Other operating systems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2016, 09:30 AM
Other operating systems
I use windows at the desktop for application support, but I build and maintain Linux servers.
If anybody wants to discuss these things in this non-tech forum, here you go.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2016, 06:40 PM
RE: Other operating systems
*shrug*
Used to start "computering" with Linux (at 21 years old) and was happy with it.
Met my husband, got into gaming, wine didn't do it, moved to windows.

Me installing a thing on windows for the first time ever:
*scratch head"
*click around*
*can't find apt-get or anything like it on what I thought is a normal terminal like in linux but in reality it's cmd*
Me: "Honey?"
Him: "Hm?"
Me: "So I downloaded this thing as you said. How do I install it?"
Him: "Click on it."
Me: *mind blown*

That was 7 years ago. Due to my gaming habits, I am still using Windows for everything because I find dual boot annoying (which I had for quite a while). Thought if it weren't for the gaming, I am 100% certain, I'd go back to Linux.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
06-06-2016, 07:05 PM
I really really wish there was a solution better than dual boot for running two OSs. Or rather, I wish Wine really got some awesome funding and made Windows apps completely cross-platform to Linux, then I could ditch Windows and never look back... Sigh Undecided As it is I have to make do. Linux is soooooooo nice. It works, there's no viruses, it's fast. I love it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-06-2016, 08:39 AM
Other operating systems? Everything in my house runs Linux. The phones are Android. The PCs are Ubuntu. My router runs some kind of Linux. My kids play Minecraft and run Steam on Linux. I think my wireless access point is running a proprietary Cisco platform, so I guess that counts as "other", right?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
07-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Lol, yes indeed.
My intro was a college roomie who got me started with FreeBSD. He and I built my first router computer with a 486 with 16 MB of ram, a pair of 10mb network cards and a 300 MB hard drive. For sentimental reasons it sits out in a shed and will still boot up, though the drive is making bad noises now. I built several file servers on FreeBSD, then switched to Debian.
My clients are all on linux fileservers, DVRs for security cameras, and back in the day I had fax servers using hylafax.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post