03-2016, 08:58 AM
Also Samuel L. Jackson was/is Nick Furry and Mace Windu. Head of S.H.E.I.L.D and a badass Jedi.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
02-03-2016, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 01:37 PM by CleverUsername.)
Also everything Will Smith does and forces his kid into.

And Zoe Saldana's roles.

And Falcon in the Marvel Universe.

Edit: And right now we're talking Oscars so I won't go into it because they ignore them, but there are also animated movie roles that don't fit into those categories.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post