Ouija Boards.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Ouija Boards.
I gave up Ouija boards in my early twenties without ever seriously exploring the scientific explanation for this phenomenon.

It is possible to buy elaborate models or simply use an upturned glass on a smooth surface. This is surrounded by the alphabet and the words yes and no.
The group in the circle lightly places a finger on the rim of the glass and calls in the spirits. Quite often the glass will move quite agitatedly from letter to letter spelling out words, often obscenities.

I imagine Duke University would have looked into this sort of stuff, along with the probability of picking cards, psychic powers etc. I personally feel that most of this is hokus pokus but what of the scientific theories relating to any genuine cases.
Perhaps this issue is not seen as worthy of much scientific endeavour anyway. Huh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2011, 02:05 AM
RE: Ouija Boards.
To really test out the effectiveness of Ouija Boards, do the whole experiment blindfolded. Have a bystander record the words. To further confirm, invert the Ouija board or replace the board with a blank board while the subjects are blindfolded.

If Ouija Boards work, even under blindfolded conditions, coherent messages will appear.

The movement of the glass is most likely due to unconscious movements by those controlling the glass, a similar movement in which can be seen in the usage of dowsing rods.

Experimenting on random stuff FTW!

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 4 users Like robotworld's post
26-11-2011, 09:15 PM
As a cynical sceptical kinda person I was most impressed to be handed two No8 wire “dowsing rods” by a bloke who gave me instruction on how to do it after I went “yea, right”.
“Hold them pointing straight out in front of you and walk over there”
Bloody things moved across each other.
I did it about 5 times, each time they crossed.
The grinning bastard said “Not everyone can do it ether”
But I was blind, it was afterwards when he showed me on the plans where the water line ran.
I dunno how or why, electron flow?
So yea, I’ll concede that one but for the rest I’m not buying it until proved.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
26-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Robotworld explained it perfectly with that post. If the person using the ouija board can't see the letters they can't subconsciously move the glass to the letters but only to where they remember the letters being positioned. To get round this rotate the board.

If there was something supernatural going on then any messages would be as coherent as they were when the person could see the letters.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
26-11-2011, 10:38 PM
My Tarot kicks your Ouija's ass. End of story.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
26-11-2011, 11:41 PM
(26-11-2011 10:38 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  My Tarot kicks your Ouija's ass. End of story.

OOooh Tarot now thats really black stuff!

As for singularity and point zero the occultist Madam Helena Blavatsky wrote about this in the Secret Doctrine over 100 years ago; she may not of used that terminology. She was co founder of The Theosophical Society.Confused
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
27-11-2011, 12:28 AM
(26-11-2011 09:15 PM)Karl Wrote:  As a cynical sceptical kinda person I was most impressed to be handed two No8 wire “dowsing rods” by a bloke who gave me instruction on how to do it after I went “yea, right”.
“Hold them pointing straight out in front of you and walk over there”
Bloody things moved across each other.
I did it about 5 times, each time they crossed.
The grinning bastard said “Not everyone can do it ether”
But I was blind, it was afterwards when he showed me on the plans where the water line ran.
I dunno how or why, electron flow?
So yea, I’ll concede that one but for the rest I’m not buying it until proved.

Methinks the "walk over there" encoded a bit of info about where you were expected to find water. I've read a few articles on this stuff - they've done a lot of controlled experiments looking for even very weak effects and... nada. There have been a couple of positive results I think, even statistically significant ones, but those particular studies on further scrutiny have turned out to be flawed - statistics applied wrongly etc. Too lazy to look it up right now but google will surely yield results.
27-11-2011, 12:53 AM
(26-11-2011 11:41 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(26-11-2011 10:38 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  My Tarot kicks your Ouija's ass. End of story.

OOooh Tarot now thats really black stuff!

As for singularity and point zero the occultist Madam Helena Blavatsky wrote about this in the Secret Doctrine over 100 years ago; she may not of used that terminology. She was co founder of The Theosophical Society.Confused
It's the same kind of thing. "I" am dual-state identity. As a function of will, one state of my identity can be invested into an object within my conception. All a Ouija board is, is a reinforced pattern of identity based upon the alphabet. All the Tarot is, is a reinforced pattern of identity based upon archetype and imagery.

Simplify and compare like terms - Tarot kick Ouija ass every time. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-11-2011, 03:03 PM
If dowsing worked, why the hell would oil drilling company’s spend millions on prospection if they can accomplish the same using 50 cents of copper wire.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
27-11-2011, 03:59 PM
(26-11-2011 12:40 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I gave up Ouija boards in my early twenties without ever seriously exploring the scientific explanation for this phenomenon.

It is possible to buy elaborate models or simply use an upturned glass on a smooth surface. This is surrounded by the alphabet and the words yes and no.
The group in the circle lightly places a finger on the rim of the glass and calls in the spirits. Quite often the glass will move quite agitatedly from letter to letter spelling out words, often obscenities.

I imagine Duke University would have looked into this sort of stuff, along with the probability of picking cards, psychic powers etc. I personally feel that most of this is hokus pokus but what of the scientific theories relating to any genuine cases.
Perhaps this issue is not seen as worthy of much scientific endeavour anyway. Huh

Ouija boards have already been debunked by science multiple times. One of the main rationales as to why a Ouija board works is something known as the ideomotor effect. This video gives some interesting history about the Ouija board and shows it being debunked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykvd__Wv9po