Other people's morals, not your morals.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2014, 04:47 PM
RE: Other people's morals, not your morals.
(14-01-2014 02:50 AM)Juv Wrote:  1)I'm skeptical of donating money to large charities, because I'm not sure if the money makes it to those who need it. I've had a few people get angry at me over this, and claim "just giving" is the right thing to do.
That's exactly something my mom has said in the past.
(14-01-2014 07:32 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Tipping- becomes much clearer when you are the one working for tips. In the US, its the way the system is set up. Restaurant owners don't pay their workers minimum wage (like in other retail jobs).
In Washington, all staff members at a restaurant (or any job) get paid at least the state minimum wage (>$9/hour). So that particular argument doesn't apply around here.
(14-01-2014 09:05 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I will tackle the list when I can............but till then............ Aren't HORSES meant to be ridden? WTF?
LOL
Haha, it's a silly one. I personally view what we do to horses as cruel -- and a form of slavery. But I tend to over-sympathize with many animals.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2014, 04:57 PM
I don't know if this counts. Where I live it is standard to have boys circumcised, but I am totally against it and I think it's morally wrong.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 4 users Like Losty's post
14-01-2014, 05:06 PM
(14-01-2014 04:57 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I don't know if this counts. Where I live it is standard to have boys circumcised, but I am totally against it and I think it's morally wrong.

Yeah, I'm actually worried about this. I've tentatively brought up the subject with my husband. He says of course if we have a boy he will be circumcised!! He thinks I'm crazy for not wanting to. Confused it could turn into a huge fight down the road lol
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
14-01-2014, 05:12 PM
My biggest issue is that in most med schools in the US teach future doctors are actually taught that it reduces the risk of cancer and that is not true. Also circumcision becomes medically necessary sometimes in the US because not even doctors know how to care for a baby's foreskin. It's ridiculous.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
14-01-2014, 05:56 PM
We did not circ our son and it caused quite a bit of contention amongst family members. I knew my research was sound and I found it really weird that my family was all up in the business of my sons genitals.

Also, my sig other was timid about the idea at first, I think when I showed him the Penn & Teller Bullshit episode on the subject he changed his mind. My sons is now 7 and we don't give his penis a second thought these days. He's just a normal kid.
[+] 4 users Like jaxx's post
14-01-2014, 06:04 PM
I judge what is right not necessarily by my personal beliefs but by the cost/benefit to others or in the context of the situation. Take declawing, for example: I want another cat but although I loved my last cat, she shredded some VERY expensive furniture no matter what we did to deter her. If I were to rescue another kitty, she would be declawed. I don't love the idea, but this kitty would probably be put to sleep otherwise, so lesser of two evils, I suppose.
14-01-2014, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2014 06:11 PM by Losty.)
My ex-husband is first generation American. He was horrified when I told him what circumcision was haha. I was a little freaked out when he told me that our son was absolutely not having one. When I talked to my doctor about it he said, oh they won't ask your husband anyways they'll ask you so you just need to decide what you want to do. So I spent my entire pregnancy researching it and obsessing over it. I read horror stories of foreskins that were forced to retract by doctors who didn't know any better. My daughter's pediatrician told me that uncircumcised boys usually get infections and penile cancer!! He was very offended when I told him he was wrong! It was so much craziness and all the stress for nothing. Besides having to run off more than one nurse who was "just taking him to be circumcised" (with a big red card in his rolling crib that said Do Not Circumcise), I haven't thought about my son's penis since he was born. He's only 4 but he hasn't had any problems yet and I doubt he will.

14-01-2014, 06:08 PM
(14-01-2014 06:04 PM)jaxx Wrote:  I judge what is right not necessarily by my personal beliefs but by the cost/benefit to others or in the context of the situation. Take declawing, for example: I want another cat but although I loved my last cat, she shredded some VERY expensive furniture no matter what we did to deter her. If I were to rescue another kitty, she would be declawed. I don't love the idea, but this kitty would probably be put to sleep otherwise, so lesser of two evils, I suppose.

Agreed, it breaks my heart Confused but I declaw, only front paws though, and only because they will be strictly indoor cats. Yes
14-01-2014, 06:14 PM
(14-01-2014 06:08 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 06:04 PM)jaxx Wrote:  I judge what is right not necessarily by my personal beliefs but by the cost/benefit to others or in the context of the situation. Take declawing, for example: I want another cat but although I loved my last cat, she shredded some VERY expensive furniture no matter what we did to deter her. If I were to rescue another kitty, she would be declawed. I don't love the idea, but this kitty would probably be put to sleep otherwise, so lesser of two evils, I suppose.

Agreed, it breaks my heart Confused but I declaw, only front paws though, and only because they will be strictly indoor cats. Yes

I don't think it's immoral to have a cat declawed. I only think it's immoral to decide you don't want a cat anymore and "set it free" outside and it's doubly evil if you've had the cat declawed.

[+] 3 users Like Losty's post
14-01-2014, 07:02 PM
(14-01-2014 06:14 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 06:08 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Agreed, it breaks my heart Confused but I declaw, only front paws though, and only because they will be strictly indoor cats. Yes

I don't think it's immoral to have a cat declawed. I only think it's immoral to decide you don't want a cat anymore and "set it free" outside and it's doubly evil if you've had the cat declawed.

No doubt. Btw, my last kitty died at 13, even though I hated the claws, I put up with it because her life was my responsibility. Plus, she was the most awesome cat ever and I thought of her as a first child. Heart
[+] 2 users Like jaxx's post