Ottawa

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2014, 10:04 PM
RE: Ottawa
(22-10-2014 09:56 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  To be fair that is his solution to everything else as well.

I can second that.

Occasional TTA returner then leaverer.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2014, 10:06 PM
It worked for Dracula and it can work for me too.

[+] 5 users Like Dark Light's post
23-10-2014, 03:53 AM
(22-10-2014 09:49 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(22-10-2014 05:23 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  Not surprised at all that this was (likely) an Islamist. Islam truly is the worst religion. Sigh.

This reminds me of an article I read earlier... Pew recently conducted a survey asking residents in 40 countries what they perceive to be the biggest threat to the world. Surprisingly, about a third of people in the middle east think religion and race issues are the worst... too bad they're not the majority.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...-you-live/

Not sure that religion alone is the greatest threat, but when couple with nuclear weapons its certainly worrisome.

I would simply say that Islam is not the worst religion.

The evidence that it is a contender for the title is strong.

Quote:It is instead a religion not typically restrained by secular constraints.

True dat.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-10-2014, 10:38 AM
(23-10-2014 03:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  The evidence that it is a contender for the title is strong.

Well, Christianity was once just as evil and cruel. The only reason the West was set free of its blight is because of the reintroduction of Greek thought, ironically due to Islam.

23-10-2014, 10:42 AM
(23-10-2014 10:38 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(23-10-2014 03:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  The evidence that it is a contender for the title is strong.

Well, Christianity was once just as evil and cruel. The only reason the West was set free of its blight is because of the reintroduction of Greek thought, ironically due to Islam.

The Christian Nations in Africa (Rwanda, Uganda etc) are all as horrible and oppressive as the muslim states.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
23-10-2014, 10:45 AM
(23-10-2014 10:42 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(23-10-2014 10:38 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Well, Christianity was once just as evil and cruel. The only reason the West was set free of its blight is because of the reintroduction of Greek thought, ironically due to Islam.

The Christian Nations in Africa (Rwanda, Uganda etc) are all as horrible and oppressive as the muslim states.

You make an ecumenical argument. Drinking Beverage

23-10-2014, 10:46 AM
(23-10-2014 10:38 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

I would say it was Enlightenment thought that did it; the preserved knowledge of the Greeks was only one thread in that broader tapestry.

23-10-2014, 12:16 PM
(23-10-2014 10:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  I would say it was Enlightenment thought that did it; the preserved knowledge of the Greeks was only one thread in that broader tapestry.

The Enlightenment was the product of Greek thought reintroduced to Europe, was it not? Consider

23-10-2014, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2014 12:31 PM by Chas.)
(23-10-2014 12:16 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(23-10-2014 10:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  I would say it was Enlightenment thought that did it; the preserved knowledge of the Greeks was only one thread in that broader tapestry.

The Enlightenment was the product of Greek thought reintroduced to Europe, was it not? Consider

I don't think so; it was just one element. The roots of The Enlightenment trace back to The Renaissance, its back to 13th century rediscovery of Greek thought (Aquinas, et al.).

history.com Wrote:The Enlightenment’s important 17th-century precursors included the Englishmen Francis Bacon and Thomas Hobbes, the Frenchman Renee Descartes and the key natural philosophers of the Scientific Revolution, including Galileo, Kepler and Leibniz. Its roots are usually traced to 1680s England, where in the span of three years Isaac Newton published his “Principia Mathematica” (1686) and John Locke his “Essay Concerning Human Understanding” (1689)—two works that provided the scientific, mathematical and philosophical toolkit for the Enlightenment’s major advances.

23-10-2014, 01:28 PM
(23-10-2014 12:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't think so; it was just one element. The roots of The Enlightenment trace back to The Renaissance, its back to 13th century rediscovery of Greek thought (Aquinas, et al.).

I thought the Renaissance was primarily caused by Aristotelian thought because of the return of Greek philosophy.