Our Father’s Not in Heaven: The New Black Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Our Father’s Not in Heaven: The New Black Atheism
http://gawker.com/5911224/our-fathers-no...ck-atheism

A really intense article with some equally intense comments. Definitely recommend that you read it. A lot of what is stated also applies to the Hispanic community (I know from experience).

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like lightninlives's post
18-05-2012, 08:59 PM
RE: Our Father’s Not in Heaven: The New Black Atheism
(17-05-2012 09:17 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  http://gawker.com/5911224/our-fathers-no...ck-atheism

A really intense article with some equally intense comments. Definitely recommend that you read it. A lot of what is stated also applies to the Hispanic community (I know from experience).
I see a lot of sacred cows started to die off here at the dawn of the 21st Century. The future looks bright.
[+] 1 user Likes Blood's post
19-05-2012, 06:02 AM
That was a really good read. Thanks for that.

It reflects my own views as well. I am black and I understand where he's coming from. There's a stigma towards a black person saying 'I don't believe in God' or 'I'm not religious' or even the more extreme 'I think we'd be better off without religion' (I know, hardcore stuff). My friend asked me 'What religion do you follow?' I just said 'None' then she was surprised. She just expected me to be a really religious person. It's that sort of stuff that happens. I'm sure it's because of history. Black people have obviously gone through tough times in the past and they think that it's God that has brought their success again. Instead of dedicated people fighting for equality. Instead of thanking people like MLK they'd say thank God for MLK... it takes away from his achievements.

I also think that some people just link race with religious beliefs. Where I'm from you'll see a lot more white atheists than black atheists so they assume that all white people are either atheists or not really that religious (which then leads to the absurd claim that a lot of white people are irresponsible when it comes to sex. Ironically, those they look down on like that are actually religious. Abstinence only anyone?) It's an odd thing. I thought we had got past that stage of subtle discrimination.

It extends to other areas of life as well. I wrote a letter to my local MP (like your local republican in America or something like that) about the issue of same sex marriage. She replied with the same question dodging replies and references to civil unions over and over again. It didn't make much progress. Anyway, my mum saw the letter and she was surprised and found it really odd. She had the same reaction to Barack Obama saying he supports gay marriage. 'Why did he do that?!' in a disgusted tone. She expected me to hold the same views.

Black people do not need any god. It's not like they'll stop being black once they stop believing in god. It honestly feels like they're scared of that happening.

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
[+] 2 users Like ALovelyChickenMan's post
19-05-2012, 09:20 AM
(17-05-2012 09:17 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  http://gawker.com/5911224/our-fathers-no...ck-atheism

Thanks for this. I was a good article. Personally I think every race/group/demographic needs someone like Neil Degrasse Tyson as a spokesperson.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
19-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Atheism is not a "white thing", it's a "human thing"
Welcome all...

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post