Other life in the Solar System?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Other life in the Solar System?
Some people say there might be life on Mars and Europa, and they might just be right. But I beleive there might be life on more then just those two planetary bodies.

You see, life is extremely tough. More tough then most people think. We've found life on Earth in places which were originally thought to be uninhabitable. There's life at the bottom of the Mariana Trench, there's a species of PLANT in Antartica. (Similar to algae, except that it lives on the inside of rocks, and it only gets to photosynthesize a few days of the year. Forgot what it was called, just remember seeing it on a documentary), and life in the hottest deserts (away from an oasis). Let's face it. Life is tough, and continously able to adapt. Life on Earth has survived several mass extinctions. First a supermassive Ice Age that froze up the entire planet, then superactive volcanos in what is now Siberia, and then the joint assrape of an asteroid hitting what is now the Gulf of Mexico, and superactive volcanoes in what is now India.

So if life can live in precarious conditions on Earth, why not other planets. Mars is a possibility. It has atmosphere, and water. There might be microbial organsims living on the poles. Europa is a posibility. There is evidence to suggest under that ice there is a massive ocean. But what about the other planets? I beleive Titan is a viable option too. It's cold enough where there is liquid methane on the surface. Streams of methane, and methane rain. But what if life has adapted to where it used liquid methane like life on Earth uses water.It's a possibility. Venus on the other hand, is the exact opposite of Titan, but it still might contain life. It's the hottest planet in our Solar System (even hotter then Mercury) with extreme atmospheric pressure, but like I said earlier, life is tough.

There might even be life on the gas giants. I remember reading in 2010:Oddessy Two, there was life on Juipiter. It wasn't sentient, but it was life nontheless. It hung around the middle atmosphere, and was nothing more then floating gasbags. It was life though. I beleive this is a possibility, and if it can exist in Juipiter, why not Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune?

What are your thoughts on this?

I've got 2 tulpas, Taunav and Eris. If you don't know what a tulpa is, read this.
http://community.tulpa.info/thread-kiahd...-to-tulpas
If Taunav has anything to say, he'll be speaking in []
If Eris has anything to say, she'll be speaking in {}
If you think I'm insane, I don't care
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2013, 08:13 PM
RE: Other life in the Solar System?
I won't believe it just because it seems likely. I am going to need proof.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
03-03-2013, 08:16 PM
I agree that life is surprisingly adaptable. The reasons that Mars and Europa are considered the viable candidates is water. We have no evidence that life can form without it.

Maybe there are other chemistries that could be a base for life, but it seems unlikely. Carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen provide a chemistry of sufficient complexity.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2013, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 08:27 PM by Adenosis.)
(03-03-2013 07:59 PM)My proboscis sucks Wrote:  Some people say there might be life on Mars and Europa, and they might just be right. But I beleive there might be life on more then just those two planetary bodies.

You see, life is extremely tough. More tough then most people think. We've found life on Earth in places which were originally thought to be uninhabitable. There's life at the bottom of the Mariana Trench, there's a species of PLANT in Antartica. (Similar to algae, except that it lives on the inside of rocks, and it only gets to photosynthesize a few days of the year. Forgot what it was called, just remember seeing it on a documentary), and life in the hottest deserts (away from an oasis). Let's face it. Life is tough, and continously able to adapt. Life on Earth has survived several mass extinctions. First a supermassive Ice Age that froze up the entire planet, then superactive volcanos in what is now Siberia, and then the joint assrape of an asteroid hitting what is now the Gulf of Mexico, and superactive volcanoes in what is now India.

So if life can live in precarious conditions on Earth, why not other planets. Mars is a possibility. It has atmosphere, and water. There might be microbial organsims living on the poles. Europa is a posibility. There is evidence to suggest under that ice there is a massive ocean. But what about the other planets? I beleive Titan is a viable option too. It's cold enough where there is liquid methane on the surface. Streams of methane, and methane rain. But what if life has adapted to where it used liquid methane like life on Earth uses water.It's a possibility.

