Other *scientific* alternative theories to the big bang, or before the big bang?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2011, 07:06 AM

Other *scientific* alternative theories to the big bang, or before the big bang?
I find it a little fascinating that most scientists seem to accept the big bang as factual evidence of the beginning of everything. Yes I agree, it's a pretty good theory, but aside from some facts (such as the universe is continuously expanding) i find it a little hard to believe that this is 100% solid proof of the beginning of time and matter.

I don't believe that God popped out of nowhere and waved a magic wand and created shit in 7 days though, that is nonsense.

I'd be interested to watch any videos, read articles, or hear YOUR ideas of alternative ideas as to the beginning of the universe. Or if the big bang did happen (which is simple enough), what may have triggered it. I like the idea of Multiverse/parallel universes, even though I can only wrap my head around so much. Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2011, 08:33 AM

RE: Other *scientific* alternative theories to the big bang, or before the big bang?
I think discussing our ideas about the origins of the universe is kind of frivolous, akin to a bunch of goat herders coming up with a bunch of random shit (AKA genesis), unless one of us is indeed a qualified physicist.

The most common qualified opinion I've heard of is the looping universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_model
22-01-2011, 12:12 AM
RE: Other *scientific* alternative theories to the big bang, or before the big bang?
(21-01-2011 07:06 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  I find it a little fascinating that most scientists seem to accept the big bang as factual evidence of the beginning of everything.

This is because all the evidence that we have, at this time, all points to the universe expanding from a single point. There isn't any evidence, at this time, that disputes that.

If the big bang is not a fact, then there will be evidence found, in the future, to dispute it, and more and more evidence will arrive to over-throw the theory. Until then, this our only model that fits the evidence, and it may become the final model because it may be accurate.

If the model is accurate you do not need any alternate theories because you got the right one already.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2011, 01:30 AM
This may be a n00bish question, but how do we determine that the universe is expanding? Can we see the edge of the universe and observe it's borders (lol) or do we observe that the universe around us has expansive qualities? (things replicating and multiplying?)

P.S. I'm high again. Shimsham Shazizzle!

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
22-01-2011, 01:33 AM
(22-01-2011 01:30 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  This may be a n00bish question, but how do we determine that the universe is expanding? Can we see the edge of the universe and observe it's borders (lol) or do we observe that the universe around us has expansive qualities? (things replicating and multiplying?)

P.S. I'm high again. Shimsham Shazizzle!

No, it has to do with galaxies moving away from one another , and the redshift.
See this lecture :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo
22-01-2011, 01:36 AM
Thanks! I'll watch it when my room stops vibrating!

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
22-01-2011, 10:39 AM

Perhaps I should have put this in the philosophy section, because on second thought it's not really "scientific" to sit around and ponder things we don't know. I understand that it's the best evidence we have at the moment, but I would still wonder why there are not more scientists that might say "it may have been the beginning of OUR universe, but perhaps not the beginning of EVERYTHING, so I'm not sure..."
22-01-2011, 03:04 PM

But as far as we can ascertain and observe, our universe is everything. It is useless for science to bonder beyond that which exists. There are ideas of parallel universes, but we cannot observe or explore them (yet), and so it is nothing more than science fiction. Scientists deal with what is and what is not. They entertain the possible only to test whether the possibility is true or not. Currently, we cannot test the hypothesis of multiverses and whatnot.

And, in case you don't want to watch the lecture, we know that galaxies are moving apart form us because we can measure the amount that the wavelength of their light has stretched out as it travels to us, kind of like how a the frequency of the sound of a receding car can help you determine the velocity that that car is moving away from you.

Since everything in the universe is moving apart, we can conclude that space itself is expanding.
22-01-2011, 03:41 PM
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/universe-...ogy-quest/

Very interesting documentary. Brings about a different view of not only the origin of the universe, but also of the "scientific community" in general.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
22-01-2011, 06:08 PM
If Arp is right, then the evidence will be found to support his theories, but what if he is just plain wrong, and what if he is a crack-pot?

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.