Our Emotions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2013, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 10:36 AM by Riqposso.)
Our Emotions
I was argueing with my friend about this shit. He kept saying our emotions exist because of God . He thinks that We do have feelings because of our soul and God's Loving.
( Which I do not believe in a solid god or a soul that exists )

According to what I know , Our feelings and emotions are necessary symptoms of Our Body's chemical and physical circumstances.

My friend is just a loving believer and he just keeps saying God loves you , don't be an atheist or he'll burn ya! Big Grin

Smile

His neighbour brings Ashure , They eat it with bread !
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Riqposso's post
10-08-2013, 10:37 AM
RE: Our Emotions
Feelings are a sense like touch and sight, etc. I would suggest reading up on how feelings evolved, such as empathy (caring/understanding) being the base emotions. Many think hate and love are opposite emotions but they are in fact closely related since both require one cares. The opposite of love is apathy. Our feelings evolved because we are social creatures (herd/pack animals) and it's important to our survival.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
10-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Feelings?

That's a girl thing.

Dodgy

Not all gods are female.

It is a logical extension of the creation-argument. If the gods created humans then of course they created emotions and feelings and shit.

What was your retort?

10-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Emotions are an alert system that prods our conscious mind to decide on taking action.

They are a complicated conglomoration of hardware, software and chemistry.

The hardware is of course the product of evolution. The software is life experience. The chemistry is hormones (and perhaps other things). Unfortunately these don't always balance out the way they are supposed to, so you get exaggerated or underdeveloped emotions at times or in individuals.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
10-08-2013, 11:45 AM
(10-08-2013 11:24 AM)Dom Wrote:  Emotions are an alert system that prods our conscious mind to decide on taking action.

They are a complicated conglomoration of hardware, software and chemistry.

The hardware is of course the product of evolution. The software is life experience. The chemistry is hormones (and perhaps other things). Unfortunately these don't always balance out the way they are supposed to, so you get exaggerated or underdeveloped emotions at times or in individuals.

Very nice answer. That is exactly what the primatologist Frans de Waal says in his most recent book.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
10-08-2013, 11:54 AM
It just makes sense that way. The hardware takes care of the survival of the species, the software modifies it to adapt to the individual, and the chemistry further fine tunes it to the current situation.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-08-2013, 12:01 PM
(10-08-2013 11:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  It just makes sense that way. The hardware takes care of the survival of the species, the software modifies it to adapt to the individual, and the chemistry further fine tunes it to the current situation.

Interesting analogy.

The chemistry is impacted by input (environment, food, knowledge(?)) so I guess this equates to 'data'.

10-08-2013, 12:30 PM
(10-08-2013 12:01 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(10-08-2013 11:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  It just makes sense that way. The hardware takes care of the survival of the species, the software modifies it to adapt to the individual, and the chemistry further fine tunes it to the current situation.

Interesting analogy.

The chemistry is impacted by input (environment, food, knowledge(?)) so I guess this equates to 'data'.

Knowledge (experience) comes under software. Chemistry is hormones, all items produced by your glands such as adrenalin etc. The chemistry is the instant reaction that triggers the production of one chemical or another... and yes, it can be influenced by the type of food you eat etc.

People poopoo emotions, but really, they are crucial to all humans. Most of the time people don't even realize how much they are influenced by emotions. Just because you are not a drama queen doesn't mean you are not driven by your emotions.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-08-2013, 11:37 PM
(10-08-2013 11:45 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  [quote='Dom' pid='358262' dateline='1376155466']
...That is exactly what the primatologist Frans de Waal says in his most recent book.

I find him interesting. Do you have a quote on that.
would be cool to read his exact words.

I think feelings can motivate us so they are very important.
11-08-2013, 12:32 AM
I think emotions are instincts....seems pretty simple to me.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user