Ouija Boards.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2011, 04:33 PM
RE: Ouija Boards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_effect

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2011, 11:33 PM
(27-11-2011 12:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(26-11-2011 09:15 PM)Karl Wrote:  As a cynical sceptical kinda person I was most impressed to be handed two No8 wire “dowsing rods” by a bloke who gave me instruction on how to do it after I went “yea, right”.
“Hold them pointing straight out in front of you and walk over there”
Bloody things moved across each other.
I did it about 5 times, each time they crossed.
The grinning bastard said “Not everyone can do it ether”
But I was blind, it was afterwards when he showed me on the plans where the water line ran.
I dunno how or why, electron flow?
So yea, I’ll concede that one but for the rest I’m not buying it until proved.

Methinks the "walk over there" encoded a bit of info about where you were expected to find water. I've read a few articles on this stuff - they've done a lot of controlled experiments looking for even very weak effects and... nada. There have been a couple of positive results I think, even statistically significant ones, but those particular studies on further scrutiny have turned out to be flawed - statistics applied wrongly etc. Too lazy to look it up right now but google will surely yield results.

I have to say I was impressed at the time, and have tried it again but I do look for a shallow line and try there first with mixed results, 30/70 positive but maybe influenced?
Maybe I was just conning myself?
Even a grumpy old realist like me would like a little magic in the world once in a while!
Oh well, I was amused if not a little irritated!

I’ll send the young lad my daughter hangs about with up and down the lawn for a while holding them while I study plans.
No real reason, I just like making him do things…

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Karl's post
28-11-2011, 03:28 AM
(27-11-2011 11:33 PM)Karl Wrote:  Even a grumpy old realist like me would like a little magic in the world once in a while!

For me the magic is this ideomotor effect Smile It's so crazy - the idea that involuntarily you make the rods/pendulum/whatever behave as you subconsciously want them to. I mean wow Big Grin It's just another example of how tricky it is to do real, amazing science, because we can fool ourselves so easily and so convincingly.

Dowsing would be cool if it did actually work and there are lots of crazy things which do work - compasses for example. I mean seriously, seriously? A thing that always points North? Must have been a crazy magical idea to the sailors who originally found out about it. Now we've studied it and kinda know how it works. Other crazy magical ideas we've studied and concluded they don't work, like dowsing, ghosts etc... But there's so much magical stuff in the world. Flick a switch, turn on a light. Some places now you walk into a room and the light comes on... crazy! How about fire? Fire's incredible stuff. Water's pretty amazing. Go swimming and you weigh less. It flows over things. And you can see through it. Weird.

What about Earthquakes? Eclipses? Electric eels? Nuclear energy's completely nuts! We can get so much energy out of something the size of one barrel of oil that we can power a city? The world is already magical...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post