What are your thoughts on this?

You mean celestial bodies. If your going to throw in some moons you don't want to be specific by saying planets.

Any ways...

Liquid methane as a replacement for Water? Well I'm no chemist or expert in biology (yet) so I can't say much about the plausibility of such a thing. I do remember thinking about that in a Skype call the other day, Titan came up in chat and someone reminded me it had oceans of methane as opposed to water.

If there is life in other areas of the solar system, then I really hope we discover some soon. I'd be extremely interested in the differences between our life forms and theirs. To find both use the same DNA molecule would be intriguing, and would mean Earth was more likely seeded with life from meteorites or that abiogenesis, specifically that which results in DNA, is more common than we thought.

That thought reminds me of this article. http://www.nrao.edu/pr/2013/newchem/

Sorry for the rambling on Tongue

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

03-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Is it possible? Yes. Do we know it for certain yet? No.

That's why I can't wait till they send something to europa.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
03-03-2013, 08:31 PM
I think they will find silicon based life somewhere, since the outer shell has 4 electrons, just like carbon,m and it acts very similarly, chemically. I can't wait till they get a look in that ocean on Europa.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

03-03-2013, 08:43 PM
(03-03-2013 08:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  I agree that life is surprisingly adaptable. The reasons that Mars and Europa are considered the viable candidates is water. We have no evidence that life can form without it.

Maybe there are other chemistries that could be a base for life, but it seems unlikely. Carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen provide a chemistry of sufficient complexity.

This is why Methane as a replacement for water is viable. The chemical composition of methane is CH4. All organic compounds contain carbon and hydrogen. Many contain Oxygen and Nitrogen too, but not all. Oxygen and Nitrogen help life, but they are not required for life as we know it. So yeah, methane as a replacement for water is a possibility.

Also, Ato...I never said I beleive it. I just said it might be a possibility. I'm not going to be 100% certain on this unless there is undenaible evidence. It's just a theory, is all

I've got 2 tulpas, Taunav and Eris. If you don't know what a tulpa is, read this.
http://community.tulpa.info/thread-kiahd...-to-tulpas
If Taunav has anything to say, he'll be speaking in []
If Eris has anything to say, she'll be speaking in {}
If you think I'm insane, I don't care
[+] 1 user Likes My proboscis sucks's post
03-03-2013, 09:11 PM
(03-03-2013 08:43 PM)My proboscis sucks Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 08:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  I agree that life is surprisingly adaptable. The reasons that Mars and Europa are considered the viable candidates is water. We have no evidence that life can form without it.

This is why Methane as a replacement for water is viable. The chemical composition of methane is CH4. All organic compounds contain carbon and hydrogen. Many contain Oxygen and Nitrogen too, but not all. Oxygen and Nitrogen help life, but they are not required for life as we know it. So yeah, methane as a replacement for water is a possibility.

Also, Ato...I never said I beleive it. I just said it might be a possibility. I'm not going to be 100% certain on this unless there is undenaible evidence. It's just a theory, is all
I was stating that I won't believe it just because it seems logical. I never meant to claim you did.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
03-03-2013, 10:58 PM
All I could find was this...

http://www.space.com/18033-saturn-moon-t...nding.html

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
04-03-2013, 04:01 AM
(03-03-2013 07:59 PM)My proboscis sucks Wrote:  What are your thoughts on this?

There is a free course at Coursera that deals with this topic.....Astrobiology and the Search for Extraterrestrial Life. I took the course and I think its content would strongly appeal to you.
https://www.coursera.org/#course/astrobio
The course ended yesterday, but all the content is still up. I think you could still enroll and watch the video lectures and read the discussion board. Because the deadline on the quizzes has past, you might not be able to take them so I don't think at this point you could actually earn a certificate. But are you really interested in a certificate or learning something about the search for life in our solar system and beyond?

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?