Other people's morals, not your morals.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2014, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2014 01:54 AM by Adrianime.)
Other people's morals, not your morals.
I'm just curious if anybody ever has conflict over a standard social moral that is contrary to their own personal morals? Or perhaps it just isn't personally important to them. By a standard social moral, I mean a moral that is widely adopted in the society in which you live.

*note: not all of these may be "moral" issues*
*note2: these are not necessarily my views, but rather just examples I thought up*
For instance:
-Casual sex vs only have sex when in a relationship.
-Two person exclusive relationships vs polyamorous relationships.
-Tipping vs not tipping.
-Donating vs not donating.
-Declawing animals vs not declawing animals.
-Neutering vs not neutering.
-Riding horses vs not riding horses.

Some of those are a bit more trivial I guess. But does anybody feel pressured to act against their will because the "social moral" has you do something that you don't actually believe in?

I realize that these can be personal issues and may be hard to share. But I'm just curious.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2014, 01:53 AM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2014 02:47 AM by Adrianime.)
RE: Other people's morals, not your morals.
An example for me is....through learning about sexuality I've basically come to the point where I don't think enjoying sex or having a lot of it should be shamed in any way. But growing up I always believed that being promiscuous was wrong. I always believed casual sex was wrong. Now I think consensual casual sex is fine, if it is done safely, and responsibly. It is a natural human urge, I don't feel the rules we slap on it have any moral meaning most of the time. But at the same time, if I ever did have casual sex (and I never have) I would be completely ashamed to ever admit it to anybody. I would feel like people would look at me like scum, which is probably what holds me back from it the most. Aside from health and safety reasons that is.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
14-01-2014, 02:50 AM
1) I'm skeptical of donating money to large charities, because I'm not sure if the money makes it to those who need it. I've had a few people get angry at me over this, and claim "just giving" is the right thing to do.

2) It seems many people have a belief that small children have to be constantly deferred to, and not deferring to them is immoral; I totally disagree.
[+] 2 users Like Juv's post
14-01-2014, 03:00 AM
Denying the holocaust is illegal here. And although I find it appauling when people deny it, I feel that is somehow limits free speech in principle.

I also disagree with my countries drug laws.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
14-01-2014, 06:55 AM
(14-01-2014 01:48 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Some of those are a bit more trivial I guess. But does anybody feel pressured to act against their will because the "social moral" has you do something that you don't actually believe in?
No.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
14-01-2014, 07:15 AM
Evolution is a range, so morals are also a range, and like evolution are diverse and ever changing.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-01-2014, 07:20 AM
(14-01-2014 03:00 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Denying the holocaust is illegal here. And although I find it appauling when people deny it, I feel that is somehow limits free speech in principle.

I also disagree with my countries drug laws.

Although I understand it, yea, it still creeps me out. It's almost as if they are too afraid to use their own free speech to call the deniers assholes.

This is the problem I have with the well intended left. It would be nice in a utopia to think everyone will only say nice things about you and always be reasonable. But reality is messy and there are stupid idiots, who deny reality, our species has always produced these idiots.

I prefer more an open society based on the common law that you can say the most stupid and offensive things and others at the same time have the right to call them stupid and offensive.

As an atheist having been called immoral and been threatened by both Christians and Muslims and been equated to Hitler and Stalin, no, I do not want to prevent people from making those claims. I simply want the ability to tell them they are full of fucking shit.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
14-01-2014, 07:22 AM
I think sex should be for mutually agreed fun, procreation, experimenting.

But its immoral to purchase sex from someone who does not want too have sex with you.
I pretty much stand alone in this principle but I feel I'm correct.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
14-01-2014, 07:32 AM
(14-01-2014 01:48 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  -Riding horses vs not riding horses.

I've never heard of that one. I could see being against the horse racing industry, but just riding? Consider

which leads me to think that most of these might be an education issue. When you see the other side of the coin.

Donating- people want to know their $ isn't just making someone rich but actually being used for good.
Tipping- becomes much clearer when you are the one working for tips. In the US, its the way the system is set up. Restaurant owners don't pay their workers minimum wage (like in other retail jobs).

and you have to look at the level of harm to others.

casual sex is fine for consenting, responsible adults. But far too often, people don't behave responsibly, IMO. I would hope that if you are into casual sex, that you would also be inclined to be responsible about birth control (but I know many people with kids to many different baby daddies Dodgy ), I would hope that if you are into casual sex that you would tell your partner (who thinks you two are monogamous).

IMO- the more restrictive rules- only have sex when in a monogamous relationship- for instance, come about because we've learned many adults are irresponsible to others.

just my $.02

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
14-01-2014, 09:05 AM
I will tackle the list when I can............but till then............ Aren't HORSES meant to be ridden? WTF?
LOL

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post