Other people's morals, not your morals.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2014, 07:57 PM
RE: Other people's morals, not your morals.
Attitudes towards:
nudity e.g. on a forum and in public
social status e.g. celebrity worship / idolatry
ignorance is bliss... I got no prob with people wanting to live in a bubble but I'm not impressed by the inverted snobbery regarding ridiculing intellectuals for being smart.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
15-01-2014, 03:35 AM
(14-01-2014 01:48 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  ... But does anybody feel pressured to act against their will because the "social moral" has you do something that you don't actually believe in?
No.

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
15-01-2014, 03:41 AM
(14-01-2014 09:05 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I will tackle the list when I can............but till then............ Aren't HORSES meant to be ridden? WTF?
LOL

My wife thinks so.
Although her horses contribute absolutely nothing when compared to what they cost every month.
Which is why I console myself with the view that they are a potential apocalyptic resource.

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
[+] 3 users Like Kestrel's post
15-01-2014, 07:30 AM
(14-01-2014 07:57 PM)DLJ Wrote:  ...celebrity worship / idolatry

This.

I fucking despise celebrity news coverage and publications SPECIFICALLY dedicated to "Hollywood" news. Absolutely disgustingly pretentious and pompous, and it breeds a culture of superficiality and narcissism. I feel the same way about the pop music industry as well, in fact they are usually at the forefront of such publications.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
15-01-2014, 08:19 AM
(14-01-2014 04:47 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 02:50 AM)Juv Wrote:  1)I'm skeptical of donating money to large charities, because I'm not sure if the money makes it to those who need it. I've had a few people get angry at me over this, and claim "just giving" is the right thing to do.
That's exactly something my mom has said in the past.
(14-01-2014 07:32 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Tipping- becomes much clearer when you are the one working for tips. In the US, its the way the system is set up. Restaurant owners don't pay their workers minimum wage (like in other retail jobs).
In Washington, all staff members at a restaurant (or any job) get paid at least the state minimum wage (>$9/hour). So that particular argument doesn't apply around here.
(14-01-2014 09:05 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I will tackle the list when I can............but till then............ Aren't HORSES meant to be ridden? WTF?
LOL
Haha, it's a silly one. I personally view what we do to horses as cruel -- and a form of slavery. But I tend to over-sympathize with many animals.

I hope not to regret this but ok...........I'll bite.
Now.... how exactly is a horse Not for riding? And do you feel ALL horses are treated cruelly or just some? Cause there's a ranch near me where the horses have a more posh life than I do.

I am though most curious as to how the horse is not for riding? Cause that's a relationship that goes back many many centuries.........man and beast.
Do you feel it's wrong to domesticate dogs too?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
15-01-2014, 09:35 AM
I don't think we should domesticate wild horses, but I don't have any problem with riding the ones that are already domesticated or the ones born to them. Thinking of riding a horse as cruelty is a weird concept to me. When I was a kid my grandpa's horse Molly was like my best friend. I would hug her, brush her, and love on her and then I would hop up on her back and tell her all of my problems. She never seemed to mind. I hardly ever used a saddle or bridal. I just let her run wherever she wanted to. Obviously I don't speak horse, but I'm pretty sure she loved me too.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
15-01-2014, 09:39 AM
(15-01-2014 09:35 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I don't think we should domesticate wild horses, but I don't have any problem with riding the ones that are already domesticated or the ones born to them. Thinking of riding a horse as cruelty is a weird concept to me. When I was a kid my grandpa's horse Molly was like my best friend. I would hug her, brush her, and love on her and then I would hop up on her back and tell her all of my problems. She never seemed to mind. I hardly ever used a saddle or bridal. I just let her run wherever she wanted to. Obviously I don't speak horse, but I'm pretty sure she loved me too.

thank you. Heart
Some breeds are developed for use. Period. Kind of like people getting pissy about eating steak. No........some cows are grown Just FOR that purpose.

Wild horses? Well yeah.......... they must be left alone

or

they're not wild now are they?
Blink

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
15-01-2014, 10:04 AM
I would not courtesy to the queen if ever I met her, nor would I nod my head.

I do not think that pedophiles and murderers should be executued.

Animals shouldnt be treated so cruelly by our species on this planet.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
15-01-2014, 12:06 PM
(14-01-2014 07:02 PM)jaxx Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 06:14 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I don't think it's immoral to have a cat declawed. I only think it's immoral to decide you don't want a cat anymore and "set it free" outside and it's doubly evil if you've had the cat declawed.

No doubt. Btw, my last kitty died at 13, even though I hated the claws, I put up with it because her life was my responsibility. Plus, she was the most awesome cat ever and I thought of her as a first child. Heart

Sorry, ladies, I call bullshit.

De-clawing a cat is cruel and inhumane. I suggest instead of clipping your nails, have your fingers amputated at the first joint.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-01-2014, 02:38 PM
(15-01-2014 08:19 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I hope not to regret this but ok...........I'll bite.
Now.... how exactly is a horse Not for riding? And do you feel ALL horses are treated cruelly or just some? Cause there's a ranch near me where the horses have a more posh life than I do.

I am though most curious as to how the horse is not for riding? Cause that's a relationship that goes back many many centuries.........man and beast.
Do you feel it's wrong to domesticate dogs too?
The easiest way to put it is that I don't think human life and animal life are objectively different in value. I know I personally tend to value human life more because that's my tribal instinct, but I still put great value on animal life as well.

Because of this I often use my moral compass, the silver rule, when looking at what we do to animals. In the case of horses, I imagine that I would not appreciate being kept in a tiny stable or forced to carry others on my back for their enjoyment.

It's my own personal view, I don't expect anybody to get it.

And domesticating dogs...well dogs can live pretty decent lives if they aren't kept in crates or abused. I don't think the answer is "free all animals!" I just say don't physically do stuff to animals that you wouldn't do to a person. Or at least I try to go by that.

It's hard for me to cope with how I feel about animals and still eat meat...but I do. I only eat 4 animals (or at least try to) though because I've been desensitized to their horrible lives and deaths for my own gain.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.