Other Types of Kool-Aid You Don't Drink?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2014, 12:13 PM
Other Types of Kool-Aid You Don't Drink?
So, we're atheists and agnostics here, mostly. As such we don't "drink the Kool-Aid," of religion; meaning despite its undeniable popularity around the world most of us are managing just fine without it.

So it seems to me we all have the capacity to look at institutions or conventions that are beloved by most people, and thumb our noses at them. If that describes you, are there other flavors of Kool-Aid you choose not to drink?

For me it's professional sports. Don't get me wrong, I loved a good game of baseball or football as a kid. And I do think there's something to be said for the teamwork and social skills kids might get from organized sports. But to me, as a society it's always seemed really strange that we venerate grown adults, and pay them astronomical salaries, to basically play children's games while teachers, social workers, etc make next to nothing. I'll sit through a few innings on TV now and then, but we probably all have friends or relatives who take sports WAY too far. They never miss a game, they feel personally affronted and even depressed when some beloved player gets traded, or a coach retires. I mean seriously, why do you give so much of a fuck? It's just for amusement, you shouldn't make it your whole damn life!

I will make one exception and that's the Boston Red Sox - but that's only because I spent the first 25 years of my life watching them live out the Greek Tragedy-esque drama of coming SO close so many times. My dad and I bonded over the Red Sox like little else in life, so that's always been my one exception. But after 2004, after seeing them finally win the World Series, I don't think I've watched more than a half dozen whole games since then.

So yeah, is there anything besides religion that people can't seem to get enough of and you're just like, "Huh?"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
04-12-2014, 12:17 PM
RE: Other Types of Kool-Aid You Don't Drink?
Do you mean woo like homeopathy and psychics? I'd like them run out of townBig Grin
Reality TV is one, those big brothers and "survivors". Only reality show I like is Face Off, which they have special effect make up artists compete on various challenges to create movie monsters and stuff. Freaking amazing what they can do, and guess what there is no backstabbing like you'd get in other reality shows.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
04-12-2014, 12:46 PM
(04-12-2014 12:13 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  So yeah, is there anything besides religion that people can't seem to get enough of and you're just like, "Huh?"

Kim Kardashian

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
04-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Peace mongering.

'Murican Canadian
04-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Every time you drink Kool-aid a big fucking jug comes crashing through your wall.
An intresting metaphor don't ya think?
[+] 3 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
04-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Re: RE: Other Types of Kool-Aid You Don't Drink?
(04-12-2014 01:47 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Every time you drink Kool-aid a big fucking jug comes crashing through your wall.
An intresting metaphor don't ya think?
Oh, yeah!

Mostly, psychics, astrologers, those kinds.
04-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Being black, I drink every flavor of kool-aid.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 10 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
04-12-2014, 02:56 PM
^Sorry but I don't get the joke.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
04-12-2014, 03:07 PM
(04-12-2014 02:56 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  ^Sorry but I don't get the joke.

We soon have to do a TTA guide to stereotypes.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
04-12-2014, 06:18 PM
Raspberry - yuck.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post